Oldest Cats Aged 34 And 38 Years Ate Bacon And Coffee Each Morning. WTH?

jaybarr

I think a happy home also contributes to a longer life. Giving them natural home made food is way healthier than giving them commercial cat food. A lot of chemical pet foods have chemicals lurking in them. They mostly contain cheap grain fillers and cellulose to bulk up the food. They even contain synthetic B vitamins which can cause a subclinical B vitamin deficiency.

yerrag

A lot of what passes up for vitamins just goes thru and out. Nominal vitamins. Just meant to serve a market buying based on lowest cost without being able nor willing to question the label. And it isn't getting any easier. See what the GMO Dark Act does. Not sure if it's law yet, but if not it is almost there.

amethyst

My cat loved whipped cream. Couldn't get enough of it. Very pro saturated fat. Lived a long and happy life till she went to cat heaven.

Frankdee20

My ex wife's cat ate cream cheese, and ranch dressing, lol.

yerrag

Cats cannot make taurine. Raw meat has taurine. Cooked meat doesn't. Share some of your taurine supplements with your cat please, if yo're feeding them cooked food and not manufactured cat food.

Frankdee20

I love kitties. I'd feed him turkey and he would give me kisses with the blinking eyes.

denise

Every cat I've ever met has loved coconut oil in addition to butter, cream, bacon, parmesan cheese etc. My friend's cat's favorite foods are ham and yogurt. I've never tried offering coffee!

I feed my cats a raw diet. I'm lucky enough that there's a company not far from me that makes and delivers raw pet food. It's called My Pet Carnivore. They have a huge delivery radius and the shipping is very reasonable. I usually mix in some canned Wellness to help with palatability, but they do quite well on it.

There's at least one company (Feline Instincts) that makes a mix that you can blend in with raw meat if you want to feed raw without so much fuss.

Although I have always fed raw, avoided vaccinations, given lots of love, used a holistic vet, etc., my first two cats each died at 13, one from kidney failure and one from asthma. (I was hoping my care would let them live forever... :( ) Actually, one of them died exactly 2 years ago today, and I still grieve her.

austin06

I've had two cats make it to just on the edge of 20. I just lost one recently to a massive seizure and was worried that coconut oil, which I had just started giving her, somehow contributed. I'm sure it didn't and she loved it and it was a lot of help with digestion. She also loved nutritional yeast, eggs, toast, and peanuts and had a fair amount of (organic) half and half every day for most of her life. She was also never vaccinated after age 7 and was an indoor cat later in life with access to a garden. But, she became hyperthyroid at age 17.5 just like my other cat and took medicine to control it. I think that condition may have either contributed to or caused the seizure/stroke. I honestly thought she was going to make it another couple of years. I also believe hyperthyroidism was the underlying cause of my other cat's demise as she just stopped being able to use her back legs.

I really want to avoid thyroid disease in my 12 year old boy who is now my remaining kitty (for now) and I think diet is essential. He developed a life threatening urinary blockage a couple years ago due to crystals and we had to put him on prescription food. He honestly eats very little of it but does eat a "high-quality" wet food which after discovering Peat, I looked at and see has safflower oil as ingredient #2. He mainly licks the juices of all wet food so I know he's getting tons of PUFAs.

I've tried him on raw and he wouldn't eat it and I wasted so much food that I stopped, but I think diet is key. He developed the crystals due to eating a very high quality "grain free" food which I realized later contains high quantities of things like pea protein, vegetables and fruits, all things a cat does not need or do well on. He lost his "fat" belly after stopping that food. His prescription dry does contain corn, but also organ meats which I think is way better than the other drys that are supposed to be so good.

He goes for a walk every day and has access to a cat run and used to get mice a lot that he ate, which was probably the best food for him. He does not like "people food" much but will occasionally drink half and half. He gets a rabies vaccine every 3-5 years, which I don't like doing but he does hunt in his small outdoor area and we do have bats and small rodents around.

Hyperthyroidism in cats was almost unheard of 20-30 years ago and now is almost a given in cats that live to a certain age. Most certainly it's diet and environment. I'd love to get my boy to a happy 25 and am going to try a raw diet again and hope that helps us prevent some of this bad stuff.

I can stop hyperthyroid attacks with Progestene easily.

HLP

My cat is approaching 20 in a few months and his brother died at 19 yrs. He's an outdoor farm cat who caught tons of mice. From what I know cats need higher fat than dogs. Anytime my dog gets into the cat food she gets the craps. I feed my dogs fresh milk but I'm not so sure it's good for cats.

austin06

I can stop hyperthyroid attacks with Progestene easily.

With progesterone? I'm not exactly sure what it was that took her. She had a "milder" stroke or seizure about a week before she had a major one. She recovered 100% after the first one in about 30 minutes and her thyroid levels, blood pressure, etc. were quite good. The next step was an xray of her head which we were debating. The last was awful body seizures and after 10 minutes and on the way to the vet, we realized she was blind and paralyzed and gasping for air. At 20, there was no way we were going to try to intervene (there really wasn't anything we could do) or let her suffer more. It appeared to be neurological. She had a very good life and relatively long by cat standards but it was hard to say goodbye to a being that's been in your life that long. I'll continue to learn more and be diligent about using things outside of the traditional vet world to keep my boy cat healthy as possible.

Nokoni

Has anyone tried giving methylene blue to their cats (say, 1 drop in their water 3-4 times/week)?
I put a drop in a jar of water, give them each a teaspoon with every meal. Glycine too. And a tiny bit of thyroid daily.

yerrag

So, I am trying to make sense of Mehtylene blue's actions, NO2, nitrates, caffeine, and everything else RP has shed light on. This one man fed his cats eggs, broccoli/asparagus, bacon and coffee with cream every morning and two of them lived incredibly long lives by any standard. I would love some educated opinions on how these cats avoided diseases of old age for much longer than the average cat and lived twice as long as most well-kept and "relatively healthy" cats. We cannot extrapolate data from cats to humans, but I feel there is something here which must be investigated. Maybe the answer will jump out immediately to someone who who understands diet better than I do. Please share.

And go....
I'm more brushed up now on health, so I'm going to get another crack at this.I feel that if you could preserve the cat's kidney health, the cat would live a long life, barring no other acute diseases from infection or being able to avoid hyperthyroidism.

Seems like these cats didn't eat as much protein as normally cats are fed. I doubt he would be feeding so much bacon and eggs. His protein source is not as heavy on sulfur and phosphates, and that he was feeding his cats vegetables. Perhaps the cats blood is more alkaline, and the less acidity in the blood required less work from the kidneys. In this way their kidney was preserved and able to last longer. There was an abundance of alkaline minerals - calcium (from cream), magnesium (from broccoli and asparagus - although leaves would be better (if the cat would eat them, maybe better to mix the leaves with the chow), sodium (from bacon), and potassium (veggies and bacon). In addition, we don't know if these cats roam and also had access to grass and other plants, which I've seen them eat (maybe it's just to make into balls that they retch, or they also actually digest). The coffee probably helps too since it increases their metabolism.

I've begun to add a mix of the ff into their food - b1, b2, b3, salt, potassium chloride, magnesium chloride, trace minerals, and taurine (since it's cooked and it's essential), and sometimes calcium carbonate (when the fish is large and the bones had to be removed). I'm thinking of replacing the chloride with something else though, since too much chlorides can contributes to higher blood acidity, and make the kidney wore more.

I've read an article that says our kidneys are 100% operational only until age 25, which is about the age we stop growing. It seems more than a coincidence that we also need a lot of sulfur-rich protein to grow. It appears that the kidney being 100% was meant to support the growth stage where the sulfur-rich amino acids are needed. Intake of these amino acids would increase blood acidity, but it is not a problem at this stage for us because our kidneys can handle the acid load. Past age 25, we should move away from sulfur-rich proteins. This is where we should eat more glycine-rich foods, and less of the sulfur-rich proteins. All throughout though, it helps that we drink fruit juice and eat vegetables (or drink vegetable juice) as these provide us with alkalinity in order to lessen the acid load. Lessening the acid load would not only make the kidney work less, but also allow for carbon dioxide to play a larger role in contributing to the desired pH of our blood. With less acidity from other sources (such as sulfuric acid and phosphoric acid from sulfur- and phosphate-rich protein, as well as lactic acid) in the blood, more carbon dioxide would be needed in the blood to maintain the necessary blood pH. The more CO2 in the blood, the better our body tissues are oxygenated, and the more energy can be produced. Energy is needed for our health, as we all know. A surplus of energy makes the body develo?p better.

Are cats really as carnivorous as we think they are? If they're fed more vegetables, to give them alkalinizing minerals, would they live longer? This also made me think about assessing what I feed my koi, as they may be low on magnesium.

When we apply this knowledge to cats and to our other pets, we can quickly and easily verify the soundness of what we have learned from Ray Peat and each other. When we see our pets live healthy, happy, and long lives with us, we see them repaying us for our care with them validating our approach to living. They are not lab animals, but in a way they are, but given the best love and care.

Last edited:

DenMarker

haha this is what those pple meant when they say bacons are good for you.
i can understsand coffee...but bacon?

DenMarker

I got a book by a vet a few years ago,
describing how to make your own cat/dog food.
Can't remember the title/author now--I still have the book somewhere.
I never made any of the recipes--it was kinda a lot of work.
I still have sporadic thoughts of doing so, though.
if u do know the title, pls do share with us...
it would be good to know more on making our own cat or dog food

fradon

So, I am trying to make sense of Mehtylene blue's actions, NO2, nitrates, caffeine, and everything else RP has shed light on. This one man fed his cats eggs, broccoli/asparagus, bacon and coffee with cream every morning and two of them lived incredibly long lives by any standard. I would love some educated opinions on how these cats avoided diseases of old age for much longer than the average cat and lived twice as long as most well-kept and "relatively healthy" cats. We cannot extrapolate data from cats to humans, but I feel there is something here which must be investigated. Maybe the answer will jump out immediately to someone who who understands diet better than I do. Please share.

And go....

also almost all cat foods contain grains and cheap meat and this damages their kidneys.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom