Oral Thrush Getting Worse On This Diet

Shesjay

Thanks for sharing Swandattur. Unfortunately I couldn't find any online in Australia.

I contacted Dr Peat about it (I was scared, it was worsening and even spreading to my lips). Long story short he said that vinegar (due to acetic acid) and saturated fats are mildly toxic to fungi without being harmful to people. Vinegar is best on grated carrot so it reaches the gut. I was having quite a lot of melon & mango but he said these foods can lead to bacterial problems in the small intestine. Said that the coconut oil I've been having may be adding to the problem if not properly refined.

I was already having a carrot dipped in some vinegar, and most of my saturated fat was coming from refined coconut oil & 2% milk. 2-3 days ago I switched to full cream milk, am stopping fruit for a small while (then I'll add back watery fruits/juice like RP suggested), and switched to ghee. I've also started eating 2 carrot salads a day (grated carrot, 1 tbsp vinegar, 2tsp olive oil, salt. It's finally starting to clear up! Last night I rinsed my mouth out with activated charcoal which also may have helped. I'm still a mess and the doctors are trying to figure out why I'm getting it in the first place (perhaps it's just hypothyroidism??).

Anyway, hope this might help someone else out there.

Mittir

@Shesjay
I never thought unrefined coconut oil could be contributing to oral thrush.
I saw a big improvement when i started adding 1-2 tbs of coconut oil to carrot salad.
It is always advised to increase consumption of coconut oil slowly to avoid
digestion issues. I started with 1 tsp a week and slowly increased to 3-4 tbs
over few months.Did you slowly increase your dose?
I think most people ignore how important gut health is in maintaining a good health.
If you want you can add RP's response on oral thrush to "Email Advice Depository".

Swandattur

On a similar topic, does anyone know if mastic gum is really good for fighting bad bacteria in the mouth and stomach safely?

Shesjay

@Mittir, I don't think it should contribute to oral thrush, but I'd still rather be safe than sorry. I have been taking coconut oil since April, but I started off with a large dose. Then I stopped and only used it in cooking, and then started building up. I've never noticed any benefit, but then again the only thing I've really noticed to benefit from is honey, and that was right after adding sugar back in. Although, yesterday the shops didn't have my brand of full-cream milk so I'm stuck with 2% again today. The last 2 days on the full-cream milk I was able to focus better and wasn't quite so weak - these problems are back today. I wonder if the bit of extra saturated fat helped with that.
I agree about gut health being important, but I can't seem to figure out how to fix it. I'm very confused about many things..
Yeah, I'll add RP's response when I finally get around to having my computer fixed - I can't be bothered on my phone!

Shesjay

So I just got some blood test results back and my TSH was at 0.01, t3 a bit over normal and t4 in range. Unfortunately the panel did not include rt3. I don't understand how I can feel so bad & have oral thrush with results like this, unless rt3 is high? They're trying to say that I'm hyperthyroid, which amused me... I'm still gaining weight, I'd think it were muscle if I weren't also still getting cushings style stretch marks. :(

Swandattur

Maybe it is reverse T3. Does the 2% milk have added vitamins? With those vitamins come bacterial impurities if I understand correctly.

Shesjay

I think I'll try switching back to low doses cynomel only for a while and see what happens.
My milk has no additives; we're fortunate over here in that it is rare to find milk with anything extra.

P.s. I hope my blobs of text didn't hide your question too much. I hadn't heard of mastic gum but looked it up and it sounds interesting!

Swandattur

That's good about the milk. It's hard to find plain unadulterated milk here in the US. Well, the mastic gum is a bit off topic, but it stil concerns mouth and digestive health, so maybe wasn't too off base. :)

Kasper

Milk and OJ sometimes give me a white tongue...

Interstingly, my tongue is cleanest after drinking coke...

SaltGirl

I eat and drink a boatload of sugar, but never had oral thrush problems with one exception. After I went to a hospital for some major surgery I was some hardcore antibacterials which made me get a lot of oral thrush. Often I felt like I couldn't swallow normally.

Only thing that has helped me is copper(as sodium copper complex) and maybe iodine(I take iodine very intermittently to really say if it helps or not).

1. I had "thrush" too, but my dentist said there were no infections. A liquid diet like this simply causes the tongue hairs to overgrow.

2. Brush your tongue with active charcoal. This will immediately degrade the hair, restore the pink and take away any food colors. Don't overdo.

3. If you really have candida (solid white patches) 100mg of salycilic acid in alcohol will cure it, anywhere on the body, in a couple days. Don't overdo especially in the mouth.

tomisonbottom

Such_Saturation said:
1. I had "thrush" too, but my dentist said there were no infections. A liquid diet like this simply causes the tongue hairs to overgrow.

2. Brush your tongue with active charcoal. This will immediately degrade the hair, restore the pink and take away any food colors. Don't overdo.

3. If you really have candida (solid white patches) 100mg of salycilic acid in alcohol will cure it, anywhere on the body, in a couple days. Don't overdo especially in the mouth.

When you are talking about candida, do you only mean oral? Or does the salycilic acid work for the whole body?

tomisonbottom said:
Such_Saturation said:

When you are talking about candida, do you only mean oral? Or does the salycilic acid work for the whole body?

I mean in the mouth or on the skin, I wouldn't know how to get in to internal tissues though. Active charcoal is also great for the tongue.

Stilgar

I had terrible oral thrush on thyroid, tried flowers of sulphur, b vitamins, vitamin a, coconut oil, regular carrots etc. It became thick, sore, angry and horrible. I had UTIs at the same time. All the metabolic stimulants made it worse.
So...Iron deficiency was the cause for me. Not sure if that helps you personally, but it is worth getting tested for.

tomisonbottom

I had terrible oral thrush on thyroid, tried flowers of sulphur, b vitamins, vitamin a, coconut oil, regular carrots etc. It became thick, sore, angry and horrible. I had UTIs at the same time. All the metabolic stimulants made it worse.
So...Iron deficiency was the cause for me. Not sure if that helps you personally, but it is worth getting tested for.

Do you know what your iron saturation was? They way the reference range is 15-50 and mine was 13. Wondering how high it needs to be.

PeatThemAll

You need to keep on experimenting to find a new, better balance.

For example this summer, after having tried food that I knew would be trouble (restaurant junk food) for a couple of days, I had to go back to a super easily digestible foods diet (vegan-ish, ultra low fat, minimal protein). I was eating stuff like oatmeal, raisins, and bananas for 1-2 weeks. To my surprise, that high starch diet resulted in lesser thrush. Even with coffee and sugar ad libitum (two big no-nos in most Candida busting circles).

So in the end, it's a mix of what you eat, and how much you gut/microbiome allows you to. Candida reappears with a vengeance when I go too far beyond what the boys down there (microbiome) are accustomed to.