Omega 3 Replaces Omega 6 And Lowers Prostaglandin Synthesis

Beefcake

Differential effects of prostaglandin derived from omega-6 and omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids on COX-2 expression and IL-6 secretion. - PubMed - NCBI

”Omega-6 (omega-6) polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA), abundant in the Western diet, are precursors for a number of key mediators of inflammation including the 2-series of prostaglandins (PG). PGE(2), a cyclooxygenase (COX) metabolite of arachidonic acid, a omega-6 PUFA, is a potent mediator of inflammation and cell proliferation. Dietary supplements rich in omega-3 PUFA reduce the concentrations of 2-series PG and increase the synthesis of 3-series PG (e.g., PGE(3)), which are believed to be less inflammatory.”

” PGE(3), unlike PGE(2), is not mitogenic to NIH 3T3 fibroblasts. PGE(2) and PGE(3) both induce COX-2 mRNA via similar signaling mechanisms; however, compared with PGE(2), PGE(3) is significantly less efficient in inducing COX-2 gene expression. Furthermore, although both PGE(2) and PGE(3) induce IL-6 synthesis in RAW 264.7 macrophages, PGE(3) is substantially less efficient compared with PGE(2). We further show that increasing the omega-3 content of membrane phospholipid results in a decrease in mitogen-induced PGE(2) synthesis. Taken together, our data suggest that successful replacement of omega-6 PUFA with omega-3 PUFA in cell membranes can result in a decreased cellular response to mitogenic and inflammatory stimuli.”

Mitogenesis is a protein that forces cells to begin cell division and has a role in cancer development.
So according to the study above getting omega 3 would be protective of cancer.

lampofred

Peat says it is anti-inflammatory in the short-run but only because it is suppressing the immune system, not because it is actually healing the body and reducing the need for inflammation.

Maybe that short term anti-inflammatory effect is enough to delay cancer development.

OP
Beefcake

Beefcake

Peat says it is anti-inflammatory in the short-run but only because it is suppressing the immune system, not because it is actually healing the body and reducing the need for inflammation.

Maybe that short term anti-inflammatory effect is enough to delay cancer development.
I know what peat says.
No omega 3 activates PGE2 much weaker than omega 6. Maybe not eating PUFAs in general is most beneficial but at least omega 3 is more beneficial than omega 6 since it does not activate prostaglandin synthesis nearly as much. If your cell structure is mostly made out of omega 6 then replacing it with omega 3 would be beneficial as it would reduce mitogenesis and cancer. I would still never supplement with fish oil. If I would consume it would be from as fresh fish as possible. And obviously I don’t see why you would need it in any high amounts since our body composition of PUFA is quite low and I don’t believe that if PUFA is essential to us that we need to supplement with it to have enough. It’s like comparing magnesium with a trace mineral. You don’t need to supplement trace minerals. You could call PUFA a trace fatty acid.
My point of posting this study is not to recommend people to take omega 3. Just that eating fish once in awhile is likely not gonna kill you. I would like to know the exact mechanism though how omega 3 does more harm in the long run. Is there any study showing this? If it does reduce prostaglandin synthesis by displacing omega 6 then it would be beneficial long term.

Cirion

All I know is when I got mis-led by Jack Kruse into trying fatty fish again I degraded into the worst health of my life, being so serotonin dominant that I slept up to 16 hrs a day in a complete hibernation.

That was more than enough to convince me that O3 is easily as bad as O6.

OP
Beefcake

Beefcake

All I know is when I got mis-led by Jack Kruse into trying fatty fish again I degraded into the worst health of my life, being so serotonin dominant that I slept up to 16 hrs a day in a complete hibernation.

That was more than enough to convince me that O3 is easily as bad as O6.

Hahaha not to be rude but seems your health is chronically degraded. (Joke)
Nah I believe you. Just fun to look at studies and evidence. It’s kinda interesting that omega 3 is inflammatory long term. I have not seen any studies or proof of this only rays word. Hope someone here can come along and prove me wrong. Just researched like 4 studies and all of them saying the same thing. Omega 3 displaces omega 6 thus lowering prostaglandin synthesis. I personally never felt worse eating fish. I do eat it every once in awhile but not to often. I think it’s enough to eat it occasionally even if it had health benefits. Maybe your deterioration of health was due to heavy metals?

OP
Beefcake

Beefcake

Fish oil supps lower testoterone , that’s what got me

Show me that study. I only find the one saying it lowered testosterone in women with PCOS. That’s completely different. On top of that I find a rodent study saying omega 3 increased testosterone in rats. Once I think I read that omega 3 increases SHBG but if your a peat follower I would assume SHBG is beneficial.

