Occasional Boron Supplementation

Dr. B

I live in the NorthEast US, and I get sun from about May to September, and do not use my Sperti, but the rest of the year I use it three times/week. This is pretty much an arbitrary decision since I do not test for D. I am a believer that the storage test for D does not reflect a person's true D status, anyway. It is like checking your fuel line in a car to see how much gas you have in the tank. The serum levels are not the place to test for a fat soluble hormone, which may be replete in tissue, but not in serum. Anyway, I do not think the Sperti needs to be used everyday, but it can be if desired.
what about applying d3 topically to the private area in men? is it useful? d3 in extra virgin olive oil

Dave Clark

what about applying d3 topically to the private area in men? is it useful? d3 in extra virgin olive oil
There are people who use D3 topically, although the % of absorption is less than oral use. Applying D3 topically, still circumvents the body's wisdom of making D as needed, if I am correct. I can't speak to what it would do applying it to the private parts, but topical use just really prevents issues with digestion and absorption of the D, I still think this secosteroid is better off being made by the body. Maybe someone else has used D3 on their privates and has an anecdote to offer.

Dr. B

There are people who use D3 topically, although the % of absorption is less than oral use. Applying D3 topically, still circumvents the body's wisdom of making D as needed, if I am correct. I can't speak to what it would do applying it to the private parts, but topical use just really prevents issues with digestion and absorption of the D, I still think this secosteroid is better off being made by the body. Maybe someone else has used D3 on their privates and has an anecdote to offer.
what about E, A and K2, do you not want to supplement any of those fat solubles?
selfhacked has an article about vitamin d3 boosting serotonin among other things. it definitely seems to cause an antimetabolic effect if I consistently use 5000 IU orally. twice a week is more tolerable. 10000 IU daily causes severe issues. this is all even while consuming 3000 to 5000 IU vitamin A daily from whole milk or sometimes liver or some cheese. so the A is all dietary, non fortified foods.

I have been thinking about supplementing just 1000 IU d3 orally, daily. it would be less risky than the 5000 IU at least.
i seemed to tolerate d3 fine when I was using 5000 IU D3 and 5000 IU A daily, in supplement form. with A being dietary form, it doesn't seem to work the same.

im not sure what causes D3 side effects. is it some sort of effect it has on vitamin A/K absorption or utilization? or just raising serotonin? also D3 has a sleepiness effect. I think some supplement brands or online articles say don't use D3 late in the day because it reduces melatonin levels and makes it harder to fall asleep. this is not the case for me, it actually makes it easier to fall asleep for me, and makes me sleep for a longer time easier. I thought it was because of D3 lowering cortisol that it causes this sleepiness effect but im thinking maybe it could be raising serotonin? I also got a sleepiness effect when I tried panera's new chicken sandwich months ago, which I assumed was related to the PUFA content. so I cant say whether D3 causing sleepiness, making it easier to fall asleep is a good thing.

this is what selfhacked says on it

Vitamin D helps the body make, release, and use serotonin, including in the brain. However, the benefits of supplementation are uncertain [15, 16].

Vitamin D activates an enzyme that converts tryptophan into serotonin. If vitamin D levels are low, our brains make less serotonin. Thus, increasing vitamin D intake may increase serotonin levels, thereby potentially supporting mental health [15, 16].

Dave Clark

what about E, A and K2, do you not want to supplement any of those fat solubles?
selfhacked has an article about vitamin d3 boosting serotonin among other things. it definitely seems to cause an antimetabolic effect if I consistently use 5000 IU orally. twice a week is more tolerable. 10000 IU daily causes severe issues. this is all even while consuming 3000 to 5000 IU vitamin A daily from whole milk or sometimes liver or some cheese. so the A is all dietary, non fortified foods.

I have been thinking about supplementing just 1000 IU d3 orally, daily. it would be less risky than the 5000 IU at least.
i seemed to tolerate d3 fine when I was using 5000 IU D3 and 5000 IU A daily, in supplement form. with A being dietary form, it doesn't seem to work the same.

im not sure what causes D3 side effects. is it some sort of effect it has on vitamin A/K absorption or utilization? or just raising serotonin? also D3 has a sleepiness effect. I think some supplement brands or online articles say don't use D3 late in the day because it reduces melatonin levels and makes it harder to fall asleep. this is not the case for me, it actually makes it easier to fall asleep for me, and makes me sleep for a longer time easier. I thought it was because of D3 lowering cortisol that it causes this sleepiness effect but im thinking maybe it could be raising serotonin? I also got a sleepiness effect when I tried panera's new chicken sandwich months ago, which I assumed was related to the PUFA content. so I cant say whether D3 causing sleepiness, making it easier to fall asleep is a good thing.

this is what selfhacked says on it

Vitamin D helps the body make, release, and use serotonin, including in the brain. However, the benefits of supplementation are uncertain [15, 16].

Vitamin D activates an enzyme that converts tryptophan into serotonin. If vitamin D levels are low, our brains make less serotonin. Thus, increasing vitamin D intake may increase serotonin levels, thereby potentially supporting mental health [15, 16].
I don't think anyone really questions the benefits of hormone D, but it is not a vitamin, the body can make it, and stores it very efficiently. I recommend you try checking out the FB group Secosteroid Hormone D, where you can get more information about the downfalls of oral D consumption. Obviously, not everyone agrees with this theory, but if you are inclined to, as many are, this group will help with the understanding of D.
I think the other fat soluble vitamins are not as problematic consuming orally. I think you could get enough A from grass-fed food, but I don't think we can get therapeutic doses of E from food, mainly because most food does not contain that much, and cooking will destroy some of it.
I used to take 7 K units of D/day, and I was no healthier, and even felt worse, than I am now getting my D from the sun or sun lamps. I am not a big Morley fan, but he may be right that high oral doses of D imbalance other things in the liver, etc. Oral D is shown to suppress auto-immune diseases, which tells me it dampens the immune system, great if you have auto-immune disease

Ben.

I don't think anyone really questions the benefits of hormone D, but it is not a vitamin, the body can make it, and stores it very efficiently. I recommend you try checking out the FB group Secosteroid Hormone D, where you can get more information about the downfalls of oral D consumption. Obviously, not everyone agrees with this theory, but if you are inclined to, as many are, this group will help with the understanding of D.
I think the other fat soluble vitamins are not as problematic consuming orally. I think you could get enough A from grass-fed food, but I don't think we can get therapeutic doses of E from food, mainly because most food does not contain that much, and cooking will destroy some of it.
I used to take 7 K units of D/day, and I was no healthier, and even felt worse, than I am now getting my D from the sun or sun lamps. I am not a big Morley fan, but he may be right that high oral doses of D imbalance other things in the liver, etc. Oral D is shown to suppress auto-immune diseases, which tells me it dampens the immune system, great if you have auto-immune disease

Well i turn temporary blind along with headache/pain after taking vitamin d ... It realy is a complex substance to say the least but it defeniately is not for me.

Dr. B

isnt vitamin E most prevalent in pufa foods like soybean oil. you dont need much vitamin E if you arent consuming pufa and dont have much stored PUFA? even if you do have stored PUFA, as long as you arent consuming more pufa, it could be safer taking a big dose vitamin E once a month or something?
the effects and side effects of anything, including iron, vitamin K2, vitamin A, b vitamins, are completely different if taken from food vs from supplements, even if the dosage is exactly the same. like 5000 IU vitamin A from retinyl palmitate is totally different than drinking non fortified whole milk or liver for it.
I get effects like joint pain and some face puffiness from vitamin E. its thornes molecularly distilled vitamin E, so im not sure if its an allergen or just some effect a large dosage of vitamin E itself has, or some depletionary effect on other nutrients rom supplementing it.

i have seen oral D said to suppress autoimmunity, but isnt that very toxic if its doing so via raising cortisol or serotonin? serotonin is the hibernation hormone so it would make sense it would strongly dampen the immune system. so anything immuno suppressing has potential to be raising cortisol or serotonin. D3 has reports of raising serotonin and, it also interferes with or affects vitamin A's absorption somehow. vitamin A is said to be anti cortisol. so if d3 is lowering or messing with A, it could raise cortisol indirectly.

i have opposing effects from oral d and sunlight. sunlight makes it hard or impossible to fall asleep. d3 orally makes it easier. despite warnings given in some articles about d3 being bad for sleep because it reduces melatonin, it makes it easier for me to sleep and sleep more hours, but also causes more fatigue and other issues.

Peater

My shoulder shoulder, which though not painful, has been very unstable, and out of position. It has been popping and feeling like it's sliding back into a better position in my back. It's mild so far, but significant I think. Travis' posts I mentioned talk about how borates kill the fungi in synovial fluid, and I suspect this. I haven't had any painful "die off" reactions, but then again I didn't have painful arthritis to start with
How is your shoulder doing these days mate? I hurt mine years ago, a scan diagnosed arthritis but not 'old person arthritis', more like scarring, I assumed I'd tweaked it at the gym. This fungi theory makes sense and gives a whole new aspect to the problem. I spent quite literally thousands on various physiotherapists.

I would be the happiest man alive if I could start weight lifting again.

GreenTrails

I get very good results with it. Had significant arthritis in both back and knees, and getting worse every year. Set the clock back on that at least a decade already, and I now expect it to continue to improve instead of continuing to degrade. My daughter has a congenital condition affecting her back and she's now, mercifully, pain free. It's miraculous. Could have saved myself a ton of pain and physical limitations if only I'd known about it sooner.
I have arthritis in my hands, and I also have osteoporosis. About 6 months ago I started putting about 80 mg. of Borax in 1 qt. of my drinking water. It has definitely helped. My hands were getting progressively worse, but now they are better than they were. They'll probably never be like they were when I was younger, but they are not getting worse. I can close my fists easier than I could before. For me, this is working.

Nokoni

I have arthritis in my hands, and I also have osteoporosis. About 6 months ago I started putting about 80 mg. of Borax in 1 qt. of my drinking water. It has definitely helped. My hands were getting progressively worse, but now they are better than they were. They'll probably never be like they were when I was younger, but they are not getting worse. I can close my fists easier than I could before. For me, this is working.
Very glad to hear you are getting good results. You might also like to try Defibron. I find it to be an exceptional anti-inflammatory. As a topical, everywhere I put it I've gotten notable improvements. For example, I formerly had to help myself up the stairs using the banisters (knee pain), but now I don't use them at all.

GreenTrails

Very glad to hear you are getting good results. You might also like to try Defibron. I find it to be an exceptional anti-inflammatory. As a topical, everywhere I put it I've gotten notable improvements. For example, I formerly had to help myself up the stairs using the banisters (knee pain), but now I don't use them at all.
So, this is a topical product, like a lotion? Would this work once a day, like before bedtime, or do you apply it more than once per day?

Nokoni

So, this is a topical product, like a lotion? Would this work once a day, like before bedtime, or do you apply it more than once per day?
It's from IdeaLabs and all their products are formulated to be effective topically. It's a somewhat viscous liquid that comes in a little plastic bottle designed to be upended and administered by the drop. Three drops on each knee once a day has done wonders. I also apply it elsewhere on my body and take some of it orally too, although if you use a significant amount, as I do, you might prefer to take it earlier in the day. You can read all about it here: DeFibron - Liquid Methylated SFA For Lab/R&D

Dr. B

It's from IdeaLabs and all their products are formulated to be effective topically. It's a somewhat viscous liquid that comes in a little plastic bottle designed to be upended and administered by the drop. Three drops on each knee once a day has done wonders. I also apply it elsewhere on my body and take some of it orally too, although if you use a significant amount, as I do, you might prefer to take it earlier in the day. You can read all about it here: DeFibron - Liquid Methylated SFA For Lab/R&D
What does it do if you take it orally? Btw doesn’t it also contain vitamin E

Nokoni

What does it do if you take it orally?
The research for it is ridiculously positive. Check out the research in Haidut's thread. That was from 6 years ago. Go to PubMed and find even more (under methyl palmitate) that is more recent. From reading some of the studies I got the impression that even the researchers were kind of amazed with the results they were getting. You don't find that very often in research papers. It's almost like it pretty much cures what ails ya. In the thread somewhere I think I remember Haidut saying that most of the studies used oral dosing. So it would seem to be doing lots of good in lots of different ways.

Anyhow, after many positive experiments putting it here and there, I even decided to give it a try with my prostate issues. (I'm old.) I put it different places in my crotch area, front and back, and yeah, got noticeable improvement. It diffused quite far through the tissues to reach the prostate. (Oral didn't fix that for me, btw.) Not the porcelain marksman of years past maybe, at least not yet, but way better than the dribbles that were becoming increasingly common. And yeah, it contains tocopherols and MCT.

Peater

Thanks for this, I only just checked back to the thread. I know you weren't replying to me but I've never tried Defibron although I recognise the name.

Nokoni

Thanks for this, I only just checked back to the thread. I know you weren't replying to me but I've never tried Defibron although I recognise the name.
I see from above you've had shoulder issues. That's one of the places I'm getting benefit from Defibron. Really didn't expect much but it's been really good to me. Definitely worth a shot for you.

Peater

I see from above you've had shoulder issues. That's one of the places I'm getting benefit from Defibron. Really didn't expect much but it's been really good to me. Definitely worth a shot for you.
Thanks mate!