One Reason Why Ray Peat Recommends Low(er) Fat Diet

stargazer1111

Yeah Jamiet has biased views regarding starch. I just thought his article on bacteria and metabolic flexibility was a real home run. If it weren't for that, I may would have never broke free of the anti-sugar cult and all those keto frauds pushing sugar as the cause of bacterial overgrowth. Despite his pro-starch bias, he's still anti-PUFA and anti-low carb. He's got some less than ideal views about fermented foods, but other then that he okay. Lets put it this way, if somone has been doing ketogenic dieting for several years and they're sick, the PHD protocol would be a substantial improvement.

I thought Kummerow was focused on trans fats, not PUFA per se? But I don't really know that much about him. I vaguely remember reading a Mark Sisson article several, several years ago about him. But regardless, he probably deserves a tip of the hat as well. Kummerow, Yudkin, Price, etc. anyone who refuted the lipid theory of disease deserves special recognition in my book. Especially considering the fact they knew it wasn't going to do their careers any favors. They rather be true to the science, rather then becoming sell outs. No one deserves more credit in my opinion then scientists actually being scientists, rather then being industry backed puppets.

I think Selye's research into physiological stress was really important regarding heart disease too. Adrenaline plays a very centric role in the formation of the artery degradation.

Yeah, I think Kummerow initially went after trans fats specifically but later realized the negative effects of peroxidized PUFAs.

Dr. B

I feel best on 10% - 15% of calories, and this is what the long term studies on rodent longevity seem to favor as well. More than that is tastier but can give me weight gain. Less than that gives me the same fat-starved feeling that a high dose biotin or niacinamide can give.
is biotin an anti lipolysis agent?

rayfan1

The fact that all fat will have some PUFA is probably a factor as well, but I think there is more to low-far than just PUFA. I think the main reason Ray does not favor high fat is that metabolically speaking fat will generate less CO2 than carbs, so it's not as pro-metabolic as sugar. Also, Ray wrote that fat-free diet virtually guarantees lack of cancer, but that may be b/c without ingesting any fat one would not be ingesting any PUFA. Saturated fat has benefits like absorption of certain vitamins (K, A, D, E), healing the liver (search his articles for "saturated fat" and "liver"), in the case of coconut oil also raising thyroid hormone (T4) production and conversion into T3. But in some of his articles and emails he says that in general he suggests low fat (especially milk). So, that's my take on it - metabolically speaking fat is not as crucial as protein and sugar. If it's PUFA, it's obviously bad due to its hormone-like negative effects (i.e. mimics estrogen). And if it's saturated, then it has some benefits but if a person decides to go fat free in terms of diet, the body will probably synthesize whatever fat it needs from sugar. I think in general people associated fat with synthesis of hormones, but it is the cholesterol we need for that and one can get cholesterol even on a very low-fat diet.
I am sure it's more complicated than that, but those points above are all extracted from Ray's articles.

As far as eating fat before bed, I think Ray would favor casein over fat. Casein is very slow-digesting protein (slower than fat actually), and has many anti-stress properties, including forming a gel-like substances during digestion very much like gelatin, which protects the gut from inflammation. Given that darkness is stress, loading up on protein (casein/gelatin) and sugar is probably the best defense while we are asleep.
Just my 2c.
Makes sense as in Ayurveda warm milk with pure cane sugar before bed is recommended for a great sleep.