Oltipraz

Discussion in 'Articles & Scientific Studies' started by lexis, Mar 4, 2014.

1. lexis

lexis Member

2. himsahimsa

himsahimsa Member

Looks like a good acute intervention but the toxicities don't look good for chronic use. What Oltipraz might be doing, is tricking the liver into thinking it has been poisoned and getting the detox enzymes flowing as the response. Maybe as an inducer at intervals of a week or so and maybe combined with a source of cysteine for raw materials it could radically boost the detox system (and slay parasites as a bonus).

This is related to the cysteine as substrate for glutathione issue. Low glutathione enzyme status is really bad. High glutathione enzyme status is really good.
    I also raised this here --> http://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3306#p38915

I have decided to handle this by taking 1.2 grams of N-Acetylcisteine morning and evening (=2.4g/D) on two consecutive days every two weeks. This will keep circulating cysteine down most of the time but still allow for repletion of glutathione reserves. Running chronically low on glutatione is just asking for trouble.
    (I use NOW brand 600mg caps, thus 1.2, 2.4, ...)

A 2.4 gram dose of N-Acetylcisteine is used clinically as an antidote to acetaminophen poisoning by providing material (cysteine) for the liver to make the glutathione enzymes, which it immediately does, so it looks like single high doses do end up as intended.

Here is another study of Oltipraz