Olive Leaf Anyone?

success23

Hello.

I recently read that olive leaf extract is great for thyroid boosting. Also it is marketed for a fat loss supplement.

Anyone tried it? What were your results?

Xisca

@Daniel11 tried it and spoke well about it....
I have been advised to take it too after some labs....
I do not order, ....I munch direct on the trees! Maybe 1 leaf a day keeps the doctor away!

Pompadour

I bought dried olive leafs once and used it instead of tea. But didn't notice any effect. Maybe it was not strong enough made with boiled water .

Daniel11

Forum Supporter

Pompadour

Thank you , @Daniel11 ! I wonder if an olive leaf tisane is a part of benefits of Mediterranean diet . Do people in olive trees countries consume not only olive oil and olives, but also the leaves of the tree...

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
Thank you , @Daniel11 ! I wonder if an olive leaf tisane is a part of benefits of Mediterranean diet . Do people in olive trees countries consume not only olive oil and olives, but also the leaves of the tree...

Thats a good question, research is suggesting that the polyphenols in olive oil and olive leaf are what is greatly contributing to the health benefits, olive leaf has a greater amount and variety of polyphenols then olive oil. From my own experience olive leaf has some unique nutritional qualities and effects that i don't notice with olive oil.

This article has a lot of interesting research.

"Olive oil has gained support as a key effector of health benefits and there is evidence that this relates to the polyphenol content. Olive leaf extract (OLE) contains a higher quantity and variety of polyphenols than those found in EVOO."

"Phenolics are one group for which there is robust evidence supporting the health promoting effects of antioxidants. There is a general consensus that olive leaf phenolics have a strong ability to scavenge nitric oxide (NO) and quench Reactive Oxygen Species"

Evidence to Support the Anti-Cancer Effect of Olive Leaf Extract and Future Directions

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
@Daniel11 tried it and spoke well about it....
I have been advised to take it too after some labs....
I do not order, ....I munch direct on the trees! Maybe 1 leaf a day keeps the doctor away!

Hi Xisca!

Thats great your eating the leaves i would do same if i had them growing in my yard. The whole leaf is utilized well by the body, but making tea from the leaves is not an efficient way to consume, hot water does not extract the full range of the constituents. Eating the whole leaf or capsules with fresh dried powdered leaves works well, ethanol extractions are quite potent also.

Xisca

part of benefits of Mediterranean diet
For sure I want to use more olive oil, to taste as usual, and will use the STRONGest taste I can find instead of the mildest!!!
-> more polyphenols

Well, what's about boosting thyroid with this?

Pompadour

hot water does not extract the full range of the constituents.
In this article the authors found that water extraction is actually good!

Optimization of the Aqueous Extraction of Phenolic Compounds from Olive Leaves

Abstract: Olive leaves are an agricultural waste of the olive-oil industry representing up to 10% of the dry weight arriving at olive mills. Disposal of this waste adds additional expense to farmers. Olive leaves have been shown to have a high concentration of phenolic compounds. In an attempt to utilize this waste product for phenolic compounds, we optimized their extraction using water—a “green” extraction solvent that has not yet been investigated for this purpose. Experiments were carried out according to a Box Behnken design, and the best possible combination of temperature, extraction time and sample-to-solvent ratio for the extraction of phenolic compounds with a high antioxidant activity was obtained using RSM; the optimal conditions for the highest yield of phenolic compounds was 90 °C for 70 min at a sample-to-solvent ratio of 1:100 g/mL; however, at 1:60 g/mL, we retained 80% of the total phenolic compounds and maximized antioxidant capacity. Therefore the sample-to-solvent ratio of 1:60 was chosen as optimal and used for further validation. The validation test fell inside the confidence range indicated by the RSM output; hence, the statistical model was trusted. The proposed method is inexpensive, easily up-scaled to industry and shows potential as an additional source of income for olive growers.

And this method of extraction was used for example in this study :
Phytochemical Properties and Anti-Proliferative Activity of Olea europaea L. Leaf Extracts against Pancreatic Cancer Cells

So it seams that when someone has good source of olive leaves - it is actually possible to make an extractions.

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
In this article the authors found that water extraction is actually good!

Optimization of the Aqueous Extraction of Phenolic Compounds from Olive Leaves

Abstract: Olive leaves are an agricultural waste of the olive-oil industry representing up to 10% of the dry weight arriving at olive mills. Disposal of this waste adds additional expense to farmers. Olive leaves have been shown to have a high concentration of phenolic compounds. In an attempt to utilize this waste product for phenolic compounds, we optimized their extraction using water—a “green” extraction solvent that has not yet been investigated for this purpose. Experiments were carried out according to a Box Behnken design, and the best possible combination of temperature, extraction time and sample-to-solvent ratio for the extraction of phenolic compounds with a high antioxidant activity was obtained using RSM; the optimal conditions for the highest yield of phenolic compounds was 90 °C for 70 min at a sample-to-solvent ratio of 1:100 g/mL; however, at 1:60 g/mL, we retained 80% of the total phenolic compounds and maximized antioxidant capacity. Therefore the sample-to-solvent ratio of 1:60 was chosen as optimal and used for further validation. The validation test fell inside the confidence range indicated by the RSM output; hence, the statistical model was trusted. The proposed method is inexpensive, easily up-scaled to industry and shows potential as an additional source of income for olive growers.

And this method of extraction was used for example in this study :
Phytochemical Properties and Anti-Proliferative Activity of Olea europaea L. Leaf Extracts against Pancreatic Cancer Cells

So it seams that when someone has good source of olive leaves - it is actually possible to make an extractions.

Yes but its still not the most efficient way to extract and consume the olive leaf, this study is extracting the olive leafs in a very controlled setting at a exact temperature of 90 C (194 F) for 70 min, and even at that the water still did not extract near as much of the beneficial constituents as the ethanol (alcohol) extract.

"The water extract had a lower level of total flavonoids and oleuropein while the methanol extract had a lower level of total flavonoids, when compared to the ethanol extract. Flavonoids are the largest group of phenolic compounds and include both polar and non-polar moieties. The 50% ethanol extract contained more than double the total flavonoids compared to the water extract"

I'm sure just making tea with hot water would be good for you, but a alcohol and water (ethanol) extract will yield more of the phenolic compounds and most important have a higher oleuropein content. This is standard botanical knowledge that alcohol and water together make the best solvents, its easy to make your own tinctures (ethanol extract) at home from Vodka, i have done this many times, vodka is a good balance ration of water and alcohol, just fill up glass jar with the olive leafs add the vodka until it covers all the leafs, shake every day after 6-8 weeks, filter the liquid and thats it. You can do the same with many herbs and save a lot of money and its fun, is especially wonderful to do if you have the botanicals growing near you.

Here is great article on how to make tinctures

Guide to Making Tinctures

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
Hello.

I recently read that olive leaf extract is great for thyroid boosting. Also it is marketed for a fat loss supplement.

Its interesting research you brought up, i always thought of and used olive leaves as a antimicrobial, i had not taken any for a while so decided to give it a try again focusing on its other actions, i would say it definitely does have a metabolism boosting effect, along with its other qualities this makes olive leaf quite useful for ones health.

Great discovery thank you!

I also noticed some research on its antidiabetic effects

Antidiabetic effect of Olea europaea L. in normal and diabetic rats. - PubMed - NCBI

ddjd

Hello.

Are you using it now?

OP
S

success23

Are you using it now?

I used it for around a month. It made my feet warmer and it's really helpful agains the flu.

My father used it in his foot soak and got rid of his stinky feet :D

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
I used it for around a month. It made my feet warmer and it's really helpful agains the flu.

My father used it in his foot soak and got rid of his stinky feet :D
I just started using it, and it definitely makes me feel warmer. My entire metabolism has increased. Kinda need to becareful I don't run into HYPERthyroid state. So I will have small amounts of L-Carnitine on standby.

I can somewhat notice the DOPAMINE boosting effect (MAO-Bi), which is why I started using it. Feels quite mentally uplifting and stimulating to a degree.

LeeLemonoil

It’s not. Oleocanthal especially is anti-aromatase and tyrosol and oleuropein are pro-thyroid, androgenic and have been shown to have numerous other benefits

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals