OJ + Milk Alternative: Fromage Blanc Or Skyr With Fruit Jam

Mufasa

Ray Peat has recommended the orange juice + milk diet a lot.
This has worked quite okay for me.
But I find it hard to get my calories from that kind of a diet.
You are quickly ingesting too many liquids.
I always add a lot of starches (cookies and pasta from rice or potato starch or just natural rice) to get my calorie needs up.

Since a year or something I switched from milk to fromage blanc or skyr.
Skyr here in Holland contains around 10-11 gram protein per 100 gram.
The whey protein is filtered from skyr, it contains less fat and it contains much less liquid per protein. To me this seems a better food than milk.

Since recently, I'm adding fruit jams to my skyr.
I know Danny Roddy likes to add sugar to its milk, but is there anything wrong with fruit jams?
It is just heated fruit with added sugar and less water, sounds like very much Peaty to me.
I like marmalade, blackberry and cherry jams.

megadorus

I'm curious why no one has responded yet.
I'm planning on doing the same thing.
Turns out I don't tolerate large amounts of skimmed milk (yet) so my plan was to substitute with skyr, cottage cheese or quark with jam/marmalade.

biffbelvin

If you tolerate the skyr go for it.

I have yoghurt and fruit for breakfast most days and it suits me well.

Based Kantian

The bacteria and lactic acid in skyr aren't ideal, while Fromage Blanc is too fatty to eat 8+ servings of a day. If you can find skyr that's not sour and pasteurize it, that should be good

T

TheBeard

The bacteria and lactic acid in skyr aren't ideal, while Fromage Blanc is too fatty to eat 8+ servings of a day. If you can find skyr that's not sour and pasteurize it, that should be good

As long as your diet is free from starch and fiber, the bacteria won't be problematic as it won't be fed to multiply.

michael94

skyr is similar to greek yogurt and depending on variety has less lactic acid

Last edited:

reality

I found skyr/fage/Greek yogurt have me blood sugar issues, no matter how much fruit I had with it. It also constipated me. The full fat variety was slightly better digestion wise, but I never felt great with it.
I’ve switched to natural goats yogurt, which I know peat doesn’t recommend because of the lactic acid, but I feel great with it. Have a tub with some fruit and honey it’s delicious and have zero issues.

i suspect the a1 casein was giving me issues, and the strained (Greek) has too much protein which was lowering my blood sugars too much.

Inaut

@Mufasa still eating skyr instead of milk? I've been thinking about eating a 500g container (with orange marmalade :))a day as my main calcium source and see how i feel on it. I've been breaking out lately and I think it's either the milk or the casein protein I've been adding to the milk... I'm thinking it's the latter but I seriously think skyr is where it's at...

OP
M

Mufasa

I have been eating skyr for years now yes!

I feel a bit weird from too much marmelade.
I mix it with ceylon cinnamon and fruit, and sometimes fruit jam indeed, but mosty actually blackberry jam, as I like the taste hehe.

I also eat starches so sometimes I dont need extra sugar in the skyr.