Onions Increase The Amount Of Iron Absorbed From Grains

postman

Interesting, thanks for posting. I guess it's a bad idea to eat onion with meat then.

postman

I wonder if it's just concerning non-heme iron or both non-heme and heme

Dave Clark

This may not all be so negative. With such a fear that phytic acid blocks mineral absorption, apparently there are confounding factors that may negate this. As they mentioned, along with increasing zinc and iron, it may also improve absorption of other trace minerals that are very beneficial.

Astolfo

I am happy reading this.

No wonder why I respond so well to two onions a day. I originally started to help with Testosterone.
How you eat that much : ) Do you think the loss of iron is the problem in your case?

I'm seeing positive changes from onions and garlic. I think, as I already heard it from other forums as well, sulfur has something to do with pssd. And garlic/onion clears my vision. They helps with libido as well.

Lokzo

How you eat that much : ) Do you think the loss of iron is the problem in your case?

I'm seeing positive changes from onions and garlic. I think, as I already heard it from other forums as well, sulfur has something to do with pssd. And garlic/onion clears my vision. They helps with libido as well.

Yeah, i just fry them with coconut oil.

Taste is amazing.

Yeah you are right, sulfur definitely plays a role somehow.

Low iron feels TERRIBLE. As soon as I supplement with iron (Despite eating high iron foods), I feel significantly better overall.

Birdie

If I recall correctly, Ray isn't enthusiastic about onions. I still use them, but always think of his attitude. I think this makes me use a few less than I would otherwise.

Here is one article by Ray Peat:

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
B The Cider Vinegar Onions & Garlic HairLoss Guy Hair & Nails 1
S Onions To Keep Things Moving Carrot Salad, Bamboo Shoots, Mushrooms 8
Repas du soir Do Onions And Garlic Need To Be Cooked Well? Is It Harmful To Eat Them Raw? Vegetables, Grains, Legumes, Fiber 1
B Man Reduces 17-Beta Oestradiol Eating Raw Onions Thyroid and Hormones 8
vulture Onions And Testosterone? Vegetables, Grains, Legumes, Fiber 13
beachbum Onions And Acne Health 3
ecstatichamster what about endotoxins from garlic, onions, shallots, leeks etc.? Diet 8
M Can't Find Much Discussion On Onions Or Garlic Spices 25
C What mechanism of Phenibut would cause an increase in urine concentration? Health 2
Mauritio Psychedelic effect of psilocybin/ LSD mediated through 5ht2a + psychedelics increase neuroplasticity! Scientific Studies 1
M Does a lot of copper increase the need of vitamin C? Ask For Help or Advice 10
Mauritio Dutasteride / Finasteride cause fibrosis of the penis and prostate; decrease androgen receptors, increase estrogen receptors Scientific Studies 9
R Impossíble gain weight, and to increase temperature Metabolism 24
haidut Fasting ineffective for shrinking belly fat, may actually increase it Scientific Studies 4
M Crazy question, but does putting the finger in the throat to induce gagging , not vommitting, increase stomach acid? Ask For Help or Advice 1
M Does taurine increase stomach acid or not? Ask For Help or Advice 3
Mauritio Sterile gut leads to lower anxiety, serotonin , and TPH-levels + some bacteria don't increase serotonin Articles & Scientific Studies 4
Drareg Civil Unrest predicted to increase all over the World Political Talk, Alternative World Theories 17
haidut Glucocorticoids may increase inflammation in the long run Scientific Studies 3
Philomath Need help debunking or confirming- Study claims reduction in cognitive performance due to wearing masks, and their increase in CO2. Scientific Studies 27
S Cyproheptadine increase height ? Scientific Studies 6
A Consuming Milk Increase Your Risk for Prostate Cancer? Milk 35
F How to increase blood clotting or estradiol (prothrombin factors)? Ask For Help or Advice 9
burtlancast Covid deaths increase by 525% following 20 days of vaccination in Gibraltar Ray Peat Topics 2
M Does magnesium glycinate increase dht? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 8
thingsvarious Adrenal fatigue: Best methods to increase cortisol naturally Cortisol, Serotonin, Histamine 20
N The "safest" drug to increase serotonin Mental Issues 19
S Increase natural phenylethylamine production? Mental Issues 2
N How do I increase my stress tolerance? Health 0
Frankdee20 Does dietary cholesterol intake increase it ? Cholesterol 8
ddjd ways to increase CYP11A activity other than K2MK4? Cholesterol→Pregnenolone Ask For Help or Advice 11
Lokzo Daily Intake Of Alfalfa Sprouts, But Not Broccoli Sprouts, Increase DHT Levels Scientific Studies 25
E SFAs Increase Postprandial Endotoxemia? Scientific Studies 2
Lokzo Eat Red Meat Without TMAO Increase? Metabolism 3
Lokzo Bromantane: Permanently Increase Motivation? (Nootropic, Effects, Benefits & Uses) Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 0
BearWithMe Anything That Increase Thyroid Cause Rapid Tooth Decay Ask For Help or Advice 69
B Can Riboflavin Increase Cholesterol? Experiences With Riboflavin Please? Cholesterol 3
B Covid-19: What Caused Positive Tests To Increase So Much Recently? Viruses, Parasites, Fungus, Vaccines 74
GorillaHead What Would Cause Too Much Of An Increase In Intercellular Retinol? Skin 0
Highserotonin90 Melatonin Increase PDH Complex Supplements 38
S Does Vitamin C Increase Progesterone? Vitamins 12
Drareg COIVD19 Ventilators Cause Death Rate To Increase Significantly Articles & Scientific Studies 0
L Most Effective Way To Increase Glucose Oxidation Metabolism 10
orewashin Does Aspirin Increase Appetite? Aspirin 24
L How Do Cyproheptadine And Mirtazapine Induce Sleep And Increase Appetite? Cortisol, Serotonin, Histamine 7
C How Often And By What Amount Did You Increase Your NDT Dose By? Ask For Help or Advice 1
A What Does Coffe Increase Or Decrease In The Body? Ask For Help or Advice 10
Lokzo Oxytocin A Single Dose Leads To A Permanent Increase? (Positive Feedback) Scientific Studies 12
Hgreen56 Hot Foods Or Drinks Makes Me Tired, Hot Temperature Increase Serotonin? Diet 1
Vileplume Why Does Starch Increase My Resting Heart Rate So Much? Metabolism 18