Off Brown Sugar After 18 Years, Back To White Rice - Hooray!

yerrag

Last week. I tried eating white rice again regularly. I'm happy to say I no longer experience the quick need to eat again, nor the mid-day blues or sleepiness. Nor did I feel I'm going to get sick again with the soreness of my throat.

Brown rice has been good to me over the years. Those were years when I would easily get sick. My immunity improved after eating brown rice regularly. It helped that the fiber in the brown rice helped meter the release of glucose into the blood, such that I don't get a sugar high that eventually results in a sugar low because of the disproportionate insulin response.

I've always thought that brown rice is good, and white rice is bad. Until I read on Ray Peat. At first I thought Ray Peat must be an agent of the white rice industry, but I'm glad I didn't just brush him off as a crank and one of those health gurus with a lot of writing style without any substance. Still, I held on to my brown rice and would only eat white rice in the occasional restaurant meal, which I would say I look forward to enjoying.

But as I got to understand more about why my body didn't take well to white rice, I realized that the reasons for that no longer exist. I have been off PUFAs for already more than four years, yet I still cling to brown rice and the fiber that comes with it. No longer do I believe anymore that we need fiber for good peristalsis to help with bowel movements. So, I belatedly took the chance and give it a whirl.

I feel great! Off brown sugar, and enjoying the better tasting white rice! Also, I don't have to worry about making sure the brown rice is fresh, as the fibers could easily get molds in a humid climate.

Thank you Ray!

chrismeyers

Brown rice is neither good nor traditional. Go to countries like India and most of Asia who have been eating rice for thousands of years. Do you see any of their traditional food containing brown rice? There are virtually none. They learned over time like most cultures how to properly process grains for benefiting their health. This brown rice and whole grain wheat thing is a complete farce and nutritionally dangerous. If you dont process grains correctly, they have tons of anti nutrients like phytic acid that damage your health. Bread should be white, fermented properly, and that is traditional. Rice should be white.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

You have to understand the context. Brown rice helped me when I was having blood sugar control problems as a result of my body''s sugar metabolism being impaired by free fatty in my blood. This was a condition that resulted from eating PUFAs, which at that time I thought was healthful.

So if I were in that condition now, and I went by your thinking that brown rice is bad, I would not be helped at all by eating white rice.

The answer would be to wean myself from PUFAs, eat brown rice as I wean myself off PUFAs. Later on, I can eventually wean myself off brown to white rice.

Xisca

Off brown sugar, and enjoying the better tasting white rice! Also, I don't have to worry about making sure the brown rice is fresh
Do you mean brown rice in your title?

And I am very happy of your success!

Last edited:
OP
yerrag

yerrag

Xisca

I agree about fibers and sugar control, and the phytic acid binding.
I would always go half brown rice and not the full husky rice!
Or white, sure.
Just mean there are 3 choices and not 2.

For fibre, this is easily done with cooked veggies instead of wholemeal stuff.
I have the sugar problem, but also the gut problem that says "no" to fiber, fibrous fiber....
I no longer experience the quick need to eat again
I have this with carbs... Better if I put butter.
Now, soluble fibers can be fine and anyway better than the fibrous one, there should be another word, as fibre as a meaning close to rope!
The soluble fibre will mix to bilis and seems to have benefits.

I think I will try again a recipe that was fine to me some years ago, from ayurveda.
Heat the rice in a sauce pan then add some coconut oil and put some spices, the oil is meant to get the essential oil from spices, which is cardamome seed.
then put water and red lentils, that are "white", no husk at all. Add also a piece of kombu, as it helps digestion, plus all algae minerals it has of course.
If adding veggy, squash family is the most gut friendly.

Xisca

OP
yerrag

yerrag

no, no... just obsession for sugar.... :rolling
There is that. And also been thinking about my brown sugar intake.

Have been having thoughts about going back to white sugar. My brown sugar tastes a lot better, it's like candy with earthy tones. But since it's sugar without the molasses removed, it has plenty of iron. Going back to white sugar means not having that daily iron intake anymore. I'll also be removing a lot of b-vitamin intake as well. But removing iron is a more compelling reason to go back to white sugar. I can find the b-vitamins I lost from brown sugar (and brown rice as well) elsewhere such as in sweet potatoes.

Okay, I'm going to ditch brown sugar and go back to white. Will just finish up the remaining muscovado sugar I have.

Xisca

But since it's sugar without the molasses removed, it has plenty of iron.
Use it in your coffee!
I have seen children very skillful at filling a max of this brown sugar into a yogurt!
Finally I said: "put less, mix on top, eat, and then you will have more room!"
Why one or another, I love mid-ways.... Use both!
Same, I do not have only one type of rice. Try the half integral rice, it is almost white but more vitamines.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Use it in your coffee!
I have seen children very skillful at filling a max of this brown sugar into a yogurt!
Finally I said: "put less, mix on top, eat, and then you will have more room!"
Why one or another, I love mid-ways.... Use both!
Same, I do not have only one type of rice. Try the half integral rice, it is almost white but more vitamines.
Halfway is good. But I once had to give blood to lower my blood iron levels. Now I can't donate blood anymore because I have hypertension, and standard practice is for the screeners to refuse me. So, I have to keep my blood (and body) from getting high in iron.

Xisca

Coffee binds to iron, so that was the idea, but you might have to be more careful because of your context.

Richiebogie

I don't eat grains but eat a lot of fruit. I think the lack of phytates and loads of vitamin C make me extra sensitive to iron. Symptoms are bloodshot eyes, red rash under eyes, inflamed gum, bleeding gum...

I have cut back on eggs, beef, lamb and chocolate.

I need to do this despite drinking black coffee and black tea.

Brown rice is neither good nor traditional. Go to countries like India and most of Asia who have been eating rice for thousands of years. Do you see any of their traditional food containing brown rice? There are virtually none. They learned over time like most cultures how to properly process grains for benefiting their health. This brown rice and whole grain wheat thing is a complete farce and nutritionally dangerous. If you dont process grains correctly, they have tons of anti nutrients like phytic acid that damage your health. Bread should be white, fermented properly, and that is traditional. Rice should be white.
Good points about brown rice not in traditional cultures, and the anti-nutrient point of grains people are so unaware of. Grains take minerals from the body, not give. This is why teeth and bones are being weakened. I am using sprouted grains nowadays instead, which is more of a vegetable, Ray Peat said.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals