OJ + Milk Query

lovelife

First question... I've seen on here many times that some of you are drinking milk + OJ together. I'm somewhat confused on this.. as a child my friends and I went through the common "let's experiment in the kitchen" phase and I mixed OJ and Milk together and made my brother drink it as the taste tester (poor younger siblings) and he promptly threw it up everywhere. The milk also instantly curdled from the citrus. How are you all able to mix these things and not throw up?!?

Second question.. assuming that this is a viable way to drink OJ...
I have been unable to drink much juice.. specifically OJ for now. I have many teeth problems (no insurance to fix them) and citrus juices really hurt my teeth. Do you think that mixing it with milk would help protect my teeth enough that I may actually be able to follow the OJ guidelines?

I've been drinking grape and apple juice, but even then I can only do about 16 oz in a day or my teeth will start bothering me. If I had the money I would just invest in eating more whole fruit, but the other issue I'm dealing with in trying to eat this way is that I only have $60 for 2 wks worth of food and dairy isn't cheap. OJ is cheaper than any other juice though so it's a pain to figure out something else to drink.

saul42

You don't have to drink that much OJ. I drink two glasses a day and squeeze it myself. Depending on where you live you can buy a bag of oranges for as little as 5.00. My brother in Austin Texas picks up bags (I think they are 10-15 lbs for around 5 bucks sometimes cheaper). It takes about 3 oranges to give you a glass of of Juice.

Some people simply drink a lot of milk and skip the cheese. if you have no reaction to milk you could drink a gallon a day and pretty much get all your nutrients from there, plus a bit of powdered Gelatin. Then you can throw in some fruits. Even bottled fruits are fine with a lot of sugar.

OP
lovelife

lovelife

I wish I could squeeze my own. But that's way expensive.. you're right about $5 for a bag which usually has like 8 or so in it.. but I would then only be able to drink like max of 8 oz a day.. which I thought most wanted at least a liter/quart a day.

I'm not sure what bottled fruits are?

Well, I like to eat actual food as well.. I don't want to be on a completely liquid diet. I can get a gallon of milk for about $2.40.. which if I literally drank a gallon of milk a day that would be like $33.. half my budget. I just don't think I can drink that much milk... I was never a milk drinker even as a child. I've gotten up to about 32oz a day and that doesn't even always happen. But I could try it out I suppose. My stomach has no issues with milk, but it does cause some acne/break outs... which is annoying, but not a big deal.

Maybe I'll experiment with a gallon for one day and see how it goes. I will need to find something to mix with some of it as that is boring to drink all day, but it does have quite a bit of most nutrients... it just seems like so much milk LOL.

Thank you for the suggestions. :)

BingDing

Milk curdles when ph is reduced to about 4.7, to be technical. Use a little less OJ. When you get it just right it is a heavenly taste, to me.

The quality of the milk makes a difference, IMO. I'm lucky to have access to really good grass fed milk and even when the milk curdles the taste doesn't change much. My main complaint is the little particles of coagulated casein stick to my teeth.

OP
lovelife

lovelife

@BingDing: Unfortunately grass fed milk isn't happening on my budget. But I have been looking up some orange julius recipes and I think I'm figuring out some ways to try it out.

When you mix yours do you use a blender or just pour them together? Also, do you add anything else to it (salt/sugar/ect)?

4peatssake

lovelife said:
@BingDing: Unfortunately grass fed milk isn't happening on my budget. But I have been looking up some orange julius recipes and I think I'm figuring out some ways to try it out.

When you mix yours do you use a blender or just pour them together? Also, do you add anything else to it (salt/sugar/ect)?
I drink OJ and milk together all the time and unfortunately don't have access to raw or grass fed milk.

I actually like more milk now, use to do 2:1 ratio of OJ to milk. I sometimes even add a shot of cream to make it really rich but its more fattening that way. ;)

I add sugar to taste. If I crave more sugar I use more sugar.

Using the blender is great to get it really frothy but most times I just shake it up in a mason jar.

BingDing

My first few months as a Peatnik I put jello and milk in the blender to chop it up, then add OJ. Lately just milk and OJ and stir with a spoon. Like 4ps I add simple sugar when I want.

saul42

lovelife

If you are on a tight budget you might actually qualify for SNAP. More and more Americans are using it due to the deteriorating economic conditions.

In regards to milk. Don't force yourself to drink 1 gallon a day. You should enjoy your food, more than anything.

Another cheap and very good source of nutrients and energy is Potatoes. So you could eat them with butter and salt and you would get a lot of your nutrients this way. So some milk, some fruits, some sugar and potatoes and if you can get a bit of gelatin you would be on a pretty decent diet.

Potatoes are very healthy as long as you not frying them in the wrong oil.