Nut butter alternatives

averywave

Missing the decadence of nutty spreadables! Wondering other's thoughts on blanched almond butter as most stable, digestible nut butter aside from macadamia? Recommended alternatives?

mostlylurking

Almond oil is toxic. It is a polyunsaturated fatty acid. It is carcinogenic. Those are my thoughts on nut butters in general and almond butter in particular. Recommended alternatives: hydrogenated coconut oil, butter, and sour cream; the coconut oil is the best choice.

bogbody

i sometimes eat powdered peanut butter (PB2) if i want that flavor. it’s almost completely defatted so very low in PUFA and typically made from high-oleic peanuts. you just mix it with water or milk or even coconut oil. not strictly “peaty” but i think it’s fine here and there personally.

akgrrrl

Almond oil is toxic. It is a polyunsaturated fatty acid. It is carcinogenic. Those are my thoughts on nut butters in general and almond butter in particular. Recommended alternatives: hydrogenated coconut oil, butter, and sour cream; the coconut oil is the best choice.
No, not coconut oil...creamed coconut.
Not to be confused with coconut cream...
Utterly macerated coconut, reduced to butter spreading consistency. Delicious in coffee with chocolate and sugar, milk. Makes killer fudge. Add to soups, sauces, I blend with maple syrup over an Einkorn waffle. Went from quart jars to a bucket in short order.

Attachments

• 20210612_095212.jpg
    20210612_095212.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 31

mostlylurking

No, not coconut oil...creamed coconut.
Not to be confused with coconut cream...
Utterly macerated coconut, reduced to butter spreading consistency. Delicious in coffee with chocolate and sugar, milk. Makes killer fudge. Add to soups, sauces, I blend with maple syrup over an Einkorn waffle. Went from quart jars to a bucket in short order.
Didn't know it existed. Will give it a try!

akgrrrl

I ordered some online. I'm out in the sticks; the closest Trader Joe's is 80+ miles one way.
I can offer further a tip for use and storage.
It is an advantage for me that my stovetop griddle stays warm due to pilot flames underneath. Here, sits my honey always liquid ready to use, coconut oil melted& ready for baked goods recipe, and now a small widemouth jar coconut cream.
When my large bucket arrives, it sits there for 24hrs. The oil rises to the top. You can pour it off(into my coconut oil bucket), or stir it in. I do both, pouring off what appears nearly 1/3 of the bucket, then stirring whats left, stirring that into widemouth jars to harden. They go to cool basement storage until needed.
1 heaping tb adds a lot of fiber to a pan of coffee/cocoa/milk/cinnamon/milk&sugar so it will be your experimentation that guides. I finally made coconut rice so good that I could make myself sick overeating it.

Zpol

This stuff is amazing. It's not quite the consistency of almond butter but close enough. It's pretty solid at normal room temp but I microwave it for maybe 15 seconds and it's perfect.

akgrrrl

This stuff is amazing. It's not quite the consistency of almond butter but close enough. It's pretty solid at normal room temp but I microwave it for maybe 15 seconds and it's perfect.
Oh that looks good. Oh. Yes. Come here. Mmmm.

livesimply

Silly question: does it TASTE like coconut? I really wish I liked the taste of coconut, but I do not.

Zpol

Silly question: does it TASTE like coconut? I really wish I liked the taste of coconut, but I do not.
Umm, it's hard to explain. I'd say there is a slight coconut taste but not overpowering. I personally hate the taste of virgin coconut oil. This coconut butter is processed and most of that flavor is removed.

livesimply

Umm, it's hard to explain. I'd say there is a slight coconut taste but not overpowering. I personally hate the taste of virgin coconut oil. This coconut butter is processed and most of that flavor is removed.
thanks! I guess I might try it and see for myself.

Missing the decadence of nutty spreadables! Wondering other's thoughts on blanched almond butter as most stable, digestible nut butter aside from macadamia? Recommended alternatives?

I make my own peanut butter with liquid coconut oil and defeated peanut powder. I add in crushed macadamias if I want chunky peanut butter! It takes me less than 5 minutes to make!

Attachments

• 20210812_173856.jpg
    20210812_173856.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 13

JohnA

I make my own peanut butter with liquid coconut oil and defeated peanut powder. I add in crushed macadamias if I want chunky peanut butter! It takes me less than 5 minutes to make!

I started making this "Peanut butter and honey rice cake sandwich" recipe a few times daily to add in extra calories (about 300 calories per sandwich):
- 2 tablespoons of peanut butter powder
-1 tablespoon of liquid coconut oil or olive oil
- 1.5 tablespoons of water
- 2 thin rice cakes
- Honey

The instructions on the peanut butter powder bottle say you only need 1.5 tablespoons of water, but I find it much easier to spread the peanut butter when it's a little thinner.

I started making this "Peanut butter and honey rice cake sandwich" recipe a few times daily to add in extra calories (about 300 calories per sandwich):
- 2 tablespoons of peanut butter powder
-1 tablespoon of liquid coconut oil or olive oil
- 1.5 tablespoons of water
- 2 thin rice cakes
- Honey

The instructions on the peanut butter powder bottle say you only need 1.5 tablespoons of water, but I find it much easier to spread the peanut butter when it's a little thinner.
What a great idea puting it on rice cakes! I just eat mine by the spoonful with raspberry jelly :)

JohnA

Yea, the rice cakes add a satisfying crunch and make it feel more like an old school peanut butter sandwich!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals