OJ+MB=DHA?

Inaut

Been adding a drop of MB to my OJ lately and find it to be an interesting pair... Who else does this and do you notice a difference compared to MB by itself or in water??? How much DHA would you get in say a quart of OJ? Curious to hear thoughts

Jstar

I just posted this in another thread. It’s from Bill of EarthClinic.
“If you want a cheap and cheerful way to orally supplement DHA then, as Ted from Bangkok recommends, all you need is Lugol’s iodine, Baking Soda (Arm & Hammer is fine to use), Ascorbic acid, and a glass of water. First add 1/4 tsp of ascorbic acid (1 gram) to the water. Then add 6 drops of LI. You will notice that the iodine in the water turns from brown to clear and that’s because the ascorbic acid is oxidized and converted to DHA while the molecular iodine is reduced to clear iodide. The last thing you add is the baking soda—add this until the fizzing stops. Now you have an oral solution of sodium ascorbate + iodide + DHA in ascorbate form.

"Without getting too technical, when you mix together Lugol’s iodine and ascorbic acid with water in a glass and then add sodium bicarbonate until the fizzing stops, the molecular iodine component of lugols is converted to sodium iodide and the ascorbic acid is converted to dehydro-ascorbic acid (DHA). Put simply, the ascorbic acid is oxidized to DHA by molecular iodine and the molecular iodine is reduced to sodium iodide during the reaction. You can see this happening in the glass because the brown color of the molecular iodine in Lugol's slowly turns colorless (iodide is colorless).

Razvan

Been adding a drop of MB to my OJ lately and find it to be an interesting pair... Who else does this and do you notice a difference compared to MB by itself or in water??? How much DHA would you get in say a quart of OJ? Curious to hear thoughts
What have you noticed? I added it in red bull or coke and it seems a much better effect than OJ

Jam

Hmm. Unless there is added ascorbic acid in your OJ, I doubt that there is enough free AA for the MB to oxidize in any significant amounts.

Dr. B

Hmm. Unless there is added ascorbic acid in your OJ, I doubt that there is enough free AA for the MB to oxidize in any significant amounts.
is it true ascorbic acid stresses the glutathione system? some sites say it boosts glutathione, but Bill of earthclinic said it lowers it

Jam

is it true ascorbic acid stresses the glutathione system? some sites say it boosts glutathione, but Bill of earthclinic said it lowers it
tileshop.fcgi

catharsis

So, kinda. Ascorbic acid, at least according to this graphic, is used as a reduction agent to reduce (add hydrogen) superoxide to hydrogen peroxide. This cycle is repeated again to hydrogen peroxide, generating two water molecules. Dehydroascorbate is the oxidized (low amounts of hydrogen) form of vitamin C, which needs reduced glutathione (normally called just glutathione) to be regenerated back into regular vitamin C (Ascorbate).

Taking straight vitamin C, by my estimation, could lower active glutathione through needing it to regenerate itself. Vitamin C could also spare GSH by being an antioxidant for superoxide. I find the PDK inhibition more interesting for vitamin C than its known antioxidant prowess.

We have abundant amounts of cysteine and glutamate (the horror!) within our modern diets, but we don't have enough glycine which is also needed for glutathione synthesis. If you are worried about GSH levels, you could supplement gelatin/collagen or eat some chicken feet broth. Sometimes that isn't so helpful in some health conditions like cancer...

Peachy

If you are worried about GSH levels, you could supplement gelatin/collagen or eat some chicken feet broth. Sometimes that isn't so helpful in some health conditions like cancer...
Why might gelatin/collagen not be helpful when someone has cancer?

catharsis

That’s why I only supplement glycine and proline isolated
Why might gelatin/collagen not be helpful when someone has cancer?
So I assume glycine would have almost the same effect in cancer patients as gelatin... It would not really change things too much unless you find high doses of glycine palatable and find gelatin/collagen completely allergenic and abhorrent in some way. In general, gelatin/collagen is very very healthy but I would be more nuanced in my reading and scientific eye before focusing on Glutathione-maxing. It's like when gymbros focus on boosting GH or anabolism: helpful in one particular case but can cause problems in other areas.

I mention the caution about GSH levels as cancer cells accumulate antioxidants to evade immune system detection. This is why there are sometimes isolated studies about NAC promoting cancer growth.

Blocking Cystine, And Thus Glutathione (GSH) Synthesis, Kills Cancer Stem Cells

God bless the Bulgarian Wizard @haidut :)

Peachy

I mention the caution about GSH levels as cancer cells accumulate antioxidants to evade immune system detection. This is why there are sometimes isolated studies about NAC promoting cancer growth.
Ah. I didn’t know that. Thanks. Would that apply to high-dose antioxidant supplements too?

Peachy

Ah. I didn’t know that. Thanks. Would that apply to high-dose antioxidant supplements too?
I just reread your comment and it sounds like you were saying that in general, antioxidants can buildup in cancer cells. It’s funny that antioxidants are the darling of the cancer world but not when you look at the research. I didn’t realize that this was one of the reasons (making cancer able to evade the immune system).

Dr. B

So, kinda. Ascorbic acid, at least according to this graphic, is used as a reduction agent to reduce (add hydrogen) superoxide to hydrogen peroxide. This cycle is repeated again to hydrogen peroxide, generating two water molecules. Dehydroascorbate is the oxidized (low amounts of hydrogen) form of vitamin C, which needs reduced glutathione (normally called just glutathione) to be regenerated back into regular vitamin C (Ascorbate).

Taking straight vitamin C, by my estimation, could lower active glutathione through needing it to regenerate itself. Vitamin C could also spare GSH by being an antioxidant for superoxide. I find the PDK inhibition more interesting for vitamin C than its known antioxidant prowess.

We have abundant amounts of cysteine and glutamate (the horror!) within our modern diets, but we don't have enough glycine which is also needed for glutathione synthesis. If you are worried about GSH levels, you could supplement gelatin/collagen or eat some chicken feet broth. Sometimes that isn't so helpful in some health conditions like cancer...
Cysteine is also difficult to get isnt it? Some supplement users like NAC for that extra cysteine... can glycine be produced internally? One big supplement designer told me Part of the logic to using NAc is to provide more cysteine which he thought people dont get enough of in a standard diet.

Regarding pdk isn’t that something you want raised to boost sugar oxidation? Doesnt thiamine raise pdk? But I heard vitamin c boosts carnitine and collagen production anr boosts fat oxidation?

One concern btw, i heard vit c is involved in adrenals? When i use it i seem to get all the cortisol type symptoms from it. Puffier face, acne, shrunken eyes, maybe more fatigue too. Im curious why it’s like this. I do use the high quality quali C

What do you think net effect of C would be on hydrogen peroxide levels would it raise or lower them

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals