Ondansetron and Receptor Antagonist

Registration

Hello,
I am new here.

Someone here was recommended Ondansetron for serotonin removal. But, I see that Ondansetron is a 5-HT3 receptor antagonist.

So wouldn't that drug increase serotonin? The serotonin cannot be used up at the receptor?

Please do correct me. I have a hard time understanding how all these stuff works.

Thanks!

jaguar43

Registration said:
Hello,
I am new here.

Someone here was recommended Ondansetron for serotonin removal. But, I see that Ondansetron is a 5-HT3 receptor antagonist.

So wouldn't that drug increase serotonin? The serotonin cannot be used up at the receptor?

Please do correct me. I have a hard time understanding how all these stuff works.

Thanks!

It still removes serotonin but it's just at a different receptor.

I have tried a variety of anti-seronotin drugs, I have never tried Ondansetron because of the price and that it only targets the 5-HT3 receptor.

Ray Peat sent me an email that cyproheptadine is a general serotonin antagonist. Any may be better for overall serotonin. I have Never tried it.

The Dopamine Agonist Bromocriptine and Lisuride are prolactin inhibitors and useful for high prolactin and estrogen. Bromociptine can cause heart valve fibrosis. Lisuride is safer. I have used both though it really depends on quality. A good bromocriptine can work well but be expensive. Lisuride is pretty good though to much can cause nausea.

I have used tianeptine and it works well and is safe. But again its about quality.

Gabriel

What positive effects did you notice on these drugs jag and do you still take them?

Mittir

You might find this quote from RP useful

http://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=1035&start=30#p11587

Cyproheptadine might be helpful for reducing sensitivity to intestinal irritants.

<on anti-serotonin drugs> I have known a few people who had very good results with tianeptine, and a couple who got side effects from it. I think any of the antiserotonin drugs will eventually cause side effects, and should only be used until a problem is corrected, for example when an enlarged pituitary is normalized. I think the same effects can be produced with nutrition and hormones, without the possible problems.

<can anti-serotonin drugs permanently fix a problem, even if taken only for a short while?> Yes, but it's important to keep adjusting thyroid and progesterone according to temperature, pulse, etc.

Thyroid is the best thing for controlling serotonin's effects. The drugs that act on "receptors" act simultaneously on many things; one effect of some of them is a selective "agonist" effect on the "receptor" which is involved in negative feedback, turning off the cells that produce serotonin. Wikipedia is a function of consensus; according to them, serotonin is a happy hormone, and there are no conspiracies of government officials and bankers

jaguar43

Gabriel said:
What positive effects did you notice on these drugs jag and do you still take them?

I take them once in a while. Lisuride is my favorite. Though the bromocriptine and tianeptine I bought were made in India. They work well.

With the Lisuride, the prolactin symptoms went away(emotional, depression, sore nipples, ). Headaches went away.

Tianeptine, overall mood increase, mellow, able to read more than usually.

The bromocriptine I bought was horrible. It was weak.

HDD

jag2594 said:
Gabriel said:

I take them once in a while. Lisuride is my favorite. Though the bromocriptine and tianeptine I bought were made in India. They work well.

With the Lisuride, the prolactin symptoms went away(emotional, depression, sore nipples, ). Headaches went away.

jag, did you use these before taking t4/t3? How long did you take them?

tropicaldaze

Never had my serotonin level measured and I'd be wary of using any prescription drug without a doctor supervising. I am, however, hypothyroid(diagnosed in 1994)and for some reason, meds seemed to have stopped working a few years ago. Winters are hell; cold, depressed and no matter what season, libido has gone south. Now on desiccated@1/4 grain twice a day. What's the dose to shoot for to reduce serotonin? Thanks.

jaguar43

Haagendazendiane said:
jag2594 said:
Gabriel said:

jag, did you use these before taking t4/t3? How long did you take them?

I took it while taking cynomel and cynoplus. At the beginning I took 2.5 mg of bromocriptine. I didn't feel anything. after taking it again after six months on cynomel, cynoplus, it was too much. I threw up. I didn't take it consistently because of heart valve problems and nausea. Tianeptine over time decreases its potency. A few days with bromocriptine and lisuride should work.

jaguar43

tropicaldaze said:
Never had my serotonin level measured and I'd be wary of using any prescription drug without a doctor supervising. I am, however, hypothyroid(diagnosed in 1994)and for some reason, meds seemed to have stopped working a few years ago. Winters are hell; cold, depressed and no matter what season, libido has gone south. Now on desiccated@1/4 grain twice a day. What's the dose to shoot for to reduce serotonin? Thanks.

I would disagree. Most doctors don't understand the long term effects of most medications. Plus they only prescribe expensive medications.

jyb

tropicaldaze said:
Never had my serotonin level measured and I'd be wary of using any prescription drug without a doctor supervising.

Based on personal experience, I'd be wary of using most common prescription drugs with a medical doctor supervising.