Okinawa Longevity Diet - Sweat Potatoes High In Beta-Carotene

PeatReader

reality

Although Ray says the too much beta carotene can be problematic for thyroid it's interesting that the Okinawan's eat purple sweet potatoes and this study suggests there are differences in different varieties of sweet potatoes and, if I'm interpreting it correctly, purple sweet potatoes are much lower in beta carotene:
The purple ones are higher in polyphenols (anthocyanins) which are possibly estrogenic

I think the white flesh ones would be best

Mauritio

@Mauritio @jb116 Have you seen this.
Interesting !policosonal are fascinating. Is there actually policosanols in shoshu?
I'm going to keep taking it anyway ,it feels good :) helps with pufa , androgens and klotho . Sounds like a good recipe for living a long and healthy life .

J

jb116

@Mauritio @jb116 Have you seen this.
Thanks! Indeed a fascinating substance and sort of mysterious for me, even after the time and experience I am having with it.
Check this out, confirms the Japanese thing:
Effects of Okinawan sugar cane wax and fatty alcohol on serum and liver lipids in the rat. | Semantic Scholar

I do have concerns about it because of the possibility it may act more like a sequestrant than a metabolic converter of cholesterol.

Here:
Effects of the kokuto (brown sugar)-shochu lees on the cholesterol metabolism in rat

"The excretion of fecal bile acids and cholesterol were significantly higher from the kokuto-shochu lees diets than from the control diet. These results suggest that the diet containing kokuto-shochu lees had a beneficial effect on the level of serum and liver lipids in rats"

Now it would have been nice to see 2 control groups, in which one contained only policosanol. Because this does seem to be an alcoholic drink , so other variables at play.

What do you guys think?

revenant

Interesting !policosonal are fascinating. Is there actually policosanols in shoshu?
I'm going to keep taking it anyway ,it feels good :) helps with pufa , androgens and klotho . Sounds like a good recipe for living a long and healthy life .

I'm not a chemist, but if I understood correctly, the policosanols in sugar cane form esters during the fermentation phase, and these do end up in the final alcohol product to some degree at least. Maybe someone else on the forum has a better grasp of how it works?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals