Olive Oil Is NOT Good For You

I think oleic acid is more stable than other monounsaturated acids.

Peater

Macadamia nut oil is very pleasant and the PUFA content is as good as can be expected from a nut oil.

lampofred

Who needs oil when you have butter...

Ella

Forum Supporter
Peat mentioned that it can contain an antioxidant that may protect the heart but that antioxidant may be destroyed from heat and you may just be able to get it from olive fiber

The antioxidants Peat is referring to is probably not only Vitamin E but also the phenolic contents of EVOO. One tablespoon of olive oil contains 1.9 milligrams of vitamin E, which is 10 percent of the daily value of this nutrient based on a 2,000-calorie diet.

I have greatly reduced my olive oil consumption. Australia has invested in producing premium quality olive oil. The cheap imports continue to dominate the market as consumers tend to buy on price rather than quality.

All olive oils aren't created equal

Can you tell me about the phenols in extra virgin olive oil?

As my EVOO consumption has been drastically reduced my consumption of olives has gone up. It is difficult getting vitamin E in the diet without increasing PUFAs and fat in the diet and it seems the olive pulp imparts beneficial health effects without having to consume the oil.

Extracts from whole olives have been shown to function as anti-histamines at a cellular level. By blocking special histamine receptors (called H1 receptors), unique components in whole olive extracts help to provide us with anti-inflammatory benefits. In addition to their antihistamine properties, whole olive extracts have also been shown to lower risk of unwanted inflammation by lowering levels of leukotriene B4 (LTB4), a very common pro-inflammatory messaging molecule. Oleuropein—one of the unique phytonutrients found in olives—has been shown to decrease the activity of inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS). iNOS is an enzyme whose overactivity has been associated with unwanted inflammation. Taken as a group, these research findings point to olives as a uniquely anti-inflammatory food.
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=46

The following paper attributes osteoblast cell proliferation to phenolics interaction with estrogen receptors.

Phenolic Compounds in Extra Virgin Olive Oil Stimulate Human Osteoblastic Cell Proliferation

Last edited:

LeeLemonoil

Olive leaf tea migth be an alternative if one is interested in consuming oleuropein, tyrosol and hydroxtyrosol, all of which have studies to suggest benefits for
the thyroid and androgen-levels.

kayumochi

I've cut back on coconut oil. Liquid fats, even "healthy" ones, don't seem to be essential for health. Plenty of people, women especially, gob that schitt on everything and wonder why they can't lose weight.

EIRE24

I've cut back on coconut oil. Liquid fats, even "healthy" ones, don't seem to be essential for health. Plenty of people, women especially, gob that schitt on everything and wonder why they can't lose weight.
I agree calorie wise yes but maybe for other health markers it could help

kayumochi

I agree calorie wise yes but maybe for other health markers it could help

I cut back because excess fat intake causes mitochondrial dysfunction, insulin resistance in muscle, but not liver, and impaired metabolic flexibility. If someone is just making the transition from industrial oils then I'd recommend enjoying all the coconut oil you want but after a point, it makes sense to cut back. http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism...m/retrieve/pii/S1550413107003063?showall=true

chrismeyers

I don't eat fats or oils at all anymore either. Just cut them out, dont miss them. But on the very rare occasion that I will eat fat, I will only touch animal fats. Butter, ghee, thats it. I transitioned over time like most of us. Crappy PUFA loaded vegetable oils, to olive oil and coconut, and now to none of them.

agnar

why do you insist upon such a sensationalist title? real olive oil isn't bad for you. i get "home made" olive oil straight from greece, and the guy who makes it consumes a liter (9000 kcal) of olive oil a day and is very healthy. i know it's hard to believe, but it's true

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals