On fasting and PUFA release...

Birdie

“When we don’t eat for many hours, our glycogen stores decrease, and adrenaline secretion is increased, liberating more glucose as long as glycogen is available, but also liberating fatty acids from the fatty tissues. When the diet has chronically contained more polyunsaturated fats than can be oxidized immediately or detoxified by the liver, the fat stores will contain a disproportionate amount of them, since fat cells preferentially oxidize saturated fats for their own energy, and the greater water solubility of the PUFA causes them to be preferentially released into the bloodstream during stress."
on low blood sugar and stress reaction
functionalps.com

gretchen

I'm glad I stopped restricting. I loved fasting; I did a lot of it last year. However, I've never been so tired or non functioning in my life.

OP
B

Birdie

The only time I tried it was for 2 months in the fall of 2011. It was Paul Jaminet's writings that influenced me. I had never tried IF or any fasting before that. I was fasting from 6 or 7 pm until 10 or 11am. I think. It's a blur.

I gained about 10 pounds and began to feel awful. But the idea of fasting and forgetting food appeals to me. :) Don't worry, never again.

jyb

I'm a male of 26, a few years ago I tried fasting to see the effect on my acne. I wanted to test whether it was related to something I was eating. I concluded it was related, because after 12-24h of fasting my skin looked good. It was interesting that despite being obviously not functional while fasting, the skin improved. But it didn't last when I stopped fasting.

At that point I realized doctors didn't knew anything about acne, because the ones I talked to assured me it was totally unrelated to the diet. Or if it was, it was due to saturated fats.

Primal2Peat

JYB,

I've had a similar experience.

I have Keratosis Pilaris over most of my body. I never go into a full fast, but whenever I am in a fat burning mode or calorie deficit, My skin clears up.

Or, when I was younger and had major sicknesses where I wouldn't eat, my skin would clear up then. (So I guess I have fasted unintentionally.)

When I'm adding to my stored fat, it's like my body is trying to detox something through my pores, maybe PUFA.

I don't know. My skin has gotten better, but I've only been on the Ray Peat route for a few months now.

My body fat is at about 12%. I'm hoping that after 3 or 4 years my skin will be clear from replacing PUFA with more saturated fat.

We shall see.

Andrew Kim

Losing excess body fat and eradicating starches I think, in principle, should improve acne. But I've heard a lot about improvements in acne by fasting, too (and for that matter, other skin conditions).

John Eels

Maybe acne isn't related to the foods we eat but to the status of the digestive system. If the digestion is running smoothly pizza and pasta won't cause skin outbreaks or other unwanted responses like brain fog. The weaker your health status the more likely are adverse reactions to contaminants.