Bump cant even find that it affected SHBG.

Most people I find who refers omega 3 lowering testosterone is linking to PUFA/MUFA and SFA studies. Does not even say what omega acid they are using.

The increased testosterone in the rodent study is interesting tough.

OP
Beefcake

Beefcake

Effect of dietary fish oil on mouse testosterone level and the distribution of eicosapentaenoic acid-containing phosphatidylcholine in testicular interstitium

These data indicate that Leydig cells have an unidentified system to incorporate EPA selectively into the plasma membrane, and EPA may be crucial in testosterone metabolism.

So you have a mice study with significant increase and testosterone

On top of that you have studies showing much improved sperm production and function.
Anything that boosts sperm production would seem to be androgen boosting.

The Effect of Omega-3 Fatty Acids, EPA, and/or DHA on Male Infertility: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. - PubMed - NCBI

Only study I find saying it lowers testosterone is in women with PCOS who already have excess testosterone due to cortisol and inflammation. Its like a man having excess estrogen.

OP
Beefcake

Beefcake

I do also believe theres a big difference between eating a fresh fish and popping rancid omega 3 supplements.

OP
Beefcake

Beefcake

Effects of dietary fish oil on thyroid hormone signaling in the liver. - PubMed - NCBI

However, liver thyroid hormone receptor (TR) β1 protein expression was higher in the FO (fish oil) group and correlated negatively with serum lipids. Liver 5'-deiodinase activity, which converts thyroxine into triiodothyronine, was similar between groups. However, the activity of hepatic mitochondrial glycerophosphate dehydrogenase, the enzyme involved in thermogenesis and a well-characterized target stimulated by T3 via TRβ1, was higher in the FO group, suggesting enhancement of thyroid hormone action. These findings suggest that the increase in thyroid hormone signaling pathways in the liver may be one of the mechanisms by which n-3 PUFAs exert part of their effects on lipid metabolism.

Pointing out that omega 3 is beneficial for metabolism.

So from what I found it has pro dopaminergic effects, pro thyroid/metabolism effects/ pro testosterone effects and is antiinflammatory.

Omega 3 is very unstable in the presence of heat and oxygen -- lipid peroxidation is the result. Just use logic here.

OP
Beefcake

Beefcake

Omega 3 is very unstable in the presence of heat and oxygen -- lipid peroxidation is the result. Just use logic here.

Show me evidence. I know it makes sense. And I’m not promoting omega 3 supplements. Im saying consumption of fresh fish. I don’t believe it’s the same. Show me one single study that proves what you are saying. I can show you several studies with mutiple beneficial things liked increased dopamine, increased testosterone, increased metabolism and reduced inflammation. I don’t care if theoretically it should be unstable. If omega 3s benefits is from reducing omega 6 and prostaglandin synthesis I can totally understand why it woulf be beneficial.

OP
Beefcake

Beefcake

Im not doing this to prove a point or any bias or anything. I love peat and have respect for him and his work. Im just saying look at evidence and studies and it actually does have beneficial effects.

baccheion

Wait, DHA doesn't lower testosterone? If to be believed, then 4:1 DHA:EPA is said to be best. Would sufficient vitamin E be enough to counter stated negative effects? The RDA document indicates only 3 IU vitamin E would be required for each 1g DHA.

OP
Beefcake

Beefcake

Wait, DHA doesn't lower testosterone? If to be believed, then 4:1 DHA:EPA is said to be best. Would sufficient vitamin E be enough to counter stated negative effects? The RDA document indicates only 3 IU vitamin E would be required for each 1g DHA.

4517A345-5D7A-49AB-B139-FA47CD9B35E0.png
Fish Oil raises testicular testosterone. Show me any study saying the opposite. If fish oil truly did act as an oxidating agent that causes inflammation no way there would be research saying increased T and sperm parameters.

ShotTrue

Show me that study. I only find the one saying it lowered testosterone in women with PCOS. That’s completely different. On top of that I find a rodent study saying omega 3 increased testosterone in rats. Once I think I read that omega 3 increases SHBG but if your a peat follower I would assume SHBG is beneficial.

Bump cant even find that it affected SHBG.

Most people I find who refers omega 3 lowering testosterone is linking to PUFA/MUFA and SFA studies. Does not even say what omega acid they are using.

The increased testosterone in the rodent study is interesting tough.
Looks like it was the PCOS study. I remember taking some krill oil and having brain fog, which led me to finding that study.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals