Observation Study: Milk Intake Correlated To Inflammatory Markers

lindsay

Found it!! Here it is - pretty much the best real life study that I've ever seen for advocating raw milk over pasteurized milk:

https://thebovine.wordpress.com/2010/06 ... steurized/

It makes me sad to see that the calves were killed so young though..... but it would make a fantastic study on a larger level with more cows. I really think raw milk is superior to pasteurized and now I feel motivated to stop being lazy and make the drive to the farm I used to buy raw milk from.....

Jennifer

We were talking about this study in another thread over the weekend.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=5104

I question the validity of the study given the way it was conducted.

One thing I notice with raw milk is I digest it much better and my skin softens up within days of consuming it. I was doing pasteurized, but switched back to raw milk this past week and sure enough, despite the weather becoming drier, my skin is softening up.

I add a couple tablespoons of maple syrup and it's like drinking ice cream. Maple milk is delicious!

lindsay

Jennifer said:
One thing I notice with raw milk is I digest it much better and my skin softens up within days of consuming it. I was doing pasteurized, but switched back to raw milk this past week and sure enough, despite the weather becoming drier, my skin is softening up.

I add a couple tablespoons of maple syrup and it's like drinking ice cream. Maple milk is delicious!

I LOVE maple milk!! So tasty :)

BingDing

I agree with lindsay and Jennifer.Realmilk has got a lot of good information. And they have a state by state raw milk finder. I spent a week in CA recently and had raw milk for the whole trip!

A Campaign for Real Milk was founded in 1999 by Sally Fallon Morell, with the launch of realmilk.com. In February 2000, the Weston A. Price Foundation board of directors adopted A Campaign for Real Milk as a project of the Weston A. Price Foundation.

Since the founding of A Campaign for Real Milk in 1999, the number of raw milk drinkers in the US has grown from just a few hundred thousand to nearly ten million, and sources of raw milk have likewise proliferated, from just a few dozen to hundreds of small, pasture-based farms. As consumption of raw milk becomes more and more widespread, resistance on the part of medical agencies and government officials can only fade, the numbers of small, family farms will increase, and children will once again enjoy robust, vibrant health.

Bolding mine

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Hmmmm I use to get raw milk but the lady jacked up the prices so much. Maybe if I get a gallon every now and then it might help.

lindsay

Charlie said:
Hmmmm I use to get raw milk but the lady jacked up the prices so much. Maybe if I get a gallon every now and then it might help.

I am lucky in that the farm I buy from sells their raw milk cheaper than what I pay for good pasteurized milk at the store. It's only like $6 per gallon.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Well she use to charge me $5 because I bought a lot of milk from her. The regular price was $6. Now, she charges $8 to everybody because she downsized her herd and stopped selling to the local grocery store. ugggh

HDD

It is $9 a gallon here at the farmers market or $9 a half gallon if I want the convenience of it being 10 minutes away. My sons drink at least a gallon a day so it is not an option for us. :(

pepsi

Ray Peat talks about this in "Calcium and Disease".

The study states "...a positive association was seen between milk intake and both urine 8-iso-PGF2α (a biomarker of oxidative stress) and serum interleukin 6 (a main inflammatory biomarker).". http://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g6015

Ray Peat states "....A deficiency of either calcium or magnesium can stimulate the parathyroid glands to produce more hormone (parathyroid hormone, PTH), which increases calcium absorption, but also removes calcium from the bones. This hormone, responding to a dietary calcium or magnesium deficiency, is an important factor in causing cells to take up too much calcium, and its excess is associated with many inflammatory and degenerative diseases. Interleukin-6 (IL-6), an inflammatory cytokine which increases with aging, is commonly considered to have an important role in the multiple processes of atrophy in old age. One of the things which can increase the production of IL-6 is the parathyroid hormone (PTH), which increases the amount of calcium circulating in the blood, partly by causing it to be removed from the bones; IL-6 stimulates the process of calcium removal from bones. "

Sounds like the people in the study might have major magnesium deficiency according to Dr. Peat. Or low sodium intake. Does this study provide all the foods the people ate so we can see the whole picture?

Ray Peats remedy "....Simply eating an adequate amount of calcium and magnesium can alleviate many problems related to stress and aging that are considered serious, such as heart arrhythmia, pancreatitis, and tissue calcification.A diet of milk and fruit, or milk and meat, provides a nutritional balance with generous amounts of calcium and magnesium. Since a very low sodium diet increases the loss of magnesium, by increasing aldosterone synthesis, simply increasing the amount of sodium in the diet can help some people to balance their minerals and minimize stress.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
^Excellent post, christina.

lindsay

Yes, magnesium is necessary to balance calcium, but so is K2. In fact, all of the fat soluble vitamins and alkaline minerals are very important to overall health. I think this is one of the problems for people who don't seek out a well rounded diet. Just adding in certain things like more K2 and magnesium made a big difference in my ability to handle calcium. K2 was quite profound - my teeth and tooth enamel are very strong these days.

But it still is better in those regards than meat, for example.

Filip1993

Kasper said:
Correct me if in wrong, but isnt all milk in Sweden fortified with vitamin A. I heard Danny Roddy saying that he has problems with milk that is fortified with vitamin A, maybe this depletes vitamin D? Or maybe this is some kind of synthetic vitamin that is not good for the body?

You can buy whole milk without added vitamins in Sweden.

tara

Another possible factor: Burtlancast has drawn attention to the A1 vs A2 differences in milk proteins. There are contentions that A1 milk proteins have a bunch of problematic effects for some people, which A2 proteins don't seem to have. I haven't investigated this in any depth, but maybe there is something in it. Don't know what kind predominates in Sweden.

tara

Assuming this is referring to the same study as the other thread, it looks like they did control for some relevant factors in their analysis. But I don't see magnesium or K2 in there, unless its somehow included in their 'healthy dietary pattern'. I didn't look it up, but I would guess theitr standard would differ from ours. Still, they might include fruits and veges that have a bit of magnesium. Wouldn't surprise me if this is generally a bit low.

We used the directed acyclic graph approach44 to select suitable covariates for the multivariable model (see supplementary appendix figure A). The model included age, total energy intake, body mass index, height (all continuous), educational level (≤9, 10-12, >12 years, other), living alone (yes/no), calcium supplementation (yes/no), vitamin D supplementation (yes/no), ever use of cortisone (yes/no), a healthy dietary pattern, as previously described45 (continuous), physical activity (five categories), smoking status (never, former, current), and the Charlson comorbidity index (continuous, 1-16). We included other potential covariates such as menopausal status; hormone replacement therapy; intakes of calcium, vitamin D, total fat, saturated fat, retinol, alcohol, potassium, phosphorus, and protein; parity; and previous fracture of any type (the last when analysing hip fracture as an outcome, in a second multivariable model to assess whether these covariates confounded or mediated potential associations).

Jennifer

They actually address some of the factors that we've questioned. Just hit the "responses" tab and you'll see the questions and answers.

BingDing

I'd assume that a "healthy dietary pattern" would include grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, most of the estrogenic, goitrogenic, antimetabolic foods that we avoid, and a salt restricted diet. The widespread nutrient deficiencies are typically chronic. A lifetime's exposure to all the environmental toxins that reduce defenses against inflammation and oxidative stress. Galactose is about the last thing I'm worried about.

An irrelevant factoid, galactose was once called cerebrose, brain sugar.

tara

BingDing said:
An irrelevant factoid, galactose was once called cerebrose, brain sugar.
That's interesting - do you know the background?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals