Nutrient Supplements -yes Or No?

Motif

After using cronometer for I realized it's hard to hit 100% for all nutrients.

Ray peat is against most supplements.
Many others say it's absolutely needed nowadays.

What do you think about it?

Are you really feeling a difference from certain supplements like Magnesium , vitamin c etc.

Maybe getting 100% of everything in cronometer is overrated anyway? Or is it not?

Ron J

It has been mentioned that food is superior, and that supplements may cause imbalances. Unless you often get blood tests, it's better to not blindly create imbalances via supplements. Perhaps vegetable broths may be a great option, but it depends what you regularly eat. Vegetables often have corotenes, so if you also consume a lot of vit A fortified milk, you may be getting an excess of vitamin A.

lampofred

If you feel like you have a specific deficiency of a vitamin and are experiencing negative symptoms, then it might not hurt to supplement a bit (but even then, might be better to just eat liver or something). But supplementing just to meet RDAs on cronometer when you don't have symptoms of a deficiency might mess up the balance in your body...

Last edited:

milkboi

I don't really think it's hard to get 100% (or even multiple times that) of most nutrients if you are serious about diet.

OP
M

Motif

I don't really think it's hard to get 100% (or even multiple times that) of most nutrients if you are serious about diet.

What do you eat regularly? Maybe you could post in the cronometer thread...

Waremu

You can easily hit all nutrients with just a handful of different types of foods. Milk and fruit alone will give you almost all of the nutrients you need. Over the year, I have moved away from using supplements, with very few exceptions perhaps, since very often, taking large amounts of isolated nutrients can offset nutritional balances in other areas and create low amounts or whatever of those nutrients. And yes, also due to the toxins in many supplements. But I dont rule out that there are some that a useful if used intelligently and so they have their place at times.

milkboi

What do you eat regularly? Maybe you could post in the cronometer thread...

My Plan For PUFA Depletion & Weight Loss
I posted screenshots of it at the last page... I regularly eat maple syrup (manganese), so the only displayed nutrients that I don't get 100% of are basically Vitamin E and K (they are pretty hard to obtain with only diet), which I take as sups. As you can see, I do take quite a bit of supplements, but that's because I'm still pretty sick. You wouldn't need those in a generally healthy state I think (although the fat-solubles are a pretty nice addition to almost every diet if not overdone imo).

ilhanxx

i dont agree, nowadays nutrients have gmo(genetically modified) and there are not adequate vitamins and minerals in it than the past. blood test referances must change to different continent or different countries.

kyle

Yes, for therapeutic reasons.

The common RDA numbers are kind of arbitrary anyway.

Also food quality is an issue. Wild salmon for example probably isnt terrible, even with the pufa. My friend from Alaska shared some smoked salmon he caught and i felt quite energized by it.

But even then i wouldnt eat frozen wild salmon. I think the fact that he cooked and smoked and jarred it on the spot kept it quite well. Real smoked foods seems to have some kind of chemistry going on that makes it more edible, im speculating.

The farmed stuff is well known now to be basically toxic however.

Kind of a tangent here but i feel similar wrt smoked vs fresh oysters. Even thouhh i can source some relatively decent fresh stuff, something about smoked korean oysters is still preferable in some ways. Any oyster sitting on a truck or stored for even a limited period raises some questions whether fresh is always better.

I think what Peat wrote about polyamines is something to consider. Meat physiology, stress, and degenerative physiology.

I tend to buy frozen vegetables for a similar reason. Raw, fresh picked foodies are convinced of its superiority so in theory if its innediately frozen after being picked its better.

In other words, bc a cronometer is saying one thing doesnt mean much in my experience.

OP
M

Motif

@kyle

@ilhanxx

So what supplements do you take?

I'm really thinking about getting the Thorne multi, just to support overall nutrition

ilhanxx

@kyle

@ilhanxx

So what supplements do you take?

I'm really thinking about getting the Thorne multi, just to support overall nutrition

I use before bed l-optizinc, magnesium citrate with b6, I focus on overall bowel health recently, for this i take cold press egean mountain thyme oil in a glass of water. I investigate turpentine, my weak side is digestion system.

OP
M

Motif

I use before bed l-optizinc, magnesium citrate with b6, I focus on overall bowel health recently, for this i take cold press egean mountain thyme oil in a glass of water. I investigate turpentine, my weak side is digestion system.

My digestion sucks. But I think it's a liver or gallbladder issue for me

TeaRex14

When perfectly healthy in an ideal world diet would be all that's needed. But even a whole food diet full of beef, liver, eggs, dairy, fruits, and veggies isn't what it use to be due to soil mineral depletion. Not only that, but once you become unhealthy, you may need unphysiological amounts of certain nutrients to overcome your situation. Also whenever your diet is heavily processed, full of refined sugar, you'll need extra nutrients. The one thing about supplements is, in my opinion anyways, people should treat them just like foods when shopping for them. Watch the ingredient list, ideally the only thing that should be in the supplement is the supplement itself, and maybe a gelatin capsule or whatever it comes in. But anything that has more than 2 or 3 added ingredients is probably too watered down to waste your time with. Some added ingredients can even interfere with adsorption of said supplement. So it's important to realize an extensive majority of supplements on the market are trash.

kyle

Ultimately food you enjoy and how you feel is a better guide than a cronometer. If you feel fine id just eat drink and be merry.

Supps are not always helpful, sometimes cause mystery ailments. Its contextual. On the other hand i think they can be serious treatments in some cases.

OP
M

Motif

When perfectly healthy in an ideal world diet would be all that's needed. But even a whole food diet full of beef, liver, eggs, dairy, fruits, and veggies isn't what it use to be due to soil mineral depletion. Not only that, but once you become unhealthy, you may need unphysiological amounts of certain nutrients to overcome your situation. Also whenever your diet is heavily processed, full of refined sugar, you'll need extra nutrients. The one thing about supplements is, in my opinion anyways, people should treat them just like foods when shopping for them. Watch the ingredient list, ideally the only thing that should be in the supplement is the supplement itself, and maybe a gelatin capsule or whatever it comes in. But anything that has more than 2 or 3 added ingredients is probably too watered down to waste your time with. Some added ingredients can even interfere with adsorption of said supplement. So it's important to realize an extensive majority of supplements on the market are trash.

Good supplement brands recommendations ?

Broken man

I would take or have magnesium at home for when bad times happen. But overall, if you are hypo even when your cronometer says that the nutrients are close to ideal, your body could be able to use just certain amount. I am taking what Is necessary like magnesium, K2, vitamin E. Its beneficial to take it for liver, gas poisoning etc... The best indicator Is how you feel, do you feel that your body Is missing something?

OP
M

Motif

I would take or have magnesium at home for when bad times happen. But overall, if you are hypo even when your cronometer says that the nutrients are close to ideal, your body could be able to use just certain amount. I am taking what Is necessary like magnesium, K2, vitamin E. Its beneficial to take it for liver, gas poisoning etc... The best indicator Is how you feel, do you feel that your body Is missing something?

I don't know what is missing, but yeah -something clearly is as I have symptoms all my life, like constipation (I guess from bad fat digestion cause ox bile helps with this), hot flashes and sweating, Gilbert syndrome, food intolerances which result in dermatitis/hair loss/ Seborrhoic eczema.

I also always had problems to concentrate and got aggressive very easily.

Broken man

I don't know what is missing, but yeah -something clearly is as I have symptoms all my life, like constipation (I guess from bad fat digestion cause ox bile helps with this), hot flashes and sweating, Gilbert syndrome, food intolerances which result in dermatitis/hair loss/ Seborrhoic eczema.

I also always had problems to concentrate and got aggressive very easily.
I can Tell you what I did but Its not So peaty.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals