Onions To Keep Things Moving

somuch4food

When I tried the carrot salad this summer, it didn't do much and mushrooms seem to be too powerful at times resulting in diarrhea.

I've noticed a few times now that cooked onions seem to help move my bowels in a gentle manner. Raw just irritate my gut.

Do some of you have some experience with this? What would be Peat's take on onions?

OP
S

somuch4food

Interesting, I will keep that in mind.

I'm more tired today after having onions yesterday, but I can think of many other things that would explain it.

miki14

I don't like veggies, only mushrooms and onions, well cooked & fried in butter. Once or twice a week 250g. But no magical effects.

tara

When I tried the carrot salad this summer, it didn't do much and mushrooms seem to be too powerful at times resulting in diarrhea.

I've noticed a few times now that cooked onions seem to help move my bowels in a gentle manner. Raw just irritate my gut.

Do some of you have some experience with this? What would be Peat's take on onions?
I eat some sauteed onions as part of a meal most days. I think I feel better for eating them, and miss them if I go without for too long. Maybe they help keep things moving, but I haven't specially isolated that effect.

Amazoniac

I eat some sauteed onions as part of a meal most days. I think I feel better for eating them, and miss them if I go without for too long. Maybe they help keep things moving, but I haven't specially isolated that effect.
"I'm no expert". Since when? And "don't take anything I say as medical advice." I won't, I take it as truth.

Cooking lowers some of their antimicrobial potential, but this seems to be how people prefer the Allium friends when guided by intuition. Doneness must be a balancing act of making what's desirable in them more accessible while degrading to some extent what's not. I know it sounds obvious, but left and right we find gurus attempting to use them as antibiotics neglecting this.

OP
S

somuch4food

How did your experiment with ones go ?

Life got the better of me. Too much stuff going on recently and I have stopped personal diet experimentations atm since I can't keep track with everything else that is going on.

I did try the raw carrot again since I kind of craved it, but got night sweats from those.

Thanks for reviving the thread and reminding me of onions. I will add more back in my diet in the next few weeks when I finally settle back.

tara

Cooking lowers some of their antimicrobial potential, but this seems to be how people prefer the Allium friends when guided by intuition. Doneness must be a balancing act of making what's desirable in them more accessible while degrading to some extent what's not. I know it sounds obvious, but left and right we find gurus attempting to use them as antibiotics neglecting this.
Yes, I can enjoy raw onions (chives, garlic :)) finely sliced in a salad or something when fighting colds etc.
Sauteed soft, onions, leeks etc add sweetness to a dish, without frightening people off so much.