Optimal Way To Dose Higher Amounts Of Supplemental Thyroid?

cyclops

There are some popular quotes by Ray that say that (paraphrasing):

-taking more the 4mcgs of T3 in unphysiological but around 10mcgs with food is ok because digestion will slow it down.
-A good way to start is small with 1/8 Cynoplus at night, nibble t3 during day.
-most people will need around 2 grains, some 3 or more rarely 4.

So what would be the optimal way for someone consuming around 3 grains to actually split it up? Say you are taking around 15 drops of Tyromix a day, for a total of 90mcgs t4 and 45 T3. I think that would be comparable to about 3 grains? (Not sure because I think its more T3 then 3 grains, but less T4 then 3 grains so it maybe averages to 3 grains - maybe a bit more because the T3 is more powerful)

Anyway how would you split that up? You obviously dont want to take it all in one shot at night, like how he recommends with the starting cynoplus dose because 45mcgs of T3 at once is probably way too much even with food, so would it be a good idea to split it up into 3 or 4 doses with your daily meals throughout the day? So, say you eat 3 meals in one day, that would be 15mcgs T3/45mcgs T4 with each breakfast, lunch and dinner? Does something like that sound like a smart way to do it?

Last edited:

linx

Forum Supporter
My personal, counterintuitive, experience is that it's important to take t3 in fewer, larger, doses the more you need. 3x or 4x per day being ideal. I take around 100 mcg of t3 per day - a full replacement dose. It is noticeably more effective in reducing symptoms when I take it in 4 doses (3 during the day, 1 at night if/when I wake up) as opposed to trying to take smaller amounts at a time in 5 or 6 doses. I don't know why this is, but I no longer question it.

This perspective is described in more detail in Paul Robinson's book Recovering with T3: https://smile.amazon.com/Recovering-T3-Journey-Hypothyroidism-Thyroid/dp/0957099347/.

jdherk

When I take Cytomel my pulse and temperature drops and it makes me sleepy :( What can cause this?

Andman

My personal, counterintuitive, experience is that it's important to take t3 in fewer, larger, doses the more you need. 3x or 4x per day being ideal. I take around 100 mcg of t3 per day - a full replacement dose. It is noticeably more effective in reducing symptoms when I take it in 4 doses (3 during the day, 1 at night if/when I wake up) as opposed to trying to take smaller amounts at a time in 5 or 6 doses. I don't know why this is, but I no longer question it.

This perspective is described in more detail in Paul Robinson's book Recovering with T3: https://smile.amazon.com/Recovering-T3-Journey-Hypothyroidism-Thyroid/dp/0957099347/.

same here, although i tend to take the largest dose directly after waking up in the morning, shortly before breakfast

golder

same here, although i tend to take the largest dose directly after waking up in the morning, shortly before breakfast

Thanks for this! Is that just T3 you take before breakfast? At what point in the day (if at all) do you take a T3 and T4 combo?

Andman

Thanks for this! Is that just T3 you take before breakfast? At what point in the day (if at all) do you take a T3 and T4 combo?

yup t3 only, was playing around with t4 before sleep for a while but never seen any benefits

golder

yup t3 only, was playing around with t4 before sleep for a while but never seen any benefits

Thanks. I’m going to give this a go. It’s quite inconvenient having to take T3 before meals three or four times a day. How long (I know it’s different for everyone) before the thyroid starts actually producing more of its own?

invictus

My psychiatrist prescribed T3. Been on 25 mcg, daily. Two days ago increased it to 50 mcg, taken at night. Two nights of restful sleep, which I haven't had in years. I can only hope that this continues.

golder

50mcg at once? Isn’t that quite a lot? I heard ray recommends around 3-5mcg in order to not shut down the endogenous production?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals