Oral spore-based probiotic supplementation was associated with 42% reduction of post-meal dietary endotoxin

AIM​

To determine if 30-d of oral spore-based probiotic supplementation could reduce dietary endotoxemia.

METHODS​

Apparently healthy men and women (n = 75) were screened for post-prandial dietary endotoxemia. Subjects whose serum endotoxin concentration increased by at least 5-fold from pre-meal levels at 5-h post-prandial were considered “responders” and were randomized to receive either placebo (rice flour) or a commercial spore-based probiotic supplement [Bacillus indicus (HU36), Bacillus subtilis (HU58), Bacillus coagulans, and Bacillus licheniformis, and Bacillus clausii] for 30-d. The dietary endotoxemia test was repeated at the conclusion of the supplementation period. Dietary endotoxin (LAL) and triglycerides (enzymatic) were measured using an automated chemistry analyzer. Serum disease risk biomarkers were measured using bead-based multiplex assays (Luminex and Milliplex) as secondary, exploratory measures.

RESULTS​

Data were statistically analyzed using repeated measures ANOVA and a P < 0.05. We found that spore-based probiotic supplementation was associated with a 42% reduction in endotoxin (12.9 ± 3.5 vs 6.1 ± 2.6, P = 0.011) and 24% reduction in triglyceride (212 ± 28 vs 138 ± 12, P = 0.004) in the post-prandial period Placebo subjects presented with a 36% increase in endotoxin (10.3 ± 3.4 vs 15.4 ± 4.1, P = 0.011) and 5% decrease in triglycerides (191 ± 24 vs 186 ± 28, P = 0.004) over the same post-prandial period. We also found that spore-based probiotic supplementation was associated with significant post-prandial reductions in IL-12p70 (24.3 ± 2.2 vs 21.5 ± 1.7, P = 0.017) and IL-1β (1.9 ± 0.2 vs 1.6 ± 0.1, P = 0.020). Compared to placebo post supplementation, probiotic subject had less ghrelin (6.8 ± 0.4 vs 8.3 ± 1.1, P = 0.017) compared to placebo subjects.

CONCLUSION​

The key findings of the present study is that oral spore-based probiotic supplementation reduced symptoms indicative of “leaky gut syndrome”.
Keywords: Metabolic endotoxemia, Chronic disease, Leaky gut syndrome, Probiotics, Multiplex, Cardiovascular disease, Inflammatory cytokines, High-fat meal challenge

Core tip: Dietary or metabolic endotoxemia is a condition that affects approximately 1/3 of individuals living in Western society. It is characterized by increased serum endotoxin concentration during the first five hours of the post-prandial period following consumption of a meal with a high-fat, high-calorie content. The key findings of the present study, were that 30-d of oral spore-based probiotic supplementation reduced the incidence of dietary endotoxemia, which may be indicative of reduced gut permeability.

1629239468704.png

Results showed statistical significance in the spore-based probiotic group with a 42% reduction in post-prandial endotoxin, a 24% reduction in triglyceride, as well as significant reductions in post-prandial pro-inflammatory cytokines, IL-12p70 and IL-1. The results of the study suggest that oral spore-based probiotic supplementation may be a wonderful adjunct to a healthy diet and lifestyle for reducing symptoms indicative of “leaky gut syndrome”.

Beneficial spore-forming Bacillus strains are able to produce various antimicrobial and antifungal lipopeptides that help balance the internal bacterial environment within the host. Spore-based probiotics microbial balancers help to reduce or prevent overgrowth of pathogenic bacteria within the small intestines (SIBO), such as Candida albicans. Unlike lactic acid bacteria, spore-based probiotics are much more competitive against other strains, keeping invaders at bay and giving the host greater opportunity to return to homeostasis more quickly. After doing a complete secretome analysis, Cornell University determined that B. subtilis and B. clausii spores have intrinsic antibiotic-resistant genes and no toxin-producing genes, and can inhibit the cytotoxic effect of C. diff and B. cereus toxins.

