Olive Oil Is NOT Good For You

DMF

...atleast not the stuff that's available to the average olive oil consumer, reguardless of where you shop. It's one of the worst quality-controlled commodities in the world. It's not "extra-virgin". It's not "cold-processed". The labels lie. The industry lies.Type in fraudulent olive oil for a web search and you'll see. Real olive oil is cloudy all the way through. and has a fruity aroma. It's something that simply can't stay in a bottle for too long a time either.

nwo2012

Completely agree and one of the reasons I only use coconut oil for everything (all cooking, moisturizer, hair, sunscreen, massage).

Birdie

The only recommended use for olive oil is if you want it for flavoring, and then, only 1 tsp a day. I never use it anymore except I do mix it into my coconut oil for after bath body lotion. That's a good way to use up the supply in case you have a lot of olive oil in your pantry like I do.

pete

Olive oil peroxidation index is not much better than that of ground flax.

Edward

Germany carries a lot of different olive oils and usually they are marked with the amount of saturated, mono, and polyunsaturated fats. The ones with the lowest PUFA content taste the best, obviously. A lot of expensive olive oils are quite high in PUFA, but recently I found one that is 13g saturated, 72g mono, and 6.5g poly per 100ml which is extremely low, 100ml is about 7 tablespoons, so a little under a gram of PUFA per tablespoon. And it is relatively inexpensive. I think I pay about 10 euro so about 13 dollars but it might be more expensive in the states. It also happens to be the best tasting olive oil I've had. I've only had the black label bottle so not sure about the others. I think you can find this in the US or order it online through a distributor. I rarely use olive oil anymore but it's nice to have a good one when you want it.

http://www.kritsacoop.gr/en/greek-extra ... -olive-oil

4peatssake

Olive oil was the only oil that got a pass from me for years.

I used to marinate steaks in a mix of orange juice, olive oil and Braggs liquid aminos. :(

Good grief!

slayers

Olive oil is not that bad

Ray peat" Coconut and olive oil are the safe vegetable oils"

Kelly

I never liked the taste. I don't miss it one bit. I forced myself to eat it because it was a supposed healthy fat. Maybe "real" olive oil tastes better.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Kelly, thats the thing. From what I understand a lot of the olive oil being sold is not pure olive oil and is cut with other nefarious oils.

montmorency

Charlie said:
Kelly, thats the thing. From what I understand a lot of the olive oil being sold is not pure olive oil and is cut with other nefarious oils.

Yes, and sadly, the places it tends to come from are not, shall we say, known for stringently conforming to laws, regulations, standards, etc.

Having said that, if you lived in an olive-growing area, and could get it pressed locally by people you trust, it would probably be pretty good.

I didn't like the taste of it at first, but got used to it. Now I can take it or leave it.

BaconBits

Olive oil is the one of the most counterfeited products in the world. Plus most of the olive oil is coming from the corrupt places, like Southern Italy, Greece, Southern Medditerenean where very poor countries are .
Dilluting olive oil is so blatantly easy, almost everybody does. Even if you dont want to do it you have no choice beacuse you have to be "competetive", because the price is everything.

Dont forget the the olive oil business is on of the mafia most lucrative businesses. They are buying cheap olive oil from all over Mediterean and resseling them as prime italian, dilluting them before. In some places they are making olive oil from olives that have been rotting on the ground for weeks.

The dilluted olive oil scam goes on and on and on. For decades now. It think the last mafia food bussines loop was feeding pigs garbage and selling them a prime cuts for proscutti and salami.

I personally have have doubts even about the coconut oil. I doubt the all the coconut oil manufaturers take excellent care of the coconut kernels, they could rott and fermented when they are left in the sun to dry or even get rancid. I had digestive problems from 3 out of 5 coconut oils I used. I even had light problems from the KTC brand.

Mittir

BaconBits said:
I personally have have doubts even about the coconut oil. I doubt the all the coconut oil manufaturers take excellent care of the coconut kernels, they could rott and fermented when they are left in the sun to dry or even get rancid. I had digestive problems from 3 out of 5 coconut oils I used. I even had light problems from the KTC brand.

Olive oil scam is well documented. But i have not heard of any coconut oil controversy yet.
One of the way they make coconut oil is by fermenting the coconut milk. So fermentation is not an issue.
Coconut oil has 98% saturated fat. So chance of rancidity is extremely low.
Digestion problem from coconut oil is a common incidence. It is just a matter of getting used to it.
Refinement lowers the intensity of gut issue.

honeybee

Couldn't you stick it in the refrigerator and see if it hardens?

BaconBits

honeybee said:
Couldn't you stick it in the refrigerator and see if it hardens?

It would harden also if it was 70% olive and 30% sunflower. Or even 50/50.

Only way it would not harden if it was 100% soybean or sunflower with chlorophyl

Olive oil scam is well documented. But i have not heard of any coconut oil controversy yet.
One of the way they make coconut oil is by fermenting the coconut milk. So fermentation is not an issue.
Coconut oil has 98% saturated fat. So chance of rancidity is extremely low.
Digestion problem from coconut oil is a common incidence. It is just a matter of getting used to it.
Refinement lowers the intensity of gut issue

I dont mean controlled fermentation, I mean like rotting on the hot sun in the tropics. I didnt once get problems from the virgin one. I dont know, i tend to stay away from the refined coconut oil which are very brown dark in liquid state. The digetive problems with some oil just went on and on for weeks.

Mittir

@BaconBits
You can make your own coconut oil. It is quite easy. Sri Lankan and Filipino stores
should have whole coconuts, coconut flakes, coconut milk etc. Some coconut milk uses
preservatives and it is expensive. If you boil the coconut milk the fat rises to the top.

Peata

I used to consume lots and lots of evoo, especially from about 2010 on. We cooked everything in it (though I used a little butter sometimes too) and I would drizzle a lot more on foods, sop it up with bread, etc. I used it on my skin. I thought I was doing myself good. Now I don't even have it in the house.

I think it contributes to heart disease though Peat mentioned that it can contain an antioxidant that may protect the heart but that antioxidant may be destroyed from heat and you may just be able to get it from olive fiber.

Last edited: