Oil Pulling - Side Effects

Djukami

Seriously, are there only benefits from it?

Ok, I've seen many people that have positive results, that their teeth become whiter, etc. But let's talk about the other side of the history: the one that no one talks about. Like most things, no one talks about the negative results.

I've started doing oil pulling and I'm noticing that my throat becomes a little rough.
After doing a little research, it seems most people have this side effect and, actually, some people get really sick after doing oil pulling for a certain period of time and they even get their gums completely sore. Of course, then there is always this argument that it is a detox reaction and it all will be better after continuing doing it. However, I've actually read some people saying that it only gets worse. "Ah, you are swallowing small bits of the oil then of course you get sick." ; "As with any homeopathic treatment, it gets worse until it starts to get better". Seriously, non of that bull**** argument, not that they are wrong, but I want some real explanation to what is going on.

I mean, if I drink milk I can end up with the same reactions and I don't believe I am having a "detoxing" reaction.

- Are people allergic to Coconut Oil (even though I've read some people getting bad reactions with Sesame and Safflower oil)?
- Is it that there is some underlying infection that oil pulling triggers it? Does this make sense at all?
- Perhaps, oil pulling activates your immune system...?

Has anyone here tried doing it for a straight full month? Or has anyone here tried and have these side effects?

Queequeg

I have done oil pulling daily for over a month and then backed off to once a week and now am back to daily. I did notice my gums were hurting at one point but I think that was due to vitamin C depletion as it went away after starting to take vitamin C. I'm curious about these side effects though. The only thing that I can tell it has done for me is whiten my teeth which was a nice surprise. The other benefits are too tough to isolate.

It's possible that as you spit out the oil it also pulls (among the bacteria) certain protective elements that would normally keep the inside of your mouth lubricated so it leaves your mouth dry and leads to sore gums and things like that.

Just a guess anyway.

The_xXx

oil pulling helps binds toxins. Your whole body is full of toxins especially your stored body fat. Those toxins are lipophile have high affinity to fat, but only to pufas not to sfa. So if you do oil pulling, done right with sunflower oil because high amounts of pufas, the pufas start bind the toxins ,heavy metals etc to their unsatured backbone. It gets saturated after this pogress. If you re swallowing the oil after you re done good luck with this toxin bomb inside your body, then you re ****88 up. So you have to throw up. Thats why peat i think highly advertise against eating pufas because they start pulling out the toxins out of your tissues. Then the pufas will circulate in your blood and you will start feel bad.

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/tswj/2013/205621/

Dave Clark

Personally, I would just swish ozone water in my mouth for a few minutes. Or you could use 3% H2O2, colloidal silver, etc. I did the oil pulling and I didn't care for the way my mouth felt afterward (maybe I didn't stay with it long enough). Plus, I don't have twenty minutes to dedicate to swishing oil around my mouth and fighting the urge to swallow everyday (maybe I could try the once/week thing).

Queequeg

oil pulling helps binds toxins. Your whole body is full of toxins especially your stored body fat. Those toxins are lipophile have high affinity to fat, but only to pufas not to sfa. So if you do oil pulling, done right with sunflower oil because high amounts of pufas, the pufas start bind the toxins ,heavy metals etc to their unsatured backbone. It gets saturated after this pogress. If you re swallowing the oil after you re done good luck with this toxin bomb inside your body, then you re ****88 up. So you have to throw up. Thats why peat i think highly advertise against eating pufas because they start pulling out the toxins out of your tissues. Then the pufas will circulate in your blood and you will start feel bad.

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/tswj/2013/205621/
This doesn't sound correct. Do you have another source for SFAs not absorbing toxins? That article is about olestra and its benefit is because it is not absorbed in the intestines. Also PUFAs are absorbed thrpough the skin so you are actually adding toxins to the body if you oil pull with PUFAs.

Milena

Personally, I would just swish ozone water in my mouth for a few minutes. Or you could use 3% H2O2, colloidal silver, etc. I did the oil pulling and I didn't care for the way my mouth felt afterward (maybe I didn't stay with it long enough). Plus, I don't have twenty minutes to dedicate to swishing oil around my mouth and fighting the urge to swallow everyday (maybe I could try the once/week thing).
Don't do that with metal fillings. Contra indicated

Prosper

. So if you do oil pulling, done right with sunflower oil because high amounts of pufas, the pufas start bind the toxins ,heavy metals etc to their unsatured backbone. It gets saturated after this pogress.

Interesting, never considered this.

The_xXx

This doesn't sound correct. Do you have another source for SFAs not absorbing toxins? That article is about olestra and its benefit is because it is not absorbed in the intestines. Also PUFAs are absorbed thrpough the skin so you are actually adding toxins to the body if you oil pull with PUFAs.
if we assume dat the oil is toxin free . How you want adding sth dat you allready have. If you start oil pulling yes very little of the oil is absorped through skin. You allready have the toxins so they will only come out from tissue to get bind to the oil in your body. So there is no new toxins added to your body.

pure SFA cant have toxins how it want bind them, that is it not possible if there isnt sth. where the fat molecule can stick

Last edited:

Queequeg

if we assume dat the oil is toxin free . How you want adding sth dat you allready have. If you start oil pulling yes very little of the oil is absorped through skin. You allready have the toxins so they will only come out from tissue to get bind to the oil in your body. So there is no new toxins added to your body.

pure SFA cant have toxins how it want bind them that is i think not possible if there isnt sth. where to fat molecule can stick
The toxins from oil pulling with PUFAs are the PUFAs which as we all know are toxic and very much absorbed through the skin.

Whether or not a fat is saturated or unsaturated has little to do with its ability to dissolve and remove toxins from the body. The key issue at work is the polarity of the molecules. Most toxins are non-polar and therefore lipophilic i.e. tend to dissolve in non-polar fat molecules. Both SFAs and PUFAs are non-polar so oil pulling would work with either one. It is the same reason why most toxins are stored in the body's fat cells.

michael94

The toxins from oil pulling with PUFAs are the PUFAs which as we all know are toxic and very much absorbed through the skin.

Whether or not a fat is saturated or unsaturated has little to do with its ability to dissolve and remove toxins from the body. The key issue at work is the polarity of the molecules. Most toxins are non-polar and therefore lipophilic i.e. tend to dissolve in non-polar fat molecules. Both SFAs and PUFAs are non-polar so oil pulling would work with either one. It is the same reason why most toxins are stored in the body's fat cells.
Interesting points and by the way a lot of sunflower oils are mostly MUFA ( some are 80%+ oleic acid ) which is just as stable as saturated fats.

Queequeg

Interesting points and by the way a lot of sunflower oils are mostly MUFA ( some are 80%+ oleic acid ) which is just as stable as saturated fats.
I still wouldn't oil pull with sunflower oil. Not all sunflower oils are high oleic, some are high in linoleic and even the high oleic ones still have more PUFAs than CO. That is also assuming that they really are giving you high oleic sunflower oil as labeled.

Last edited:

Buttercup

I've started doing it (three days or so). Haven't noticed anything yet (in teeth whitening department). I will truly be astounded if it works. I've tried pretty much everything now (short of paying for professional work to whiten them).

So is there a type of oil that works best? I've been using coconut oil.

Queequeg

I've started doing it (three days or so). Haven't noticed anything yet (in teeth whitening department). I will truly be astounded if it works. I've tried pretty much everything now (short of paying for professional work to whiten them).

I would stick with CO. Its antibacterial/viral [properties are also a plus as well as its low PUFA

The_xXx

I would stick with CO. Its antibacterial/viral [properties are also a plus as well as its low PUFA
i tried it today it worked so amazing after 20 mins i got high temperature also impressive blood flow. So it must due the ****** pufas they have higher abitlity to bind toxins and bacterias. I ve also tried before oil pulling with high quality coconut oil and it didnt help at all nothing. So whats the conclussion about that . The conclussion is that you re bullheaded . Also i told you that you wont swallow the oil. Also we learned that we can use pufas high quality pufas in therapeutic way . And now pls dont come me with but pufas are toxic we need to avoid them you re ****** toxic and retard and ppl need to avoid your recommandations (Yes my english is bad like your arguments )

Queequeg

i tried it today it worked so amazing after 20 mins i got high temperature also impressive blood flow. So it must due the ****** pufas they have higher abitlity to bind toxins and bacterias. I ve also tried before oil pulling with high quality coconut oil and it didnt help at all nothing. So whats the conclussion about that . The conclussion is that you re bullheaded . Also i told you that you wont swallow the oil. Also we learned that we can use pufas high quality pufas in therapeutic way . And now pls dont come me with but pufas are toxic we need to avoid them you re ****** toxic and retard and ppl need to avoid your recommandations (Yes my english is bad like your arguments )
I see you get angry and frustrated rather easily. I don't mind the bad English but your bad biochemistry is rather annoying and not helpful to the forum.

OP
D

Djukami

I have done oil pulling daily for over a month and then backed off to once a week and now am back to daily. I did notice my gums were hurting at one point but I think that was due to vitamin C depletion as it went away after starting to take vitamin C. I'm curious about these side effects though. The only thing that I can tell it has done for me is whiten my teeth which was a nice surprise. The other benefits are too tough to isolate.
It indeed whitens the teeth. I've read some people saying to wash your mouth after doing it with water with baking soda or salty water to raise the pH to alkaline levels where bad bacteria can't thrive.

Regarding to what I was saying, if you do a simple search on Google like "oil pulling sore throat", you will find tons of stories from people who experienced the negative side effects I've mentioned.

Some examples:

"I started OP about 3 mos ago. Love that my teeth were becoming not sensitive to hot or cold anymore. Then about a month ago I started having the same reaction. Got horribly sick for a couple weeks, started having a sore throat w/blisters and swollen glands. (I rarely ever get sick) I went to the Doctors and they didn't know what the blisters were and told me to just stop OP. So I did thinking I was having an allergic reaction maybe. Now me teeth are becoming very sensitive again so I decided to start OP again (I use EV Coconut Oil) and right away I am starting to get the sore throat w/blisters again! Rawfoodgirl - did this ever go away for you? I'm debating if I should continue or maybe just try a different oil?"
Source: Oil Pulling detox reaction at Oil Pulling & Oil Swishing Forum, topic 1389478

"Lots of people have reported sore throat after beginning to OP. I'd say it's a fairly common detox reaction, especially at the beginning. I had it (I also had sinus congestion problems, with which OP has helped almost entirely! w/in a few weeks...) too. Many report cold or flu-like symptoms and that is "normal" around here. Part of your sinus congestion may be a low-level infection that sits around in your head cavities -- sinuses, around ears and throat -- and this could be "coming out" -- at some point you might want to add a few drops of the anti-microbial oil of oregano to treat this, although I would recommend waiting until you are OP'ing with no other strong detox symptoms like the sore throat you have now."

Source: Re: Sore throat after OP at Oil Pulling & Oil Swishing Forum, topic 1111314

(You will find a lot of similar stories from curezone.org).

"As a canker sore sufferer, I have just battled my worse outbreak ever. One after the other seemed to appear after having a cold for a few days. I have never been so miserable! Plus I get sinus congestion which triggers migraines every few weeks. I’m wondering if oil pulling would help canker sores heal quicker or even prevent them from happening. And do u know if oil pulling helps with migraines? I’m a bit nervous about the possible side effects of oil pulling. Are they common? Could I feel worse before I feel better? I’m very curious about the whole thing. I use coconut oil for many things but I must admit I had never heard of oil pulling so this is a first for me!"
Source: Oil Pulling With Coconut Oil
I've only found this site now:
15 Serious Side Effects Of Oil Pulling

I've also read this interesting comment:
"The coconut oil MUST BE from fresh non gmo orangic coconut not dried coconuts, Dried coconuts have mycotoxins which is NOT what you want. Mycotoxins are toxic mold. We bought organic virgin coconut oil I called the number on the bottle and asked if the coconut oil is made from fresh coconut and they told it was ,It is good know before you get to the store ." from Oil Pulling With Coconut Oil

Do you do oil pulling with refined coconut oil @Queequeg? I've been trying with it, and it seemed that I didn't have so much side effects. But I have not try it enough times with both virgin and refined to conclude something. I actually swallow a little the last time I did (even with refined) and it indeed gave some sensation like dry throat. So I don't know...
But what this guy said, made me thinking though: the other day I bought 4 coconuts from a supermarket. I opened all 4: only 1 was not rancid. The other 3 taste really bad. I then noticed the mold on their shell and it made sense. So, I really wonder how some companies do VCO now... Refined may indeed be the best option if there is not a good quality VCO available. There is also the allergic factor.

Nevertheless, there are also stories from people doing it with other oils (sesame, sunflower, olive oil) and have similar reactions... I just don't know...

I agree with you.
Geez, why all that aggressiveness? :(

And, I'm sorry, but I am also of the opinion that our skin has the ability so absorve the oil... I mean, everyone knows about the absorption of things underneath our tongue.

I was reading also people doing with sunflower oi: Question about detox symptoms at Oil Pulling & Oil Swishing Forum, topic 1999143
He/she also started to have high temperatures... I must be honest, I don't know that much about biochemistry, but my common sense tells me that high temperature could be all the inflammation increasing? I remember also Steve Fowkes saying that inflammation feels good because it makes our mind sharp and so on (hence the impressive blood flow?).
When I eat chicken legs with high (pufa) fat, it makes me really hot, but I also notice how sensible I am to pain too. Actually, I know when the hotness is coming from inflammation or not: something that did not used to give me pain, starts giving me. I become more sensible. Something hot is a good example: it feels like it is burning twice more.

If you can keep up, do it for 30 days straight. How are you doing it?
It seems the best way to do is 10-20 minutes in the morning on a empty stomach. First, clean your teeth and tongue before (I've read this somewhere. And I was like, why not?). Then do the oil pulling. Spit the oil into your garbage can or outdoors. Gargle with water (some say it's better with salty water or 1 tsp baking soda with water. I've only tried with salty water once. Never tried baking soda). And then, last but not least, brush your teeth (sometimes I brush me teeth, sometimes I don't.). This seems to be the "complete protocol" from what I've seen and read.

He may not be welcomed here, but

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals