Observations Of Paul Chek And His Philosophy

Herbie

After observing Paul Chek for a few years now and doing some of his courses and experimenting with his philospohies there are a few things that concern me..

He teaches program of dvds called healing parasite and fungal infestations based on Doug Kauffman's diet and a rotation diet to combat fungal infestations and food intolerances in his holistic lifestyle coach course. He admits himself on his blog that he has an incurable fungal infestation and says he is intolerant to beef, dairy, gluten, sugar and chocolate and uses fasting to alleviate digestive issues.

From what I have observed and experienced by doing HLC1 the prerequisites for exercise coach and PPS lesson 1 and 4 months of lecturing at the Chek Institute is that if your a good student you will follow his philosophy with great discipline like I did you believe the white sugar, white flour, white salt and pasteurised dairy are the four white devils and they are to be demonised and avoided. That processed food and drink will kill you and everything you eat has to be certified organic and that you probably have a parasite and fungal infestation and you need to do a cleanse twice a year for 4-8 weeks but if you have a bad infestation like Paul Chek you need to stay on it for 18 months.

This is just my opinion based on my experiences at this stage from what I've learnt from Ray Peat I suspect that if someone was to follow the philosophies of Paul Chek and Doug Kauffman that it may well create the perfect environment for bacteria growth to move up into the small intestine in search of sugars, for the thyroid to shut down, increase endotoxin, oestrogen, cortisol, adrenalin and serotonin due to the diet and invite fungus's and parasite's to infest the organism.

I look back and I've learnt a lot from these experiences and learnt to think more critically, question everything, remain sceptical, open minded and be more observant.

Greg says

Paul has a massive library and has read tons of books on health. Yet he has never quoted RP once. There are a lot of other health experts who also haven't mentioned RP. I find this suspicious. Even if you don't agree with RP there most be something he has said that you would have found of interest (?) How could you not find RP interesting? Maybe Paul Chek is 'on the back of a tiger'?

Somewhere on the net I saw Paul give a statement about RP because so many 'Chekkies' were questioning Paul about him.

I've done a couple of expensive courses [Exercise coach and HLC) and found it difficult to apply in real life to make money. My health has never been better since consuming the 4 white devils.

OP
Herbie

Herbie

Paul has a massive library and has read tons of books on health. Yet he has never quoted RP once. There are a lot of other health experts who also haven't mentioned RP. I find this suspicious. Even if you don't agree with RP there most be something he has said that you would have found of interest (?) How could you not find RP interesting? Maybe Paul Chek is 'on the back of a tiger'?

Somewhere on the net I saw Paul give a statement about RP because so many 'Chekkies' were questioning Paul about him.

I've done a couple of expensive courses [Exercise coach and HLC) and found it difficult to apply in real life to make money. My health has never been better since consuming the 4 white devils.

Hi Greg,

Ive seen those photos of his library, Ive read on his blog that he's read over 1000 books on spirituality so perhaps thats what is library is mainly consisting on that subject.

I read that article on the Chek institute website. I found it interesting that so many Chek practitioners have come across Ray's work, Im assuming from Josh Rubin and its got to the point where he had to address this on the website.

I was a personal trainer attempting to increase my knowledge and skill base to provide better solutions and services to clientele and build a stronger reputation.

As soon as I listened to the East West Healing, Ray Peat on milk I drank half a gallon a day from then on I had such a thirst for it.

billycraig

Think that statement came due to a thread on the CHEK Facebook page. I was involved in a pretty long debate on there, initially stating that from my studies with Paul (I had completed NLC 1, 2 and 3 plus exercise coach and some Practitioner Levels) that NLC (later rebranded as HLC was taught to me as a foundation, and that we were encouraged to research and implement other modalities.

I said I still found a great deal useful/interesting but had dumped Metabolic Typing and other aspects, as it ruined my health. The only reason it hasn't done similar to clients was due to it being overly complicated and they didn't adhere to it.

My poor results were attributed to my lack of 80:20 MT which came as a shock. For a diet sold on the premise of health, it's certainly worrying to be told that you shouldn't follow it strictly. Ray was discussed as unscientific by high ranking faculty (notably some frequent posters kept out of it) yet Paul's myths and MT didn't need evidence as Gentics and Evolution...we haven't changed and we know what Paleoithic man ate was deemed gold standard.

I'd been on the verge of not paying my bi-annual fees for a while, the statement from Vidiya and then Paul made the decision really easy. Quite ironic that a proper CHEK practitioner would not vere from the training into Ray's work, but Purium (a vegan organic Herbalife style MLM) is being promoted by several high profile practitioners with no issue, and fasting now seems popular whereas I remember Paul decrying it as unsafe and unnecessary.

Sad for them really, I think marketing has led to the whole institute being on the back of a tiger. My notes from back then mentioned Broada Barnes, and Dr, Oliver also mentioned Ray during a break when we chatted privately. If they'd moved with the times things could of developed an interesting way. Quite radical back in the day (for someone from the UK anyway).

Greg says

Interesting Billy... I can't believe Ray was seen as unscientific. It's strange that there are people whom I use to follow like Paul, Chris Kresser, Doug Koufmann, Sean Croxton etc. that don't mention Ray. I think they do Functional Diagnostic Nutrition and Metabolic Typing. I would be intereseted to know what their opinion is. I guess it's easier to write him off than actually delve into his work.

I remember the CHEK instruction DVDs being of an old school 90's vibe. I was really put off by the bi-annual fees and heavy marketing. It was an expensive course to be on and I found it complicated to apply. I worked in a couple gyms that were not interested in his methods. Some of it was good though, the physical stuff I learnt some things but not the nutrition philosophy. I recently sold all my CHEK equipment.

Josh Rubin was really highly ranked by CHEK and was surprised when he 'got off the tiger'.

OP
Herbie

Herbie

Think that statement came due to a thread on the CHEK Facebook page. I was involved in a pretty long debate on there, initially stating that from my studies with Paul (I had completed NLC 1, 2 and 3 plus exercise coach and some Practitioner Levels) that NLC (later rebranded as HLC was taught to me as a foundation, and that we were encouraged to research and implement other modalities.

I said I still found a great deal useful/interesting but had dumped Metabolic Typing and other aspects, as it ruined my health. The only reason it hasn't done similar to clients was due to it being overly complicated and they didn't adhere to it.

My poor results were attributed to my lack of 80:20 MT which came as a shock. For a diet sold on the premise of health, it's certainly worrying to be told that you shouldn't follow it strictly. Ray was discussed as unscientific by high ranking faculty (notably some frequent posters kept out of it) yet Paul's myths and MT didn't need evidence as Gentics and Evolution...we haven't changed and we know what Paleoithic man ate was deemed gold standard.

I'd been on the verge of not paying my bi-annual fees for a while, the statement from Vidiya and then Paul made the decision really easy. Quite ironic that a proper CHEK practitioner would not vere from the training into Ray's work, but Purium (a vegan organic Herbalife style MLM) is being promoted by several high profile practitioners with no issue, and fasting now seems popular whereas I remember Paul decrying it as unsafe and unnecessary.

Sad for them really, I think marketing has led to the whole institute being on the back of a tiger. My notes from back then mentioned Broada Barnes, and Dr, Oliver also mentioned Ray during a break when we chatted privately. If they'd moved with the times things could of developed an interesting way. Quite radical back in the day (for someone from the UK anyway).

It some great information and was a step up at the time from what I was being taught and opened me up to new concepts. The metabolic typing is taught 'listen to your body' but stay within these boundaries.

Interesting Ray is discussed as unscientific.

I lost respect for Troy Casey when he started pushing Purium and saw Vidiya involved with it, He talks about saving The Amazon but sells and drinks from cheap plastic bottles.

It would have been interesting if the institute was more dynamic.

You only have to watch JP Sears's ultra spiritual videos to get an idea of how he experienced Paul.

"Misery loves company"

OP
Herbie

Herbie

Its
Interesting Billy... I can't believe Ray was seen as unscientific. It's strange that there are people whom I use to follow like Paul, Chris Kresser, Doug Koufmann, Sean Croxton etc. that don't mention Ray. I think they do Functional Diagnostic Nutrition and Metabolic Typing. I would be intereseted to know what their opinion is. I guess it's easier to write him off than actually delve into his work.

I remember the CHEK instruction DVDs being of an old school 90's vibe. I was really put off by the bi-annual fees and heavy marketing. It was an expensive course to be on and I found it complicated to apply. I worked in a couple gyms that were not interested in his methods. Some of it was good though, the physical stuff I learnt some things but not the nutrition philosophy. I recently sold all my CHEK equipment.

Josh Rubin was really highly ranked by CHEK and was surprised when he 'got off the tiger'.

Its much easier to right Ray off then listen to a 100 hours of podcasts, learn to read and understand scientific literature, perfect the art of making ice-cream, gain a deeper understanding of how the body works, experiment and be mindful with your body and change and adapt.

Ive got those DVDs and find that they are useful. It reminds me of scientology, the higher you move up the ladder, the more crazy it gets.

Ideonaut

"he's read over 1000 books on spirituality"

A person'd have to be a real heavy-duty flake to read 1000 books on spirituality.

Oppervis

Purium Reviews – Shed Those Pounds & Detoxify Your Body

Greg you have a great insights on this topic.

Beastmode

I know a former CHEK teacher who gave Paul Chek a printout of all his articles. According to my colleague Paul loved them.

Maybe he loved his way of writing and researching more than the conclusions drawn.

Hugh Johnson

Billy Craig was I think a trainer who followed those guidelines strictly. It ended up being destructive and the chek people told him you are not supposed to follow them that well.

OP
Herbie

Herbie

I know a former CHEK teacher who gave Paul Chek a printout of all his articles. According to my colleague Paul loved them.

Maybe he loved his way of writing and researching more than the conclusions drawn.

Paul and Ray have the same sentiments regarding the goverment, military, food and drug indistries and medical industry.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals