Occasional Boron Supplementation

olive

Turkish and Israeli soil are boron heavy. The dried apricots you can find at your local grocer probably come from those two regions - check the packaging for the origin. Eat a few for breakfast each day, they go well with coffee in my opinion. Avoid the yellow ones, they’ve been treated with sulphur to preserve the colour.

Nokoni

Thanks for sharing!

Are you not concerned of overdosing on boron? I know nothing of any toxic effects myself, but your dose seems to be more than 10x what I've seen sold as a supplement...
Not really. As @olive said, Israel and especially Turkey have very high levels of boron in their soil, so many that live there get a higher daily dose, just from food, than I do. They have very low levels of arthritis and no bad effects have been noticed. Also, I've read that the LD50 for boron is twice as high as it is for salt. Keep in mind that I don't know anything about other forms of boron supplements. It's possible that they might have some problems. I don't know enough chemistry to keep up, but in online discussions I've seen warnings about taking this or that particular form, but others arguing exactly the opposite. Borax seems safe to me.

koky

High exposure to borax (and boric acid) is believed to disrupt the body’s hormones. They may especially impair male reproduction, reducing sperm count and libido.

In one study, scientists found that rats fed borax experienced atrophy of their testes, or reproductive organs. In women, borax may reduce ovulation and fertility. In pregnant lab animals, high-level exposures to borax was found to cross the placenta border, harming fetal development and causing low birth weight.

just read this... ???

Nokoni

High exposure to borax (and boric acid) is believed to disrupt the body’s hormones. They may especially impair male reproduction, reducing sperm count and libido.

In one study, scientists found that rats fed borax experienced atrophy of their testes, or reproductive organs. In women, borax may reduce ovulation and fertility. In pregnant lab animals, high-level exposures to borax was found to cross the placenta border, harming fetal development and causing low birth weight.

just read this... ???
I think there may be something to this. Boron's effects on androgens and estrogen are pretty confusing. In several places I've seen it reported that they "normalize" both, but exactly what that means is not spelled out. And Haidut has strongly warned against it for being estrogenic. But I don't care on two counts. First, it is profoundly beneficial for bone and joint health, and among its other effects may be reduction in PTH and therefore calcium regulation, with consequent improvement in kidney function, calcification, and blood pressure. Second, I supplement with small doses of DHEA, pregnenolone, and androsterone. If I feel the need for more (which I haven't), I'll just take more.

OP
S

Sumbody

just read this... ???

I read this too, but it seems that the exposure levels that cause this are extremely high.

I came across this information on how boron was used to displace fluoride from the body. The amounts used here seemed very high, but with no ill effects?

“Boron effectively counteracts symptoms of fluoride intoxication in humans (Zhou et al. 1987) and in experimentally poisoned rabbits (Elsair et al. 1980a, 1980b, 1981). Men suffering from skeletal fluorosis experienced 50 to 80% improvement after drinking solutions containing 300 to 1,100 mg of borax/L daily, 3 weeks a month for 3 months (Zhou et al. 1987).

Inaut

i take boron in the form of borax 5 days a week, probably closer to 15mg a day.. my libido is pretty good. ill spare everyone the details but my lady friend appreciates me a lot..........There's another thread regarding boron use - There's nothing boring about boron on this forum and I've posted what @Travis had to say about it. I like taking it.

OP
S

Sumbody

i take boron in the form of borax 5 days a week, probably closer to 15mg a day.. my libido is pretty good. ill spare everyone the details but my lady friend appreciates me a lot..........There's another thread regarding boron use - There's nothing boring about boron on this forum and I've posted what @Travis had to say about it. I like taking it.

That is great! Yeah I posted that study/article above in my original post. I'm gonna peep that particular thread here on the fourm.

Just curious, do you take any breaks from it? Like cycling? Three weeks on, one week off, etc.?

Notice they did that in another study, but those amounts were 300-1,100 mg of borax daily.

Inaut

I don't take it on the weekends, so 5 days on 2 days off. Supposedly, unverified source from curezone (ted from Bangkok) said that it was enough time to flush out excess boron from the body.

D

danishispsychic

I take one boron cap and put in my am coffee. It kills candida and helps my joints. I try to take like a week off a month of it .... it is drying so drink water with it. It is also a great antiparsitic and goes will with coffee enemas.

Nokoni

Best brand/dosage everyone? Thanks for all your help!
I use 20 Mule Team Borax, roughly 60 mg per day. The cost is about 1.2 cents per week :):

Tarmander

Anyone noticed facial changes on taking Boron? If I stop taking it my face looks different...not sure if its more saggy but I get more compliments while on Boron then off.

Goobz

Not really. As @olive said, Israel and especially Turkey have very high levels of boron in their soil, so many that live there get a higher daily dose, just from food, than I do. They have very low levels of arthritis and no bad effects have been noticed. Also, I've read that the LD50 for boron is twice as high as it is for salt. Keep in mind that I don't know anything about other forms of boron supplements. It's possible that they might have some problems. I don't know enough chemistry to keep up, but in online discussions I've seen warnings about taking this or that particular form, but others arguing exactly the opposite. Borax seems safe to me.

Thanks for the response.

I'm not worried about it's estrogenic effects personally (in my case crashing estrogen via an AI led to many problems, so having it higher is probably a good thing for me anyway). But from what I've read, it increases the conversion of estrone (E1) to estradiol (E2), since the enzyme for that reaction has boron as a cofactor. Estrone is a weaker estrogen, so in that sense it could be "estrogenic." But estrone is the estrogen linked to the negative effects of HRT when taken orally, and the form linked with blood clotting. It's also the form thats high after menopause. I think having more E2 to E1 is a good thing, personally.

Goobz

Anyone noticed facial changes on taking Boron? If I stop taking it my face looks different...not sure if its more saggy but I get more compliments while on Boron then off.

I have seb derm and oily skin, and my facial skin has improved a lot recently since adding boron 3mg daily. Pores on my nose are much smaller, and the seb derm has improved a lot but hasn't gone completely.

However, I've also added various other things like zinc, biotin and Vitamin C on and off, so it's hard to pin point it exactly. I suspect the boron but can't say for sure.

Been taking 15mg of boric acid 2x/week since June. In October, high volume dumbbell French pressing finally started aggravated my elbows. Upped the supplementing frequency to daily and am pressing pain free again. No libido improvement unfortunately, but I don't seem to get as easily upset at humans when I take it.

@Peopleface I have noticed many of the same things but dismissed it because of it's purported estrogenic effects. But what’s interesting is that the regions of the world that consume the most boron have the least arthritis.

OP
S

Sumbody

@Peopleface I have noticed many of the same things but dismissed it because of it's purported estrogenic effects. But what’s interesting is that the regions of the world that consume the most boron have the least arthritis.

Yeah that is pretty fascinating! I have taken it off and on, (9-12mg Boron, yet to try Borax) but mostly for the subtle libido boosts I seem to get sometimes from it.

But since I have been taking it this week, I am noticing less joint pain and inflammation in the joints I typically have issues with. I have probably received these benefits from it in the past, but just never noticed.

There is definitely a reduction in inflammation, I'm surprised I never noticed that before.

My take on the hormonal changes is that this mineral seems to allow the body to better utilize and retain nutrients important to hormone production.

I believe the article above shows an increase in both testosterone and estrogen, as well as DHT, however estrogen levels remained within reference ranges. And while another study showed that E2 dropped significantly while free testosterone rose in healthy young males.

I personally don't think every little rise in libido is a direct result of rising estrogen. Ray has stated that significantly increased estrogen levels CAN cause hypersexuality. But this isn't always static as there are millions of men out there with sky high estrogen and zero libido/sexual function. And the same can be said for men/women with near perfect lab work.

I personally feel any hormone's sexual function is secondary to the brain and reliant on a complex cascade of enzymes, receptors, neurochemicals, etc. I just don't believe it's as simple as high test, low estrogen or visa versa.

Just my opinion and there's plenty of research and anecdotal evidence to illustrate those mysteries of the body.

But yeah... Boron is a very interesting mineral that needs much more study and attention.