Ondansetron

kettlebell

Hi All,

I received ondansetron which blocks serotonin from the 5-ht3 receptor in the brain.

A common side effect is a headache - One which, unfortunately has hit me hard. A I have just started it I am doing 1mg morning and 1 mg evening. In a week I will go to 2mg morning and evening. The headache is constant and after googling it, very common. This drug is so safe that many pregnant women take it for morning sickness. It is also given to children to stop vomiting according to what I have read.

Looking at how it functions, it suggests to me that I do have a big serotonin issue.

I have seen that it has no interaction with aspirin so will be using this to dissipate the pain.

Has anyone else using this experienced the headaches? If so do they disappear over time?

I haven't yet noticed any benefits from taking it as the headaches have been unpleasant. I am hoping this will change soon.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Sorry about your headache kettlebell. :(

I dont know much about this Ondansetron, but I will be definitely watching your experience with it.

bradley

I also suffered from headaches while on it. It triggered a really bad migraine. I was taking about 4mg a day.

OP
K

kettlebell

Thanks Charlie and thanks for your input bradley.

I am seriously considering stopping it as my whole day has been wasted. I have been completely out of action. I have never had a migraine before (I don't think) but this headache was bad (Gone now) and was making me feel sick (Something the drug itself is mean't to stop) so I couldn't eat much which exasperated the hypothyroidism.

I have experienced one of the benefits - Significantly sharper eyesight. I have very good eyesight already but wow, even with the headache/migraine(?) my sight has been crystal clear and very sharp all day. Very interesting.

I may have to stick to scrambled potato protein until I can work out how to resolve this issue.

Catch 22!

narouz

kettlebell said:
Thanks Charlie and thanks for your input bradley.

I am seriously considering stopping it as my whole day has been wasted. I have been completely out of action. I have never had a migraine before (I don't think) but this headache was bad (Gone now) and was making me feel sick (Something the drug itself is mean't to stop) so I couldn't eat much which exasperated the hypothyroidism.

I have experienced one of the benefits - Significantly sharper eyesight. I have very good eyesight already but wow, even with the headache/migraine(?) my sight has been crystal clear and very sharp all day. Very interesting.

I may have to stick to scrambled potato protein until I can work out how to resolve this issue.

Catch 22!

Scrambled Potato Protein

How do you make yours, kettle?

kiran

kettlebell said:

I'm having the same experience of improved eyesight. I wonder if just that fact is enough to cause headaches, you're suddenly getting a larger flow of information than you're used to. Also, I know that reducing serotonin can exacerbate a protein deficiency, recently I've been more sensitive to getting inadequate protein. Is it possible you're running short of something else, like say sugar vitamins minerals etc?

OP
K

kettlebell

kiran said:
kettlebell said:

I'm having the same experience of improved eyesight. I wonder if just that fact is enough to cause headaches, you're suddenly getting a larger flow of information than you're used to. Also, I know that reducing serotonin can exacerbate a protein deficiency, recently I've been more sensitive to getting inadequate protein. Is it possible you're running short of something else, like say sugar vitamins minerals etc?

Thanks Kiran,

Yes I have upped my sugar today and have had no headache symptoms. Will keep an eye on it! Protein is fine I think. Im getting well over 100gm as I weight train regularly.

How do you make yours, kettle?

I have only done it once so far but use a masticating juicer and let any remaining starch settle to the bottom of a bowl and then ladle the protein off from the top and scramble in a bit of butter with added salt. Was only a small amount and tasted ok.

Does that sound right to you? What approach have you found that works best?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Just took my first dose today. Kettlebell, are you still taking it?

OP
K

kettlebell

Hi Charlie,

I have stopped now but only because I couldn't afford to buy some cascara to combat the "Bunged up" symptoms I had from it. Apparently you don't get that if you use cascara etc. Downing some epsom salts worked too but as yet I haven't restarted.

Let us know how it goes. It certainly works for sure.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Yeh I had remember you said that after I posted. Just what I need, more bunged up. :lol:

Don't feel anything different yet, but only have taken one dose so far.

Birdie

I'm so interested. Keep us posted Charlie. And Kettlebell if you start back.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Birdie, I decided to stop mine. Being so stopped up right now I dont need anymore of that. So decided to hold off for a while.

Birdie

I should have guessed. Nothing worse.

OP
K

kettlebell

Its a catch 22. Serotonin is used for muscle contraction in the intestine in normal healthy people and using this drug reduces serotonin so intestinal transit slows down.

kiran

I'm taking 4-6mg/day, and my GI transit time seems to be unaffected, still ~24 hours.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Kiran, what benefits are you seeing from taking it? Besides the IBS relief.

kiran

Charlie said:
Kiran, what benefits are you seeing from taking it? Besides the IBS relief.

Actually it doesn't help my IBS much, I think specific things trigger the IBS, possibly too much fat, I have to figure it out.

It really makes me feel better, friendlier, less literal interpretation of things, etc. It makes me flirt more too. :D

I stopped the acetazolamide, but this one might be a keeper.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Very cool. Hopefully one day I will get to start it back up. Really need to get my constipation took care of first though, I think.

Birdie

Mine arrived today. I'll start with 1mg toward evening. Just had the carrot salad 30 minutes ago, so waiting the hour at least. Maybe I'll do a little general reading about whether to take it with food or if that matters. I have the dosing info with starting 1 mg/ 2 times a day. Then, I assume working slowly up to 4 mg / 2 times a day.
Since I've been awakening with headaches anyway this past week, I hope it doesn't make that worse. But, I'll try to remember extra sugar and protein as advised here.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Birdie keep us posted!