Nutritional Value Of Whey Liquid Discarded From Making Cottage Cheese?

YamnayaMommy

I understand whey protein is regarded as bad because it is high in tryptophan. Would this also be the case for liquid whey discarded from cheese making?

You can make additive-free cottage cheese with just milk, lemon juice, and your instant pot!

Oleg

I’ve been doing that for a while now. Although I use vinegar instead of citric acid (lemon juice). It’s much cheaper that way. Fist, I was concern about the smell of vinegar, but it goes away completely with whey. I guess you loose some nutrients, but it’s so much easier to eat, rather than drinking so much milk.

OP
YamnayaMommy

YamnayaMommy

I’ve been doing that for a while now. Although I use vinegar instead of citric acid (lemon juice). It’s much cheaper that way. Fist, I was concern about the smell of vinegar, but it goes away completely with whey. I guess you loose some nutrients, but it’s so much easier to eat, rather than drinking so much milk.
I also ended up using vinegar but stopped making cottage cheese because it was too much of a hassle to procure so much milk. We’re a family of five. Plus the homemade cottage cheese was not great. I was using skim milk and presumably would have improved taste with fattier milk. Right now I’m having no trouble drinking lots of skim milk with honey and pinch of salt.

I think ray peat recommends cottage cheese in part because you’re getting rid of the problematic tryptophan.

It’s really hard to find cottage cheese without thickeners and preservatives.

jdrop

I also ended up using vinegar but stopped making cottage cheese because it was too much of a hassle to procure so much milk. We’re a family of five. Plus the homemade cottage cheese was not great. I was using skim milk and presumably would have improved taste with fattier milk. Right now I’m having no trouble drinking lots of skim milk with honey and pinch of salt.

I think ray peat recommends cottage cheese in part because you’re getting rid of the problematic tryptophan.

It’s really hard to find cottage cheese without thickeners and preservatives.
In the US there is one called Good Culture, and Daisy now has one without the gums. Good culture seems better made but the texture of the curds in the Daisy one are more palatable. These have been a staple for me since the fall.

OP
YamnayaMommy

YamnayaMommy

In the US there is one called Good Culture, and Daisy now has one without the gums. Good culture seems better made but the texture of the curds in the Daisy one are more palatable. These have been a staple for me since the fall.
Didn’t know about Daisy, will have to look for it. I have bought Good Culture cottage cheese and it is good, but not low fat.

Lol. Whenever I give my kids cottage cheese my four year old wants to make sure first that it’s NOT the homemade cottage cheese.

jdrop

Didn’t know about Daisy, will have to look for it. I have bought Good Culture cottage cheese and it is good, but not low fat.

Lol. Whenever I give my kids cottage cheese my four year old wants to make sure first that it’s NOT the homemade cottage cheese.

I was surprised to see the Daisy without the junk.

Both brands I use the 2%.