Omega-3 (DHA, EPA) Degrades The Androgen Receptor

haidut

Forum Supporter
One of the reasons the medical industry continues to promotes the use of fish oils is that in animal studies it was shown to shrink the prostate. The mechanism was never fully elucidated, but I suspected it is probably not a good one. This study shows that omega-3 fatty acids are anti-androgenic and actually degrade the androgen receptor. Not a good addition to a male's diet, and likely a poison for any competitive athlete (male or female alike).

Docosahexaenoic acid inhibits the growth of hormone-dependent prostate cancer cells by promoting the degradation of the androgen receptor. - PubMed - NCBI
"...In the present study, the androgen receptor (AR), which is a transcription factor involved in cell proliferation and prostate carcinogenesis, was identified as a target of DHA. It was revealed that DHA inhibited hormone‑dependent growth of LNCaP prostate cancer cells. Reverse transcription-quantitative polymerase chain reaction analysis revealed that treatment with DHA caused no alteration in the transcribed mRNA expression levels of the AR gene. However, immunoblotting revealed that this treatment reduces the protein expression level of the AR. The androgen‑induced genes were subsequently repressed by treatment with DHA. It was demonstrated that DHA exhibits no effect on the translation process of the AR, however, it promotes the proteasome‑mediated degradation of the AR. Therefore, the present study provided a novel mechanism by which DHA exhibits an inhibitory effect on growth of prostate cancer cells."

Effect of dietary polyunsaturated fatty acids on castration-resistant Pten-null prostate cancer. - PubMed - NCBI
"...Omega-3 PUFA slowed down the growth of castration-resistant tumors as compared with omega-6 PUFA. Omega-3 PUFA decreased AR protein to a similar extent in tumor cell cytosolic and nuclear fractions but had no effect on AR messenger RNA level. Omega-3 PUFA treatment appeared to accelerate AR protein degradation, which could be blocked by proteasome inhibitor MG132. Knockdown of AR significantly slowed down prostate cancer cell proliferation in the absence of androgens. Our data suggest that omega-3 PUFA inhibits castration-resistant prostate cancer in part by accelerating proteasome-dependent degradation of the AR protein. Dietary omega-3 PUFA supplementation in conjunction with androgen ablation may significantly delay the development of castration-resistant prostate cancer in patients compared with androgen ablation alone."

http://repbiol.pan.olsztyn.pl/docs/pdfs/repbiol_vol6_supp2_num_page13.pdf
"...The metabolism and synthesis of androgens seem to be particularly affected by the Ω-3 (α-linolenic, eicosapentanoic, docosahexaenoic fatty acids) and Ω-6 (γ-linolenic, linoleic, arachidonic, docosapentaenoic fatty acids) families of PUFAs. The Ω-3 PUFAs reduce the number of androgen receptors (AR), decrease total T level in plasma [20, 22, 27] and inhibit 5α-reductase activity [15, 21] in men and rats."

"...The influence of dietary fat composition on the gene expression and enzyme activity involved in the metabolism of androgens is not sufficiently elucidated. Arachidonic acid is known to inhibit the activity of 17βHSD [16]. Therefore, it may indirectly influence the rate of cellular synthesis of testosterone. Oleic acid inhibits the activity of cholesterol esterase [18], whereas γ-linolenic acid and eicosapentanoic acid metabolites inhibit the activity of 5α-reductase [21]."

Last edited:

Tarmander

What do you think about oysters haidut. They definitely have an amount of omega 3 in them that could be called significant. Something like 500mg per six oysters. Once a week? Once a week for years and years? Could you end up doing more harm then good?

CoolTweetPete

What do you think about oysters haidut. They definitely have an amount of omega 3 in them that could be called significant. Something like 500mg per six oysters. Once a week? Once a week for years and years? Could you end up doing more harm then good?

I have wondered this as well. Considered switching to chicken liver for selenium.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

I think oysters are fine. The selenium can stop a lot of the damage that PUFA does. Also, they contain copper in bioavailable form and also zinc. Zinc can also stop a lot of PUFA negative effects.

hef911

I wish i knew this in my puberty, where i indulged in a lot of omega's, thinking it was stimulating my cognitive performance.....

TheHound

I think oysters are fine. The selenium can stop a lot of the damage that PUFA does. Also, they contain copper in bioavailable form and also zinc. Zinc can also stop a lot of PUFA negative effects.

I wish i knew this in my puberty, where i indulged in a lot of omega's, thinking it was stimulating my cognitive performance.....

yes, this. is there anyway to help reverse this damage done?

Jing

So does omega 3 degrade Ar everywhere in the body or just in the prostate?also what was the dosage?

Last edited:

Dr. B

What mechanism do selenium and zinc stop PUFA effects by?
Does vitamin C also prevent pufa negative effects since its an antioxidant

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals