Nutrition Data Of The US Of The Last Hundred Years

Dave Clark

I think there are other threads on this, plus a YT video of some guy with a magnet and a bowl of cereal, but it is mostly due to the enrichment of the grains with inorganic iron (among other nutrients). That is one of the main drivers of iron overload, from what I understand.

Dave Clark

Okay thanks.
Is it not labeled in the foods?
Since I don't normally buy any commercially produced foods, I am not sure what exactly the labels say today, but in the ingredient list it will usually say "enriched flour" etc. and then I believe it will say "reduced iron". Stay away from anything that has this like the plague, an internet search will be informative.

tara

mostly due to the enrichment of the grains with inorganic iron (among other nutrients)
Yeah.
Is it not labeled in the foods?
'Enrichment' in this context doesn't mean incorporating it in the soil to be integrated biologically, it means adding an iron compound after the grain is grown and milled, or when the product is assembled.
I'm not in the US, and I don't know how the labelling is there.
Where I am it is common for breakfast cereals to have iron in some form as a specific item in the list of ingredients.

upload_2018-1-15_5-16-32.png

Kyle M

Iron fortification in grains became widespread in the second half of the 20th century, and is labeled. Look at some bread or something, it's there.

OP
J

johann1988

Yeah.

'Enrichment' in this context doesn't mean incorporating it in the soil to be integrated biologically, it means adding an iron compound after the grain is grown and milled, or when the product is assembled.
I'm not in the US, and I don't know how the labelling is there.
Where I am it is common for breakfast cereals to have iron in some form as a specific item in the list of ingredients.
Thank you,I am also not from the U.S. but from Germany and I read that in germany ONLY iron enrichment in the 'white flour production' hasn't to be mentioned to regain the iron amount of the whole grain. In the U.S. it is different, they are also adding some b vitamins like folic acid, this is at least my research, maybe someone is deeper in this topic.

managing

Iron fortification in grains became widespread in the second half of the 20th century, and is labeled. Look at some bread or something, it's there.
Organic is not required to be and therefore generally isn't. But, as you say, read the label.