On Social Feedback

DaveFoster

I spend a small bit of my daily life speaking to this man, a man about my age, who works at the front desk of where I currently live. We talk about all sorts of topics; often those concerning psychology, biology, and chemistry, and recently I brought up the effects of caffeine; beneficial effects mind, and asserted that I would try to experiment with varying dosages of the compound.

I later received an e-mail that led to a meeting with the advisor of my living quarters who received "concerns" about me and my lifestyle. I then proceeded to a mental health evaluation check-up; I'd rather not refuse, as it may lead to some problems down the road. After speaking to the doctor, I argued my case; that, firstly caffeine is not scheduled in any sense, and secondly, that I would like to speak to a counselor, as I have had some personal issues concerning my parents that I never quite dealt with due to numerous changes in my living situation.

He, the doctor, advised that I reduced my caffeine consumption; I expected this. Additionally, I am somewhat thankful and elated for the opportunity to talk to someone about my situation. Nevertheless, I am reminded of the power of social conservatism on a personal level. Namely, the degree of open-mindedness is shockingly absent from humanity; particularly Western, American society. While I concede the intent of the individual whom I spoke to was no doubt to help me, in essence this betrayal of trust in favor of security for the group dearly hurt my loyalty toward this person. I will not make this same mistake again.

To find a man who values what you value; who respects your autonomy and who honors your trust. This is both the most beautiful and most difficult thing in the world. To find one who is honest, loyal, open, willing to learn and grow, while still maintaining his own predispositions and discriminations and presenting these to the world without fear of retaliation; this is a true friend, and a man to be honored.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZAqDgdeJy4
Watch from 18:00 -23:05

Fetch

What the hell? you have to follow rules around caffeine where you live? is this a collage thing or something?

Fetch said:
post 113763 What the hell? you have to follow rules around caffeine where you live? is this a collage thing or something?

That's what I was thinking...

I know all too well what you mean DaveFoster. At the end of the day, people will believe what they will and there's nothing you can really do. I had very bad effects to the drug finasteride. You have no idea how many stupid looks I got from doctors when I told them about it. Actually, I can tell you, it was at least 20+ of them telling me.. finateride doesn't cause loss of libido.. it doesn't cause this and that and whatever and whatever.

Keep in mind.. these are the people.. that PRESCRIBED IT TO ME. And they have no idea how it works. That should give you some idea of how "knowledgeable" they are on it.

At the end of the day, I'm with you, and I mostly just keep my opinions to myself. I used to tell people that this is healthy and this isn't and whatever whatever, but now, I just avoid the conversation completely. I am mostly concerned with my own health now and don't really go out of the way to talk about these things. As you say.. they aren't really open minded and it's "weird" some of this stuff. Honestly it is a little weird. Taking a ton of caffeine in. It sounds weird as hell. Even my roommate, one time I heard him talking to his friend outside my window saying, Oh yeah.. All he does is drink orange juice and milk. It's like oh my god.. what is the world coming to? Caffieine, and orange juice, and milk. Oh god. Lol.

I have to lol at stuff like this. I have been through too much screwed up health in the past to care. But that is so funny you had a mental evaluation. My doctor actually said my diet was good whne I told him what I ate.. but I wasn't doing a lot of caffeine.. maybe he would have a different opinion then....

Last edited by a moderator:

tara

There's lots of ignorance and closed-mindedness around - no doubt we all have some in some areas.

But I don't think it is necessarily closed-minded to express concern when people talk about doing stuff that is potentially dangerous. You have been talking about levels of caffeine consumption that could probably be quite dangerous to some people, even if you have been OK so far. People have died who might still be alive if someone had drawn to their attention that excess caffeine can kill. Or other drugs. In general, I want people to look out for each other's safety, even if we don't always judge the risks perfectly/the same.

T

tobieagle

This thread is gold! :D :D

DaveFoster said:
post 113760 To find a man who values what you value; who respects your autonomy and who honors your trust. This is both the most beautiful and most difficult thing in the world. To find one who is honest, loyal, open, willing to learn and grow, while still maintaining his own predispositions and discriminations and presenting these to the world without fear of retaliation; this is a true friend, and a man to be honored.

Could not agree more. It is a sad society we currently live in.
Isolation sucks, socializing in this society sucks too.
It's a ******* lose-lose situation.

But I guess one has not to be discouraged by unfortunate events like you described.

mayweatherking said:
post 113766 Even my roommate, one time I heard him talking to his friend outside my window saying, Oh yeah.. All he does is drink orange juice and milk. It's like oh my god.. what is the world coming to? Caffieine, and orange juice, and milk. Oh god. Lol.

hilarious :D

We are pretty weird indeed.
But it is all a matter of perspective.
From our point of view it is perfectly reasonable.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

mayweatherking said:
Caffieine, and orange juice, and milk. Oh god.

I have to lol at stuff like this. I have been through too much screwed up health in the past to care. But that is so funny you had a mental evaluation. My doctor actually said my diet was good whne I told him what I ate.. but I wasn't doing a lot of caffeine.. maybe he would have a different opinion then....
Definitely get the OJ and milk criticism; particularly the milk. People like to say that I should drink at least a gallon of water with my 1-2 gallons of milk; because milk DEHYDRATES you apparently.

I think it stems from this societal construct that being happy all the time is unsustainable despite the fact that Christianity, the dominant religion in America, preaches to be like little children, who are always happy or at least openly expressive.

tara said:
post 113836In general, I want people to look out for each other's safety, even if we don't always judge the risks perfectly/the same.
The ultimatum here was that I comply or I do not get housing over the Winter Break. It wasn't a, "Do you need a hand?" It was a, "Take my hand or else."

tara

DaveFoster said:
post 113954 Definitely get the OJ and milk criticism; particularly the milk. People like to say that I should drink at least a gallon of water with my 1-2 gallons of milk; because milk DEHYDRATES you apparently.
:roll:
Having seen the effects of hyponatremia, I consider this dangerous and irresponsible advice to be giving as a general thing.

DaveFoster said:
post 113954
The ultimatum here was that I comply or I do not get housing over the Winter Break. It wasn't a, "Do you need a hand?" It was a, "Take my hand or else."
Ah, that's a different thing.

goodandevil

That's scary ***t! Who do they th8nk they are?! Soon all of us will be given kool aid parentally. **** those ***holes. Ooh that pisses me off.

goodandevil

I wouldnt tell those ***holes anything except to **** off, they cant make you take antidepressants or whatever .. yet

goodandevil

Y the way, you're right. You can never fit into our shitty society and be sane .. remember only dead fish swim with the current. Anyone here, im sure, would be more than happy to listen to anything you might have on your chest. Again, good for you. Pm me if you want, ill listen.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals