Dismiss Notice
  7. Cascara Sagrada Powder From Farmalabor In Italy
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. **NEW Mini Body Light** MBL1 - Orange & Red Light Therapy Mini Body Light
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Oral Magnesium Effective For Hypertension

Discussion in 'Scientific Studies' started by haidut, Feb 18, 2015.

1. haidut

haidut Member

Human study, using oral magnesium oxide (1g daily) for 4 weeks. The 1g magnesium oxide provides 600mg elemental magnesium, so the dose is not that high. With a more bioavailable form like magnesium bicarbonate or glycinate a person will probably get the same effects from 300mg-400mg elemental magnesium.

http://hyper.ahajournals.org/content/13/3/227.long

"...Therefore, we concluded that appropriate oral magnesium intake might be effective as a nonpharmacological treatment for essential hypertension."

2. Vinero

Vinero Member

This is suprising. Are you saying that the widely accepted opinion that magnesium oxide is useless is not correct? Everywhere I look it says that the oxide form is not absorbed and is just a laxative. Is this just made up to sell higher priced versions like glycinate and taurinate?

3. Such_Saturation

Such_Saturation Member

A case of hypomagnesaemia due to malabsorption, unresponsive to oral administration of magnesium glycerophosphate, but responsive to oral magnesium oxide supplementation -- ROSS et al. 48 (6): 857 -- Gut

4. Koveras

Koveras Member

5. Giraffe

Giraffe Member

The bar chart Koversas posted is based on the study below.

John Libbey Eurotext - Magnesium Research - Study of magnesium bioavailability from ten organic and inorganic Mg salts in Mg-depleted rats using a stable isotope approach

The study came to the conclusion that the ten different magnesium salts "were equally efficient in restoring blood Mg levels in plasma and red blood cells in rats. Because of the importance of the passive process, the quantity of Mg in the digestive tract is the major factor controlling the amount of Mg absorbed. However, the organic forms of Mg, in particular Mg gluconate, seem more absorbable than inorganic salts as assessed by intestinal absorption and urinary excretion."

My interpretation of the data in the study is that inorganic magnesium salts seem better for the bones, magnesium carbonate being the winner.

One thought on magnesium glycinate... It is touted to have a very high bioavailability, however I could not find studies that confirm this. In a case study (link below) the authors write "The use of magnesium glycinate for supplementation was specifically chosen for our patient because it is absorbed faster, thus resulting in a steeper increase in plasma magnesium levels than magnesium oxide. The bioavailability of magnesium glycinate, however, is no different than that of magnesium oxide [11]."

Comments:
    [1] I had very good results with low doses of magnesium glycinate (... until it started too insult my taste buds).
    [2] I have seen a couple of testimonials in internet forums, where people said that after a lot of experimentation they found that magnesium oxide works best for them.

The case study is an interesting read, especially the references.

6. Peater Piper

Peater Piper Member

7. sugarbabe

sugarbabe Member

There is definitely mag oxide in mag glycinate powders, it irritated my intestines badly.

8. Giraffe

Giraffe Member