OMG, Cooked Fruit

I could never before get enough ripe fruit, and this way I'm eating a lot more fruit and sugar.

Until someone suggested cooking fruit. So now I make fruit compote from peaches, mangos, tangerines, and other stone fruits. I also use blueberries as I don't think they have a PUFA seed in them.

Now, every few days, I cook a bunch of frozen fruit in a roasting pan, with lots of sugar. I refrigerate it and eat it with yogurt or by itself.

Thank you for the amazing tip.

Peater Piper

I've had good luck with cooked fruit over the last few weeks as well. Breaks down some of the fiber, plus allows me to eat more of it. I don't add additional sugar either (if I did, I'd probably go with honey or maple syrup), but it seems to sweeten up the fruit, anyway. Probably losing some of the water soluble vitamins due to the heat, plus storage, but it's better than not getting the calories in or relying on sugar which offers no micronutrients. Sometimes I'll eat it cold or reheat it until warm in the microwave.

OP
ecstatichamster
I just toss frozen fruit into a roasting pan, add a cup or so of sugar, mix quickly and roast at 325F. for about 80 or 90 minutes, stirring maybe once midway through.

I just had some for lunch with Fage nonfat Greek yogurt. Delicious. And very digestible. Not as good as fresh live fruit, but mostly you can't get good fruit anyway.

BobbyDukes

Yes, you will be ingesting a crap load of minerals doing fruit this way. Better than any kale broth, IMO. But how does it affect your gut?

I haven't tried cooking fruit yet. Could do with some ideas, tbh. Laziness has stopped me exploring this. And maybe fear of how it will affect my sensitive gut.

T

tobieagle

Do you digest these fruits better when cooked, compared to raw?

I wonder wether the cooking process breaks down pectin and other irritating substances.

SarahBeara

I can attest that it makes fruit far more digestible. I can eat 4 or 5 apples worth of apple sauce without issue, where as 2 apples or sometimes 1 can give me a tummy ache.

That's why apple sauce is the A in the BRAT diet for irritated digestion.

superhuman

This is cool, i have wanted to try this myself but never made it work. Frozen fruit is very cheap as well so thats great.
What about fresh fruit that is just unripe, like pears, apples etc how do you approach that?

Peater Piper

I do apples, yeah. I thinly slice them and throw them in a pot with some water, cover them, stirring periodically at a simmer or light boil. After about 10 minutes they're soft but still formed, with just a bit of juice on the bottom. You could cook them until they're mush if you want, less fiber that way but greater vitamin loss. I'll also throw in some berries, oranges, bananas, whatever fruit is on hand (obviously choose fruits that agree with you). You can add a lot of salt this way without really tasting it, if you prefer high sodium. You could add oil or butter too, although it will solidify if refrigerated, so maybe not a great idea if you plan on eating it cooled. I also like to add a bit of cinnamon and vanilla, but they're irritating for some people. All in all it's really easy and worth experimenting with, imo. You could always just do a small batch the first time to see how your gut handles it.

tara

This week we've cooked a couple of pots of stewed peaches and couple of dishes with roasted pears and peaches. The latter by halving the pears and peaches, placing them cut side up in dish, sprinkling with sugar and ceylon cinnamon, roasting till soft - first time I've done pears this way - moreish. :) Also a big crumble on request from child.

Sometimes I stew frozen berries with sugar and puree to make sauce - popular by itself or with icecream. Peat's not keen on the seeds or skins. I can't usually be bothered with straining, though you could if you wanted to.

Also goes well with rice pudding, for the starchivores.

Parsifal

I could never before get enough ripe fruit, and this way I'm eating a lot more fruit and sugar.

Until someone suggested cooking fruit. So now I make fruit compote from peaches, mangos, tangerines, and other stone fruits. I also use blueberries as I don't think they have a PUFA seed in them.

Now, every few days, I cook a bunch of frozen fruit in a roasting pan, with lots of sugar. I refrigerate it and eat it with yogurt or by itself.

Thank you for the amazing tip.

Which stone fruits are you eating?

postman

Anyone tried this with grapes? They are usually very unripe in the store

scarlettsmum

I do plums these days since they are in season. Will experiment with tangerines, bought some really unripe ones. It's an easy way to eat large amounts of fruit. I do apples quite often as well and sometimes just make it into purée. Since it allows you to eat so much, it's a lot of work continually making large batches of cooked fruit, but worth it. I usually find it really satisfying before bedtime with some milk/yoghurt.

scarlettsmum

I don't really time it. These days I cook it on the hob, chuck it all in a pot with little water, lots of sugar and cinnamon and check on it couple of times, then reduce the temperature and forget about it for about 1/2h or so. If I have lots of fruit I put it in the oven, but for some reason I prefer the taste of cooked rather than baked fruit.

Jennifer

I used to cook my fruit into compotes during the winter months. When fruit is in season and on sale, I buy it in bulk and freeze it to have for the winter, and I also buy frozen fruit from the store. My compotes consisted of frozen fruit reduced down in a pot with some vanilla beans or extract, some coconut fat (or butter if you're not vegan), spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger etc., dark maple syrup and some salt to taste. I used to top them off with whipped coconut cream I made by shaking some coconut cream in a small mason jar, but you can of course use whipped dairy cream. It's like having pie without the crust. So good!

Some of my favorites were mangos with ginger and cream, peaches with cinnamon and cream and strawberries and cream. I also made a tasty cherry compote using some frozen cherries I got from Trader Joe's. I'm not sure if they still carry them since this was last winter, but they do have semi-dried frozen figs that are like jam, straight out of the package. I bet they would be killer simmered with some vanilla, cinnamon and fat. That and persimmons. Oh, heck! The list could go on and on. I love fruit! Haha!