Odd: My Serum Creatinine Directly Correlated To Serum Albumin

yerrag

I'm trying to figure out why my serum creatinine goes up as my serum albumin goes up. Is it just me? Or does it apply to everyone? Maybe no one can answer that, as I just happen to have kept my blood test results over the years, and I got to compile some of them to study them.

Here's my data:

Creatinine and Albumin:

0.93 3.74
1.10 4.09
1.15 4.24
1.21 4.64
1.40 4.72

What I find odd here is that both of these markers are used for gauging kidney health. For creatinine, the lower the better as lower creatinine levels generally inform us that our kidneys are filtering at a high rate. The older we get, the higher the serum creatinine, as a general rule. For albumin, a higher value means that albumin isn't getting through the kidneys and being excreted. A healthy kidney won't excrete albumin.

It would be logical then to say that with a healthy kidney, creatinine levels would be low and albumin levels would be high. And with a sicker kidney, creatinine levels would be higher and albumin levels would be lower.

I have hypertension and I have microalbuminuria.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

It doesn't make sense, so I think it's just coincidence. Creatinine levels depend on protein intake as well as level of physical activity. And albumin levels depend on liver health.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I think the values are influenced heavily by blood volume. These values are both expressions of concentration - one of creatinine, the other of albumin, over a fixed volume of blood.

If blood volume is low, values go higher.

I'm not saying there are no other factors involved, as surely there is, but in my situation, they happen to be inversely correlated to my blood volume.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals