Observations from using a continuous glucose monitor - Jessie Inchauspé

OP
David PS

David PS

Jessie's comments:
Some tme ago, the team at @zoe and @tim.spector just published a new study about sleep and glucose.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
They show that poor sleep leads to bigger glucose spikes the next day - when our body is tired it doesn't regulate things as well.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I've personally found that if I don't sleep well, doing 10 minutes of high intensity exercise in the morning helps my body's glucose regulation. And sleep is very important to me – I try to be in bed and lights out by 10:30 p.m. ❤️

1661941181291.png

Conclusions/interpretation​

Poor sleep efficiency and later bedtime routines are associated with more pronounced postprandial glycaemic responses to breakfast the following morning. A person’s deviation from their usual sleep pattern was also associated with poorer postprandial glycaemic control. These findings underscore sleep as a modifiable, non-pharmacological therapeutic target for the optimal regulation of human metabolic health.

OP
David PS

David PS

1661986667014.png

OP
David PS

David PS

OP
David PS

David PS

Verified​

Jessie's comments:
If you want something that doesn’t produce glucose spikes?

The best options to add sweetness without having glucose peaks:
👉Whole fruit, especially berries
👉Spices such as cinnamon or licorice root
👉Alulosa
👉Monk fruit
👉Stevia
👉Eritritol
Avoid Aspart master, Maltiol, Sucralosa, Acesulfamato-K, because some studies show that they can impact our levels of glucose and insulin.
1662028477694.png

OP
David PS

David PS

Jessie's comments:
Acne and Glucose
Raise your hand if you wish you knew this at school: Sugary and starchy foods can trigger a reaction that can show up as acne on your face and body and even make your skin red.
This is because many dermatological conditions (including eczema and psoriasis) are caused by inflammation, a consequence of glucose spikes.
When we eat in a way that flattens our glucose curve, acne goes away, pimples get smaller, and inflammation goes down.
In a study of men between the ages of 15 and 25, the diet that kept the glucose curves more stable resulted in a significant reduction in acne compared to the diet that caused glucose spikes (interestingly, improvements were recorded even without reducing other foods that are known to cause acne, like dairy products).

Diet and acne: A systematic review

Results​

The literature search yielded 410 articles, of which 34 articles met the inclusion criteria. The literature on whether dairy product intake is associated with acnegenesis is mixed and may be dependent on sex, ethnicity, and cultural dietary habits. High glycemic index and increased daily glycemic load intake were positively associated with acnegenesis and acne severity, an observation supported by randomized controlled trials.
BMI and Fasting blood glucose in Acne vulgaris

OP
David PS

David PS

Jessie's comments:
❤️ Most store-bought kombucha have fruit juice added to them after the fermentation process. So be careful. And they all say "no added sugar" but they've added fruit juice.
🔥 If you love store-bought kombucha, enjoy it maybe on a walk, or after a meal - that will help steady your glucose.
👉 If you can, make your own at home!
s:
1662209704430.png

OP
David PS

David PS

Jessie's comments:
Two hacks here: veggie starter and vinegar! Same pleasure from the cheeseburger and fries, less impact on our body! ❤️💃

Ps: this wasn’t the McDonald’s vinegar sauce (it has sugar in it.) It was my own vinegar and olive oil dressing.

1662384155960.png

OP
David PS

David PS

1662479759701.png

OP
David PS

David PS

Jessie;s comments:

Most açaí bowls will lead to a glucose spike.

If you want to lower the spike:
👉 don’t add extra sugar/honey/agave syrup
👉 add some extra protein and fiber, which can be through nuts or anything else ☺️

1662479959652.png

OP
David PS

David PS

1662559464122.png

1662559568002.png

1662594944861.png

1662595080984.png

yerrag

These are all very useful observations.

When I had really bad blood sugar regulation problems, I find it helpful to make changes to what I eat. Then, I found brown rice solves the problems I had with white rice. And I would tell everyone that they must eat brown rice.

I don't know about Jessie, but I hope she understands that her context is not everyone's.

When I went cold turkey on PUFA, I stopped telling people to eat brown rice and went on an apology tour after about four years.

Getting rid of PUFA changed the way my body handles sugar. And when I went back to eating white rice, it didn't make a difference anymore to eating brown rice except that I enjoy my meals more.

I can easily eat sugar without any other macros to accompany it, and I feel fine. When before my blood sugar levels would crash.

I'd rather fix myself of my blood sugar issues than have to live by so many rules that may or may not apply to me.

OP
David PS

David PS

I'd rather fix myself of my blood sugar issues than have to live by so many rules that may or may not apply to me.
I do think about these as rules but rather as general guidelines or techniques that one can use. Here they are again.
1. Meal eating order: first non starchy vegetables, then protein and fat, last carbs, starchy vegetables and sugars (desert)

2. One tablespoon of vinegar (apple cider, white wine, rice...) diluted in a tall glass of water, up to 30min before a meal

3. Have a savory breakfast (best mix of protein, healthy fat, fiber)

4. Use your muscles for at least 10min after a meal (a walk, cleaning the house, walking up the stairs, dancing, squats...)

5. Never eat a carb or desert on an empty stomach, leave it for the end of a well balanced meal and/or drink 1 tablespoon of diluted vinegar in water before eating it and/or use your muscles for at least 10min after you've ate it.

6. No naked carbs/sugars, put some clothes on them - pair it with some protein, healthy fat and/or fiber ( e.g. chocolate cake with some Greek yogurt, piece of sourdough with some avocado or butter, rice with some eggs or salmon or greens, cookie with 10 raw almonds...)

7. Eat whole fruits, no juices (even if it's mixed with some vegetables)

8. Avoid dried fruits, oat milk, coconut water, rice cakes (treat them all as a dessert)

9. Well balanced smoothies (PHFF) with no fruits or very little fruit (best berries)

10. Better choices: Sourdough over white bread, steel cut oats over oatmeal, starchy vegetables over white bread/pasta...

11. Grapes, pineapple, banana - higher fructose levels, always put clothes on them or eat as dessert

12. Eat more healthy fats - avocados, avocado oil, olive oil, fish...

13. Stress and poor/lack of sleep spikes glucose levels and the body's ability to properly function

14. If you wake up tired, eat savory breakfast, 10min high intensity workout shortly after you wake up, then coffee or just skip coffee, to feel better and reset your body

OP
David PS

David PS

jessie's comments:
🧬 Glucose hack: add a starter of veggies to all of your meals.

🥕 Any veggies work to flatten your glucose curves! Here i'm using carrots and hummus as a starter.
1662738572720.png

yerrag

I do think about these as rules but rather as general guidelines or techniques that one can use. Here they are again.
1. Meal eating order: first non starchy vegetables, then protein and fat, last carbs, starchy vegetables and sugars (desert)

2. One tablespoon of vinegar (apple cider, white wine, rice...) diluted in a tall glass of water, up to 30min before a meal

3. Have a savory breakfast (best mix of protein, healthy fat, fiber)

4. Use your muscles for at least 10min after a meal (a walk, cleaning the house, walking up the stairs, dancing, squats...)

5. Never eat a carb or desert on an empty stomach, leave it for the end of a well balanced meal and/or drink 1 tablespoon of diluted vinegar in water before eating it and/or use your muscles for at least 10min after you've ate it.

6. No naked carbs/sugars, put some clothes on them - pair it with some protein, healthy fat and/or fiber ( e.g. chocolate cake with some Greek yogurt, piece of sourdough with some avocado or butter, rice with some eggs or salmon or greens, cookie with 10 raw almonds...)

7. Eat whole fruits, no juices (even if it's mixed with some vegetables)

8. Avoid dried fruits, oat milk, coconut water, rice cakes (treat them all as a dessert)

9. Well balanced smoothies (PHFF) with no fruits or very little fruit (best berries)

10. Better choices: Sourdough over white bread, steel cut oats over oatmeal, starchy vegetables over white bread/pasta...

11. Grapes, pineapple, banana - higher fructose levels, always put clothes on them or eat as dessert

12. Eat more healthy fats - avocados, avocado oil, olive oil, fish...

13. Stress and poor/lack of sleep spikes glucose levels and the body's ability to properly function

14. If you wake up tired, eat savory breakfast, 10min high intensity workout shortly after you wake up, then coffee or just skip coffee, to feel better and reset your body

Yes, they are guidelines. And yes, they are helpful.

But what I'm saying is that these are Jessie's way of adapting her food lifestyle to her context of poor sugar control.

As I gave my example of eating brown rice in place of white rice, as my way of adapting my food lifestyle to my poor blood sugar regulation.

With my former poor blood sugar regulation, all the guidelines Jessie gives would have been just as helpful as eating brown rice.

But the guidelines are as good as a doctor telling us we need more exercise because we are overweight. The doctor isn't telling us anything about improving our sugar metabolism.

As I have come a long way from having poor blood sugar control and my blood sugar regulation is now much, much better, though it isn't optimal, I, for example, can take naked carbs, like even eating a tbsp of table sugar, and feel nothing bad. Sure, there could be a spike, but as long as that spike doesn't lead to a crash, but just to a blood sugar level that is within the healthy limits, and doesn't lead to any stress (such as adrenaline and cortisol hormone production or a shortfall in T3 production), that spike in itself would be immaterial to me.

OP
David PS

David PS

Jessie's comments:
👉 Sourdough bread is fermented, and during fermentation, some of the glucose in the flour is metabolized. The consequence is that sourdough bread is better for our glucose levels than regular, white bread!

1662833749711.png

OP
David PS

David PS

OP
David PS

David PS

Jessie's comments:
Going to eat some starches? (Rice, bread, potatoes, pasta... which all turn to glucose)
👉Don't have them alone.

🐸Add some fat, protein, or fiber, to reduce the glucose spike of your delicious dish. Some ideas: avocado, cheese, nuts, vegetables, salad, fish, meat, olive oil, nut butter, beans... 💖
1663064377422.png

OP
David PS

David PS

Jessie's comments:
What are your favourite clothes for your carbs?? ❤️❤️❤️
1663065156582.png

OP
David PS

David PS

Jessie's comments:

How to choose popcorn for steady glucose:

👉 Avoid caramel and other syrups
👉 Go for plain, with some coconut oil, cheese, or salt !
1663329695050.png

OP
David PS

David PS

Jessie's comments:

❤️ Add a veggie starter to any carbs you eat ! Super amazing way to keep your glucose steadier and avoid cravings and energy slumps later on.

1663413664220.png