Nutrients In Kale Broth?

ekool445

Hey all,

I am wondering if anybody knows how much magnesium, calcium, and K1 you can get from drinking kale broth?

Also, would there be a lot of antinutrients and goitrogens also left in the broth? I read an article that warned against drinking the broth of green leafy vegetables because it may contain goitrogens and other anti-nutrients. Not sure if there are studies that have analyzed any of this?

RP has said that kale broth is a good source of magnesium, calcium, and K2, and so I am interested in implementing this idea.

Thanks

Last edited:
Goitrogens are destroyed by cooking. I've noticed improvements after increasing my cooked green consumption, likely from the increase in magnesium. The liver handles the anti-nutrients in foods just as its supposed to. That is the point of having a liver. Since no food is perfect, we have ways to get whats needed and excrete whats not in a food context, of course that wouldn't be true if you injected yourself with lead.

OP
ekool445

ekool445

@Westside PUFAs, thanks for the swift response.

Any idea of the content of the nutrients in the broth?

Do you eat the cooked greens as well or just the broth?

Jayfish

Well if you check chronometer, a pound of cooked kale only has 80mg magnesium. It has a decent amount of calcium, potassium, copper and manganese.

It does have a ton of pre-vitamin A and K1 but not sure what kind of damage is done from a long boiling. Vit c for instance is not heat stable at all.

Also I would definitely be worried about anti nutrients from kale especially.

OP
ekool445

ekool445

Well if you check chronometer, a pound of cooked kale only has 80mg magnesium. It has a decent amount of calcium, potassium, copper and manganese.

It does have a ton of pre-vitamin A and K1 but not sure what kind of damage is done from a long boiling. Vit c for instance is not heat stable at all.

Also I would definitely be worried about anti nutrients from kale especially.

That is a pound of kale that has been boiled and drained. I am wondering about the content of the drained broth. I see that a pound of fresh kale has 210mg of magnesium. Perhaps the difference would be in the broth?

Does anyone know if the anti nutrients stick around after cooking or remain in the broth?

I don't worry about the nutrients because it's futile. You'll never know the exact amount of nutrients in any foods unless you tested them in lab. A plant can not grow without nutrients so I disagree with the notion that our soils our "depleted." It's best to only eat greens cooked. Steaming for even just a few minutes is good. I make broth and eat the leaves too. As far as satiation, leafy greens aren't meant to satisfy. They don't provide enough carbohydrate to satisfy, unlike rice and some roots, and fruits. I eat greens for their minerals, protein, and possibly undiscovered/unstudied phytochemicals and vitamin K1. Kale is also a source of a special nutrient called kaempferol, as well as lutein, zeaxanthin, folic acid and glucosinolates which produce cancer preventive compounds. I'm not worried about getting enough of things, I'm worried about getting too much.

Not everyone can or wants to do dairy so cooked greens are what they use. People who are anti-greens will often ignore the negatives of dairy. It's a gamble. You can choose to have dairy as your Ca, Mg, and other nutrients source or you can choose cooked greens/green broth, both have positives and negatives. Or you can consume both greens and dairy.

Mg. is in other foods as well so you shouldn't be only looking at the content of Mg. in greens if you're eating other foods that have Mg. They can all be used for total Mg.

Spinach has more anti-nutrients than Kale and even Peat thinks spinach is good:

"If they are organically grown without intense nitrate fertilization and if it’s well cooked, I think spinach is good food." - RP

K1 is required for green plants to conduct the process of photosynthesis. The K2 form of vitamin K is made from K1 and K3 by bacteria and other microorganisms. It can also be made in the human body through a conversion process involving K1 and K3. Since vitamin K is easily obtained from the diet and synthesized in the body, deficiencies are rare and usually occur only when there is malabsorption due to bowel obstruction, sprue, bowel shunts, regional ileitis, ulcerative colitis, or chronic liver disease. Vitamin K is given prophylactically to infants at birth to prevent hemorrhage, and presurgically to people who have bleeding and clotting disorders. Vitamin K is a general term used to describe a group of similar compounds, including K1, which is found in foods; K2, which is made by our intestinal bacteria; and K3, a synthetic form that is available only by prescription. Since vitamin K is widely available in foods and made in our bodies, supplements are necessary only in cases of malabsorption or medical disorders, or at birth to prevent hemorrhaging in newborns, or if you just wanted to take it for your own purposes. Only the K3 form of vitamin K—the synthetic form—is known to have any degree of toxicity. The major symptom of vitamin K overdose is hemolytic anemia, in which the red blood cells die more quickly than the body can replace them.

Nattō is fermented which means the anti-thyroid compounds removed and is a source of K2.

Vitamin K2 can also be made in the liver, pancreas, and other organs, showing we do convert K1 to K2 and K4 as well as the remaining K vitamins:

Conversion of dietary phylloquinone to tissue menaquinone-4 in rats is not dependent on gut bacteria. - PubMed - NCBI

The reason why greens are high in magnesium is because of chlorophyll.

c.jpg

Last edited:

Jayfish

If you look at the difference between a certain green. Say lacinato kale, grown conventionally and even different regions and methods, you can certainly tell the kale that had a lot of minerals in the ground and the stuff that didnt. So yes, there is a lot of soil depletion going on.

tara

That is a pound of kale that has been boiled and drained. I am wondering about the content of the drained broth. I see that a pound of fresh kale has 210mg of magnesium. Perhaps the difference would be in the broth?
Seems likely to me.

A plant can not grow without nutrients so I disagree with the notion that our soils our "depleted."
They can get enough to grow quickly, but not enough to be as healthy as they would be in mineral-rich soil. You can measure the brix of vegetable juice and get indications of how well nourished the plant was. There can be wide variations in mineral content between two specimens of the same species of plant grown under different conditions. Well-nourished plants are more resistant to disease than ones grown on more depleted soil, as well as being more nourishing to the eaters.
I think @Daimyo is the local expert on high-brix gardening around here.

R

ratcheer

I've heard Peat mention (KMUD) that greens like kale can have oxalates. To remove them, add a pinch of baking soda while cooking.

artist

I thought magnesium depletion in the soil was pretty much a given at this point. I feel way better when I supplement it despite the fact that I get quite a bit of foods that should theoretically be high magnesium. I am trying to wean off of all supplements but I think the case for magnesium is pretty strong so I don't plan on dropping it any time soon.

tara

I thought magnesium depletion in the soil was pretty much a given at this point.
I agree that jorticultural soil depletion is widespread.
But I think you can be confident that there is magnesium in greens, because AIUI, the chlorophyll molecule (ie what makes the leaves green) includes Mg.
I supplement Mg regularly too, though, because I don't think I get enough Mg from the amount of greens I eat.

OP
ekool445

ekool445

Is magnesium supplementation necessary or even beneficial? What seems to be the consensus around here? Over the last year I have given up a lot of supplements and only keeping it to the essentials.

tara

Is magnesium supplementation necessary or even beneficial? What seems to be the consensus around here? Over the last year I have given up a lot of supplements and only keeping it to the essentials.
I don't think everyone has to supplement, if they are getting reasonable amounts from food and not losing it faster than usual.

My understanding is that if metabolism is low, there is a tendency to lose magnesium more easily, and then we need more to replace it. Commonly published RDIs are around 400mg. Peat has said this is probably reasonable for most slightly hypothyroid folk, and that healthy euthyroid folk probably don't need so much. Some people report doing better with more.

For myself, I assume I benefit from some supplementation because when I don't I'm nmore susceptible to cramps, and they are relieved quickly by supplying more.

You could tot up an estimate of how much you are getting from food, and see how it compares with that 400mg. You could see if you notice any difference for yourself between supplementing or not.

Agent207

My understanding is that if metabolism is low, there is a tendency to lose magnesium more easily, and then we need more to replace it.

Wouldn't it be the opposite? Proper thyroid and metabolism uses more magnesium (amont other minerals), and symptoms will be more acusated if you ramp up your metabolism under its deficiency.

sladerunner69

How l9ng to cook the kale borth for and what is a good ratio of leaves to greens? IM worried if I cook too long the nutrients will become denatured

aquaman

For some reason green broths make me feel incredible. Not sure if Mg, Ca or other trace minerals. Would highly recommend as s missing piece of the Peat puzzle. He often mentions well-cooked greens as important.

raypeatclips

For some reason green broths make me feel incredible. Not sure if Mg, Ca or other trace minerals. Would highly recommend as s missing piece of the Peat puzzle. He often mentions well-cooked greens as important.

Which greens do you use, and do you use organic? Do you eat the leaves or just drink the water?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals