Old Copper Penny For Zinc/Copper ?

michael94

from 1962 to 1982 American pennies were 95% Copper 5% Zinc brass alloy. You can find pennies from that time quite easily today in circulation. I'm wondering if this could be used as trace metal source for example if soaked in some coffee or something else acidic. Perhaps it would form a complex with the tannins? The ratio would be 19:1 copper to zinc not sure if thats good or not.

Last edited:

gaze

i think it’s way too much. even just soaking it would provide a toxic amount if eaten consistently. Fruit milk meat seafood and eggs provide plenty of minerals, you really shouldn’t need a supplement

milkboi

No the ratio is way off, you want more zinc than copper (something like 7:1). Also, the pennies are probably full of disgusting traces of former owners. Why not just take a supplement if you really need those minerals lol?

OP
michael94

michael94

No the ratio is way off, you want more zinc than copper (something like 7:1). Also, the pennies are probably full of disgusting traces of former owners. Why not just take a supplement if you really need those minerals lol?
well you could clean it with some vinegar. As for supplements, well this could be a convenient way to take ( with coffee for examp. ), that doesnt require getting a supplement. That is a good point about ratio being coppery, perhaps for those not wanting as much zinc

i think it’s way too much. even just soaking it would provide a toxic amount if eaten consistently. Fruit milk meat seafood and eggs provide plenty of minerals, you really shouldn’t need a supplement
ok what if you don't eat meat/seafood ( vegetarian or vegans )

redsun

well you could clean it with some vinegar. As for supplements, well this could be a convenient way to take ( with coffee for examp. ), that doesnt require getting a supplement. That is a good point about ratio being coppery, perhaps for those not wanting as much zinc

ok what if you don't eat meat/seafood ( vegetarian or vegans )

So because you are vegan you feel the need to use pennies for copper and zinc source...? Vegans would not be low in copper of all the things. They would be low in zinc which pennies have very little of since its mostly copper.

So you either eat animal zinc sources or take zinc supplements like zinc gluconate because the bioavailability of zinc in plants is bad. Does not make a shred of sense to basically consume minerals from pennies when you can buy supplements which provide these trace nutrients in correct quantities.

RWilly

You wouldn't get the zinc from a penny unless the copper is scraped off. But the copper plating is antibacterial.

Why Copper May Help Protect Us from Coronavirus

You don't want to ingest it though. Kids who have swallowed pennies have gotten ulcers, and that is because the stomach acid eventually removes the copper, to where the zinc causes the ulcers.

Kunstruct

I noticed that in popular culture bacteria and virus are pretty much the same thing.

None the less copper is pretty good against fungi and in this case I am not talking about humans, but copper as fungicide in plants.
If you have had any dealing with plants before you will know that people are using copper to get rid of various fungi.
Like copper sulphate, copper oxide or copper octanoate, etc.
Some substances we have used before in the garden on various plants and even on trees.

RWilly

None the less copper is pretty good against fungi and in this case I am not talking about humans, but copper as fungicide in plants.
If you have had any dealing with plants before you will know that people are using copper to get rid of various fungi.

Good point.

In France they use copper as a fungicide on their grapes in their vineyards and they green their vegetables at market with copper water. The Mediterranean Diet has shown to be successful, and I wonder if it is the extra copper in their food intake. This may also explain the "French Paradox", where a high saturated fat diet does not cause heart disease. In my opinion, this is likely due to less endotoxin absorption from high fat diets, due to less bacteria.

I like the work that Viktor Schlauberger did in terms of understanding copper in a soil environment:

"Primarily, he believed that using iron or steel implements to work the soil was detrimental. Everything in Nature is in movement, moving towards either growth or decay. If metallic iron is exposed to the weather it will rust and decay in a relatively short time. He could not see the logic of trying to encourage plants to grow using a material that is in a process of decay. Copper, on the other hand, is much more stable. Nuggets of metallic copper have been found in the Earth. It is not antagonistic to the Earth, is not in a process of decay. (In fact, it actively resists harmful bacteria. More about this on the copper page of this site.)

Secondly, he believed that on planet Earth, growth occurs in cooling conditions, in the medium of water; and decay occurs in conditions of warmth: the medium of fire. That is why compost heaps get hot. The heat encourages the constituents of the heap to break down, to be accessible for the next cycle of growth. Iron has greater frictional resistance than copper. This means that as an iron or steel ploughshare is dragged through the soil it heats up. Copper and its alloy, bronze, are smoother than iron, so the tool stays cool as it moves through the soil.

And thirdly, iron is a sparking metal. A spark is a discharge, a loss of energy. Viktor Schauberger believed that as the groundwater makes its way to the surface, it acquires a weak electrical charge. This charge is part of what nourishes the plants. Using iron tools depletes the groundwater of this charge, leaving less for the plants. Copper is a non-sparking metal, so there is no loss of energy in this way."

Like copper sulphate, copper oxide or copper octanoate, etc.
Some substances we have used before in the garden on various plants and even on trees.

People are using those substances, which are easily found in garden stores, to copper plate. There are lots of YouTube videos on that, if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Buy a copper coffee pot. You don't know exact composition of the coins, I doubt it's zinc and copper only.

rei

Traditional yoga recommends to let clean water sit in a copper vessel overnight for health, especially liver health. They say water remembers the energetic signature of where it has been. In a way this is an accurate scientific description.

OP
michael94

michael94

You wouldn't get the zinc from a penny unless the copper is scraped off. But the copper plating is antibacterial.

Why Copper May Help Protect Us from Coronavirus

You don't want to ingest it though. Kids who have swallowed pennies have gotten ulcers, and that is because the stomach acid eventually removes the copper, to where the zinc causes the ulcers.
The pennies made in the United States from 1962 to 1982 are a brass alloy ( 95% copper and 5% zinc ), not copper plated zinc like the newer ones. Everyone has made an important point that it's mostly copper not so much zinc, which is good/bad depending on your needs. Also I'm not vegan.

Last edited:

RWilly

Luckily copper alloys such as brass still have antimicrobial properties.