Opiate Pain Meds After Traumatic Injury

CoolTweetPete

Hey everyone,

I got in a car accident a week ago and had some bone fractures. I spent a week in the hospital and got home today. During my stay the main pain medicine I was given was Norco (acetaminophen + hydrocodone).

I continue to have some pain and the Norco is very effective at keeping it down so I can move around and use the damaged leg, which they encouraged me to do as much as possible.

I know opiates are not optimal from the variety of studies many of you have posted here. But I asked the surgeon if I could switch to something like aspirin and maybe ibuprofen for the pain. He flat out said no because they would affect the inflammation in a disadvantageous way, which would not promote effective healing of this injury.

I'm having trouble finding information on this idea, and was wondering if anyone has healed a bad bone break and used any analgesics other than opiates in the process.

Thank you all in advance. :hattip

I would think this is claptrap.

I would try NSAIDs and cyproheptadine. They are very powerful together

Tarmander

Hey everyone,

I got in a car accident a week ago and had some bone fractures. I spent a week in the hospital and got home today. During my stay the main pain medicine I was given was Norco (acetaminophen + hydrocodone).

I continue to have some pain and the Norco is very effective at keeping it down so I can move around and use the damaged leg, which they encouraged me to do as much as possible.

I know opiates are not optimal from the variety of studies many of you have posted here. But I asked the surgeon if I could switch to something like aspirin and maybe ibuprofen for the pain. He flat out said no because they would affect the inflammation in a disadvantageous way, which would not promote effective healing of this injury.

I'm having trouble finding information on this idea, and was wondering if anyone has healed a bad bone break and used any analgesics other than opiates in the process.

Thank you all in advance. :hattip

Ahh sorry to hear that man. That is rough. Make sure you take it easy. You may not feel super stressed, but the body may be on edge for awhile. I am sure you are taking it slow.

The tylenol is probably the worst thing about that opiate. Opiates suck but only long term. Maybe you could ask for an opiate that is not mixed with tylenol? I know there are a couple. I always say I am allergic to tylenol when they ask.

OP
CoolTweetPete

CoolTweetPete

I would think this is claptrap.

I would try NSAIDs and cyproheptadine. They are very powerful together

Nice, I have some cypro on hand. I will give this combo a try for efficacy.

OP
CoolTweetPete

CoolTweetPete

Ahh sorry to hear that man. That is rough. Make sure you take it easy. You may not feel super stressed, but the body may be on edge for awhile. I am sure you are taking it slow.

The tylenol is probably the worst thing about that opiate. Opiates suck but only long term. Maybe you could ask for an opiate that is not mixed with tylenol? I know there are a couple. I always say I am allergic to tylenol when they ask.

Oh wow. I was unaware the Tylenol could be the problem component in Norco. I will definitely ask if I can take something without Tylenol and see what he says..

Thanks guys.

Rafe

@CoolTweetPete
Sorry to hear about your busted leg.

@Tarmander's advice. I'd also tell the pharmacist I'm allergic to tylenol (or that I'm a recovered alcoholic & my liver just can't stand the pain; like ecstatichamster suggested, i'd just give claptrap to claptrap). Pharmacist might be able to prevail on doc.

Healing bone I'd stock some k2 & get a very good friend to set up a co2 canister for the duration. That is, if I had any friends who didn't think I was, you know, bat**** crazy. But I know I'm not, so it's good. (Bone is the greatest co2 reservoir in the body.)

I'd keep serotonin as low as I could reasonably do b/c it makes bone building easier. See anything by RP on osteoporosis.

Parsifal

I think haidut said you should take things like lidocaine instead of opiates for pain?