Oatmeal Is It Ok?

DaveFoster

Yeah; it's better than nothing. Not optimal.

Edit: Gong off of hamster, I'll add that I don't tolerate oatmeal at all, neither potatoes. Even rice doesn't sit well with me, but wheat flour (gluten-free ideally) seems to digest the easiest.

Last edited:

keith

I love it, but notice I don't feel well digestively if I eat it often, and also notice some slight depression symptoms, which I assume is serotonin related, but not sure. It definitely causes some digestive distress for me. If you don't react badly to it, it might be fine. White rice with similar flavorings (maybe maple, cinnamon, vanilla, etc) might be easier to digest, and might be similar in taste and provide the filling, starchy, comfort feel. I would try to pay attention to how it makes you feel (oatmeal and rice and anything else), especially after a few days/weeks without, to better judge how it works for you. We're all different; some do very well with starches, including oatmeal; others do not. Hard for any of us to tell you what might work for you. We can tell you what works for us, and what we think might work for you, which might help guide you, but I have found it helps me to try to focus on how foods make me feel (physically, emotionally, intellectually, etc) more than on how other forum members or even RP think I should eat. I have also found RP is usually on the right track, but I think he would be the first to tell you that if something he recommends isn't working, then don't do it. He once listed oatmeal among the least bad starches, but not sure when that was, or if he changed his mind, but I think it was third after masa harina and white rice; I don't think he suggested potatoes at that point. I'm going on memory, though, so might be off on that.

M

member 2106

Best to try it and find out! But if you have existing digestion problems, it's probably not going to help.

Agent207

I like oatmeal porridge for breakfast, tastes good to me and I digest it pretty well.

I notice some people when try it, they just take it straight out of the box without soaking and experience suboptimal digestion and blame oats for that. I can even eat it that way without problem, but I don't think is good to consume grains that way, without soaking or cooking.

Try soaking it the day before with half lemon squeezed and tsp of rye flour.

Last edited:

Agent207

Well, in that case its definitely a food that doesn't suit for you, but that's ok, not all foods are the same for everybody.. like some people don't do well with diary, eggs, legumes...

Did you tried sorghum? Its a good grain choice for me, prepared the same way.

dd99

Yeah, I like steel cut oats. I let them sit overnight in milk (5:1 milk to oats) in a jar and then pressure cook them in the morning for 10 minutes. Lots of honey and some apple puree. Black coffee. Delicious brekkie.

Plus, my kids love it.

Sometimes it takes weeks to get used to s food like oatmeal. My theory is you could probably adjust to it if you wanted to. I eat white bread sometimes with not much distress. I think foods take a long time to adjust to. Doesn't make it great but it makes it tolerable. There is a lot to be said for minimal diet variation.

Long lived people eat boringly I've noticed.

Very much into the same things every day without dietary novelty.

Sometimes it takes weeks to get used to s food like oatmeal. My theory is you could probably adjust to it if you wanted to. I eat white bread sometimes with not much distress. I think foods take a long time to adjust to. Doesn't make it great but it makes it tolerable. There is a lot to be said for minimal diet variation.
I've eaten oatmeal all my life and i'm better without. :)

OP
biggirlkisss

biggirlkisss

i dotn know what to do for my digestion problems im a mess can anyone coach me on skype or facebook

Tenacity

Long lived people eat boringly I've noticed.

Very much into the same things every day without dietary novelty.

I've noticed when I eat enough of all nutrients I can very easily eat the same foods everyday without having cravings, and have done for the past 2 years of my life. That long lived people eat boringly may be explained by the fact that they get everything they need in their diet with minimal variation.