Optimal Dose Of Progesterone In Postmenopausal

ruuzica

Hi to everyone. I bought progesterone Dr. Ray but did not get directions for use. I am 56 years old and in postmenopause myself. I also have hypothyroidism taking natural hormones 3 grain. I have an artroze of hips and of course stress hormones. I'm taking 3 drops of progesterone right now, should I take more? Thank you

M

marikay

Hi.

I take two or three drops of ProgestE twice a day (12 hours apart) for two weeks and then take a week or two off. It works great for me (age 57). Hope this helps.

L

lollipop

I take around 3-6 drops rubbed on my gums 14 days on and then take 14 days off following the cycle. I am not post menopausal but perimenopausal. Hope this helps.

Truly I think experimentation is needed to find your sweet spot.

OP
R

ruuzica

Thank you for your response, still need a break? I assumed that progesterone should be taken without breaks every day.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I'm a couple years into menopause and just started cycling progesterone last month. It's too soon to tell if I'll stick with it but I'm going to give it 3 months before I make a decision. I didn't use any progesterone at all for a year and I think for me in hindsight that was a mistake but I had a lot going on in my personal life. My progesterone levels came back really low on 3 drops per day continuous so I decided to use 3 drops daily for 14 days and I'm attempting to mimic as close to a natural cycle by increasing it the other 14 days with one peak day at 100mg. It's pure experimentation at this point but that's what I'm doing.

I'm a couple years into menopause and just started cycling progesterone last month. It's too soon to tell if I'll stick with it but I'm going to give it 3 months before I make a decision. I didn't use any progesterone at all for a year and I think for me in hindsight that was a mistake but I had a lot going on in my personal life. My progesterone levels came back really low on 3 drops per day continuous so I decided to use 3 drops daily for 14 days and I'm attempting to mimic as close to a natural cycle by increasing it the other 14 days with one peak day at 100mg. It's pure experimentation at this point but that's what I'm doing.
Are you still using the progesterone? If yes, what dosing schedule did you settle on? Thanks!

Kray

10 mg before bed for 2 weeks out of the month.
Hi Blossom- this has been awhile ago, but I'll ask. Do you still cycle progesterone? I'm in my mid 60s, have used it often enough, long enough over the years. Not sure if I should cycle it back in along with pregnenolone, alone, etc. Do you have any info on this? Maybe I'm not using the right word search but I'm not finding much on the forum. Thanks!

sunny

Hi Blossom- this has been awhile ago, but I'll ask. Do you still cycle progesterone? I'm in my mid 60s, have used it often enough, long enough over the years. Not sure if I should cycle it back in along with pregnenolone, alone, etc. Do you have any info on this? Maybe I'm not using the right word search but I'm not finding much on the forum. Thanks!
No matter what cycle of life, you need a break from the progesterone according to Dr Peat. If cycling, following your natural cycle. If post menopausal, at least a one week break each month. The purpose is to reset the liver enzymes that have acclimated to the progesterone and will start to just excrete it.

Every tissue in the body is capable of producing estrogen, in men and women. But progesterone production will cease when you are no longer ovulating and producing a corpus leuteum. It is then the uninterrupted estrogen that causes women's risks of chronic disease to become the same as men's after menopause - we no longer have the protection of progesterone. So in menopause, progesterone is necessary, with at least a one week break each month.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I agree with sunny about the breaks being crucial and necessary. I have gradually lowered my use of progesterone over the last few years. In the last year specifically it simply stopped feeling helpful so I rarely use it. I’m not sure why tbh. 1mg intermittently is about my limit these days and I don’t even use that often. I wish I could offer more. I remember feeling somewhat frustrated during the thick of things on the lack of actionable and practical information for menopause. I’ll also admit to feeling a little let down over it all to be honest and decided I had no choice but to pay attention to my body and experiment. I also shifted to not really putting much weight into mens opinions on female hormones. Sorry but as much as I respect men I came to the conclusion that the female lived experience in this area holds more importance for me than science. It could just be that my health and body composition is good enough and my estrogen low enough that I don’t really need it anymore.

Peatress

@Blossom Have you read Katharine Dalton – I have a feeling you have. Remember she said progesterone is not well tolerated when restricting carbs. It's plausible that fasting is not compatible with progesterone use.

Last edited:

Kray

@Blossom Have you read Katharine Dalton – I have a feeling you have. Remember she said progesterone is not well tolerated when restricting carbs. It's plausible that fasting is not compatible with progesterone use.
Thank you all for your feedback--- Blossom, sunny, Peatress. All good info to digest, and much appreciated!

Blossom, your point is very well taken on women's needs. No two women are the same, and we are constantly changing. There is no one-size approach to hormone balance, and in the end, the woman knows what works best. A very reputable endocrinologist I used to see used a "symptom chart" to give his patients because he knew they were the best judge of what they needed and when. He even poo-pooed the automatic blood hormone test (unless you wanted to spend the money) because the symptom chart was more reliable!

Thanks all!

Peatress

@Kray do you know a doctor called Jennifer Daniels? She doesn't use hormones and she is very healthy at 66. Like you said everyone is different.

Kray

@Kray do you know a doctor called Jennifer Daniels? She doesn't use hormones and she is very healthy at 66. Like you said everyone is different.
Just found her via RPF yesterday, and listened to her "So You Have Cancer...Or Do You" video. Very entertaining, but eye-opening. Thanks for sharing that point! I'll have to look at her archived content to see if she has anything on hormones, unless you might know? Thanks Peatress!

Peatress

Just found her via RPF yesterday, and listened to her "So You Have Cancer...Or Do You" video. Very entertaining, but eye-opening. Thanks for sharing that point! I'll have to look at her archived content to see if she has anything on hormones, unless you might know? Thanks Peatress!
I haven't known her to focus on hormones. I know her through the interviews she did with Patrick Timpone. Her focus is diet and gut health. She does differ from Peat in many ways not least because she doesn't believe a TSH below 10 should be treated. I get the impression she is a bit hypo but she certainly has a lot of energy for life.

This is her website

Kray

I haven't known her to focus on hormones. I know her through the interviews she did with Patrick Timpone. Her focus is diet and gut health. She does differ from Peat in many ways not least because she doesn't believe a TSH below 10 should be treated. I get the impression she is a bit hypo but she certainly has a lot of energy for life.

This is her website

Thank you. Have you used her supplements? I see one of her popular ones contains Cascara. Interesting viewpoint on thyroid. It would be interesting to find out why.

I also found this from a quick search. View: https://archive.org/details/IsItMenopauseOrIsItMemorex

Peatress

Kray

Wow thank you for the interview link. NO I have not used her supplement - I think they contain ingredients that are not peaty like senna.
Haven't finished listening. Would welcome your thoughts if you listen. I thought the same about senna- I think it can be more habit-forming, or harsher, than CS. Maybe in balance w/other ingredients it's ok?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals