OMEGA 3 health effects | Differences in quality of supplement | Method of delivery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doludolu

Hey there, peeps !

So, in the Bioenergetic / Ray Peat inspired dietary approach = Omega-3 fatty acid consumption is considered damaging, just like with all PUFA -- Although with Omega-3s they have a lot of health benefits according to loads of scientific studies. I've been questioning this topic and trying to find solid answers - but this area seems to be really chaotic.

I have 2 questions / points of discussion in regards to Omega-3's.

1) Quite some studies show these amazing positive effects of Omega-3's and their neccessity. I do believe there is a lot of controversial science and some of it is quite isolated, thus showing the benefits of Omega-3's for certain cells or tissues, but missing the picture of whole body-organism.
I do know that Omega-3's are highly prone to lipid peroxidation process very highly and most of the supplements in that way would be harmful. However, there's this one company Zinzino, that is the only company in the world testing people for Omega 6:3 balance from blood and then by showing how poor their ratio is they offer very high quality Omega-3 supplement , that contains: olive oil polyphenols, cacao polyphenols, vitamin E, hydroxytirozol - they do this to prevent the lipid peroxidation process, to reduce the negative aspects of Omega-3's oxidizing in the body and then being able to provide all the benefits that Omega-3 does , when it's not in peroxidized state, but the healthy state.

Do you think, such a high quality Omega-3 fish oil supplement, protected with antioxidants & polyphenols works differently in the body and is a pro-health substance ?

2) Now studies are showing the importance of a healthy Omega 6 : 3 ratio in the body & cells in order to lower inflammation, to make the membranes more fluid & permeable (for nutrient absorption & toxic waste removal), and many other benefits...
In healthy native populations the ratio used to be from 1:1 to 3:1, now in the Western world it's common to see 15:1 ; 20:1 ; 30:1 --- Omega 6:3 ratio and that is linked with many chronic inflammatory, autoimmune diseases & cellular dysfunctions.

What do you think on Omega 6:3 ratio - is it an important aspect for health ? And if it imbalanced should you consume high quality Omega-3's to reset it back? If not, how does your current view & research so far look in terms of fixing it ?

Additionaly:

dozens of other studies show other benefits of Omega-3;'s, such as improving eye & vision health, importance for nutrient & fluid & toxin transmission through the cell's membrane (if it becomes filled with too much of saturated fat - it becomes too rigid - nutrients & wastes move poorly through the membrane) ; importance for optimal brain function, helping with plaque in the arteries, reducing brain fog & ADHD, making our cells more insulin sensitive, improving mental disorders, anti-cancer effect , e.g. - colon, prostate, breast ; helping to heal from NAFLD (non-alcoholic fatty liver disease) , improving bone & joint integrity ; DHA improving sleep parameters and more ?

I hope for a great discussion !

B

Blaze

Hey there, peeps !

So, in the Bioenergetic / Ray Peat inspired dietary approach = Omega-3 fatty acid consumption is considered damaging, just like with all PUFA -- Although with Omega-3s they have a lot of health benefits according to loads of scientific studies. I've been questioning this topic and trying to find solid answers - but this area seems to be really chaotic.

I have 2 questions / points of discussion in regards to Omega-3's.

1) Quite some studies show these amazing positive effects of Omega-3's and their neccessity. I do believe there is a lot of controversial science and some of it is quite isolated, thus showing the benefits of Omega-3's for certain cells or tissues, but missing the picture of whole body-organism.
I do know that Omega-3's are highly prone to lipid peroxidation process very highly and most of the supplements in that way would be harmful. However, there's this one company Zinzino, that is the only company in the world testing people for Omega 6:3 balance from blood and then by showing how poor their ratio is they offer very high quality Omega-3 supplement , that contains: olive oil polyphenols, cacao polyphenols, vitamin E, hydroxytirozol - they do this to prevent the lipid peroxidation process, to reduce the negative aspects of Omega-3's oxidizing in the body and then being able to provide all the benefits that Omega-3 does , when it's not in peroxidized state, but the healthy state.

Do you think, such a high quality Omega-3 fish oil supplement, protected with antioxidants & polyphenols works differently in the body and is a pro-health substance ?

2) Now studies are showing the importance of a healthy Omega 6 : 3 ratio in the body & cells in order to lower inflammation, to make the membranes more fluid & permeable (for nutrient absorption & toxic waste removal), and many other benefits...
In healthy native populations the ratio used to be from 1:1 to 3:1, now in the Western world it's common to see 15:1 ; 20:1 ; 30:1 --- Omega 6:3 ratio and that is linked with many chronic inflammatory, autoimmune diseases & cellular dysfunctions.

What do you think on Omega 6:3 ratio - is it an important aspect for health ? And if it imbalanced should you consume high quality Omega-3's to reset it back? If not, how does your current view & research so far look in terms of fixing it ?

Additionaly:

dozens of other studies show other benefits of Omega-3;'s, such as improving eye & vision health, importance for nutrient & fluid & toxin transmission through the cell's membrane (if it becomes filled with too much of saturated fat - it becomes too rigid - nutrients & wastes move poorly through the membrane) ; importance for optimal brain function, helping with plaque in the arteries, reducing brain fog & ADHD, making our cells more insulin sensitive, improving mental disorders, anti-cancer effect , e.g. - colon, prostate, breast ; helping to heal from NAFLD (non-alcoholic fatty liver disease) , improving bone & joint integrity ; DHA improving sleep parameters and more ?

I hope for a great discussion !
I've always been a huge skeptic of studies as it seems the results they are looking to prove are determined in advance instead of open mindedly following science impartially.

Prostaglandin production from the Omega 3 or any other Pufa source seems to be one of Ray's big concerns. That being said, supposedly Omega-3 fatty acids have anti-inflammatory effects due to their ability to convert into the good anti-inflammatory prostaglandins.
Ray, I believe, has been expressing that the prostaglandins are all bad. I think avoiding all Pufa sources is the prudent way to go.

GorillaHead

I've always been a huge skeptic of studies as it seems the results they are looking to prove are determined in advance instead of open mindedly following science impartially.

Prostaglandin production from the Omega 3 or any other Pufa source seems to be one of Ray's big concerns. That being said, supposedly Omega-3 fatty acids have anti-inflammatory effects due to their ability to convert into the good anti-inflammatory prostaglandins.
Ray, I believe, has been expressing that the prostaglandins are all bad. I think avoiding all Pufa sources is the prudent way to go.
Prostaglandins cant be all bad. Without them we legit can have hair. Someone needs to pose this question. I would like to see how he would explain that one

Status
Not open for further replies.