Olives

Peata

Do you eat them?

I do, and usually have 3 - 5 per day. The green ones. I like to nibble on them with baby carrots. I wonder if this is another version of the carrot salad because the olives provide vinegar, salt, fat. I don't mix or shred, just eat a carrot, eat an olive, etc.

Besides enjoying the taste and texture, I find olives make my stomach feel good. When I was going through terrible flu-like illnesses in 2012 (due to excess estrogen/gallbladder issues...) olives were something that settled my stomach and seemed to perk me up.

I don't use olive oil since coming to RP.

I was just wondering what others think about olives on the RP forum.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I use Olive oil sparingly. When eating paleo I ate them a lot so I kind of got burned out on them. I usually just eat a couple medium to large raw carrots whole when I get home from work about 4 pm. I'm sure a few olives are fine but probably the carrot salad as Peat recommends is optimal. It seems as time goes on and health changes it is easier to fine tune your approach. I'm always too lazy to take the time to make the carrot salad after working all day and knowing soon I will need to prepare dinner etc. I'm interested in what other think of the olive and carrots combination because that sounds like something I would probably do. I have natural black olives that are just olives and salt. I might just try that tomorrow!

HDD

I remembered this about black olives from the article on iron.

Q. What foods contain iron?
Flour, pasta, etc., almost always contain iron which has been artificially added as ferrous sulfate, because of a federal law. Meats, grains, eggs, and vegetables naturally contain large amounts of iron. A few years ago, someone demonstrated that they could pick up a certain breakfast cereal with a magnet, because of the added iron. Black olives contain iron, which is used as a coloring material. You should look for "ferrous" or "ferric" or "iron" on the label, and avoid foods with any added iron. Many labels list "reduced iron," meaning that iron is added in the ferrous form, which is very reactive and easily absorbed.

I don't recall anything about the green ones.

himsahimsa

Ferrous sulfate is highly soluble in water, especially hot water, so in the case of pasta, most of it, maybe all of it, goes down the drain. And the phytates in the wheat component probably bind what little might be left.

Dutchie

Olives are high in Vit.E.
Anyway if you enjoy them,you can even make olive salt to season your food.
All you have to do is lay a couple of fresh dark Kalamata olives on a plate,put it in the microwave for 2 minutes on high,repeat the process until dry and you can crumble the olives between your fingers and store. The drying brings out the salty flavour better.