Once Again Mitochondrial Dysfunction At The Center Of AGING. Glycine Supplementation Huge

Goobz

Did you mean to say TAURINE?

Well if you google the enzyme they’re talking about, which they say slows down with aging, apparently it converts both serine to glycine and THF to MTHF (active folate). Less taurine in the liver was noted too, yes, but this process is about more than just taurine.

My first thought as a respond was to supplement excess substrates for the enzyme, rather than the products. Which would be serine and I guess natural sources of folate. And p5p, as the enzyme is p5p dependent.

Maybe the products too, but I always think it’s better to “allow the body to do it” where possible. I have no idea if this is the right approach here, but serine, glycine and taurine all have health benefits of their own when supplemented. So maybe a combination might be best.

Personally I’m finding serine to give me some positive effects that I don’t seem to get from glycine alone.

Kray

Well if you google the enzyme they’re talking about, which they say slows down with aging, apparently it converts both serine to glycine and THF to MTHF (active folate). Less taurine in the liver was noted too, yes, but this process is about more than just taurine.

My first thought as a respond was to supplement excess substrates for the enzyme, rather than the products. Which would be serine and I guess natural sources of folate. And p5p, as the enzyme is p5p dependent.

Maybe the products too, but I always think it’s better to “allow the body to do it” where possible. I have no idea if this is the right approach here, but serine, glycine and taurine all have health benefits of their own when supplemented. So maybe a combination might be best.

Personally I’m finding serine to give me some positive effects that I don’t seem to get from glycine alone.

Thanks for your reply.

You mention importance of food sources, and I agree. But sounds like you are supplementing serine? Anyway, an article I found with high-serine food sources Is L-serine the Brain Health Breakthrough We’ve Been Looking for?

Seems like many of the foods highest in serine are eaten by many here.

Last edited:

Goobz

Thanks for your reply.

You mention importance of food sources, and I agree. But sounds like you are supplementing serine? Anyway, an article I found with high-serine food sources Is L-serine the Brain Health Breakthrough We’ve Been Looking for?

Seems like many of the foods highest in serine are eaten by many here.

Thanks for the link, good to know some food sources.

Yep I take some as a supplement, but thats more for a specific medical purpose I believe it may help with. And as a personal experiment. I haven't fully made up my mind on how it affects me yet.

When I say "its best to get from food sources when possible" that applies to people who are basically healthy and want to remain so. I think it's safer to eat well than take supplements. But if someone is unwell or wants to use a supplement for a specific purpose, maybe it's a different story there.

Kray

Thanks for the link, good to know some food sources.

Yep I take some as a supplement, but thats more for a specific medical purpose I believe it may help with. And as a personal experiment. I haven't fully made up my mind on how it affects me yet.

When I say "its best to get from food sources when possible" that applies to people who are basically healthy and want to remain so. I think it's safer to eat well than take supplements. But if someone is unwell or wants to use a supplement for a specific purpose, maybe it's a different story there.

Understood. Most helpful is to know what and how, to be informed and educated.

Thanks!