A cell culture study showed that B. subtilis “can effectively maintain a favorable balance of microflora in the GI tract” as it produces a protective extracellular matrix...that could potentially protect an entire community of probiotic cells against unfavorable environmental conditions.” Data from the same study found that B. subtilis cells “possess robust anti-biofilm activity against Staphylococcus aureus through activating the antimicrobial lipopeptide production pathway.” In vitro data showed that B. subtilis to inhibit the growth of Candida albicans and E. coli.

Furthermore, supplementation with this species presented an increase in beneficial Bifidobacteria within the intestinal microbiome, which is shown to result in improved intestinal barrier function, lower inflammation, and lower LPS levels. This may help achieve favorable clinical outcomes for symptoms associated with irritable bowel syndrome and inflammatory bowel diseases that are caused by dysbiosis.

Last edited:

Don

Thanks for this, I just started taking these with my meals after listening to Matt Blackburn as he recommends this to anyone who feels sleepy after eating.

Makrosky

Thanks for this, I just started taking these with my meals after listening to Matt Blackburn as he recommends this to anyone who feels sleepy after eating.
Care to point to the product page?

miquelangeles

Looks like the study used Megaspore. Just Thrive is the retail version which doesn’t contain B. licheniformis. I would assume both are similarly effective.
B. licheniformis and B. subtilis are the two bacteria in the Ukrainian probiotic called Biosporin, which Ray Peat recommended at some point for people who are afraid to experiment with antibiotics.

OP
RenaissanceMan
There are alternatives to Megaspore which are effective as well

I'm using one right now from Designs For Health

Last edited:

JacobG

The study was in hyper-responders to LPS. Not sure if the results translate at all to the general public.

OP
RenaissanceMan
Most of the general public is unhealthy and suffer from gut issues due to a high omega-6 diet, so I believe it would translate quite well. Also the responders were still referred to as "apparently healthy" in the study.

JacobG

"Identification of “responders” Experimental meal challenge: Subjects reported to the laboratory between 0600 and 1000 following an overnight fast (> 8-h) and abstention from exercise (> 24-h). Following collection of a pre-meal blood sample, subjects were provided a high-fat meal (85% of the daily fat RDA and 65% of the daily calorie needs based on RMR). Thin crust cheese pizza from a local vendor was used as the high-fat meal source (Table 2). Blood samples were measured for endotoxin concentration after the meal and only those subjects whose endotoxin level increased by > 5-fold at 5-h post-prandial were classified as “responders” and enrolled in the supplementation phase of the study. This same experimental meal challenge was completed at the end of the supplementation period to assess the effectiveness of spore-based probiotic supplementation at modifying the serum endotoxin response."

This is selection bias.

Risingfire

I've tried this before. Made the situation worse. I gained weight that took a few weeks to come off and I couldn't sleep for a week. I had bad adrenaline symptoms.

S.Holmes

I was given a lot of antibiotics from birth. I don't know if they were helpful or not, but my temperature has always been in the dumpster. I've been taking spore based probiotics and other supplements for a few years. I've also been restricting pufas for about 12 years. My temperature is better now than it has ever been.

I seem to do better on the histamine free/degrading probiotics (also spore based).

This study is interesting.

Peachy

I was given a lot of antibiotics from birth. I don't know if they were helpful or not, but my temperature has always been in the dumpster. I've been taking spore based probiotics and other supplements for a few years. I've also been restricting pufas for about 12 years. My temperature is better now than it has ever been.

I seem to do better on the histamine free/degrading probiotics (also spore based).

This study is interesting.

It’s nice to hear that you’ve made big improvements. My first was slammed with antibiotics at birth and it’s been a bear to recover. He seems to be doing pretty well now. Puberty was somewhat of a reset. And applying the metabolic approach has helped a lot.

Perry Staltic

Coagulens, which is in Megaspore, is IMO probably one of the best. @Mauritio made this thread about it.

S.Holmes

It’s nice to hear that you’ve made big improvements. My first was slammed with antibiotics at birth and it’s been a bear to recover. He seems to be doing pretty well now. Puberty was somewhat of a reset. And applying the metabolic approach has helped a lot.
Do you also use probiotics?

S.Holmes

Coagulens, which is in Megaspore, is IMO probably one of the best. @Mauritio made this thread about it.

Thank you! Will check it out!