Olive Oil - Fake, Adulterated, Unregulated - So What Do We Do ?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Consumerlab.com made test of different olive oils and California Olive Ranch was looking good there (they tested "Every day" type of oil)
That's the one I keep stocked at home. It does seem high quality based on taste and smell.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

x-ray peat

thanks that was helpful.
TL/DR as of 2011 all olive oils tested including major brands like Bertollis were made from 100% oil oil as based on the fatty acid profile test.
These brands however typically fail other tests for oxidation or being blended with less than extra virgin oil oil. So if I understand this correctly we are probably not getting high PUFAs but are getting some oxidized oils.

California Olive Ranch did very well on tests

Is there any truth in this

To further help protect extra virgin olive oil from oxidation, Dr. Moerck suggests putting one drop of astaxanthin into the bottle. You can purchase astaxanthin, which is an extremely potent antioxidant, in soft gel capsules. Just prick it with a pin and squeeze the capsule into the oil. The beautiful thing about using astaxanthin instead of another antioxidant, such as vitamin E, is that it is naturally red, whereas vitamin E is colorless, so you can tell the oil still has astaxanthin in it by its color. As the olive oil starts to pale in color, you know it's time to throw it away.

Generally speaking, olive oil is best consumed within a year of harvest, although most will last for up to two years from harvest when unopened and kept in a cool dark place. Oils that have a more bitter, peppery flavor have a higher polyphenol content, and these oils will generally keep better than oils made from ripe olives, which have a softer flavor. The latter should be used within six months to a year at most.

Dave Clark

The olive oil that Life Extension sells now is very good, especially if you like the bitter, peppery type of oils, which like stated, is a good indication of polyphenol content. It is organically grown in California. I make my own rosemary and chaparral oil, which I use to protect the oils. Just a few drops of each, plus a few drops of Tocovit from IdeaLabs.

Epistrophy

If you are looking for a high quality Olive Oil check out Chaffin Family Orchards!

I did a test to see if their olive oil stands up to solidification. This would denote if there is any unwanted excess unsaturated fatty acids. Meaning they would put a "filler" oil pre se.

I will add a photo of the solidification.

Attachments

• IMG_8390.JPG
    IMG_8390.JPG
    296.2 KB · Views: 7

lvysaur

TL/DR as of 2011 all olive oils tested including major brands like Bertollis were made from 100% oil oil as based on the fatty acid profile test.

You're the only one that caught it, there is no fraud or adulteration with other oils.

The only fraud is the grade of the olive oil (like pretending that 3rd squeeze is extra virgin)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom