NSAID use linked to 22% increased risk of erectile dysfunction

SarahBeara

Came accross this study in my travels:

http://www.naturalnews.com/032409_aspir ... tion.html#

I can't track down the original study on pubmed (thanks in advance to anyone who can)

From my other searches on pubmed this seems like a counter-intuitive result. But I try to not ignore data that doesn't conform to my preconceptions and try to allow it instead to enrich my overall understanding.

LucH

Aspirin use linked to 22% increased risk of erectile dysfunction

http://www.naturalnews.com/032409_aspir ... ction.html
[offtopic]Researchers [highlight=yellow]believed[/highlight] that erectile dysfunction was caused by inflammation, and they had the assumption that anti-inflammatory drugs would have a beneficial effect. Kaiser researchers studied more than 80,000 men and found that daily use of aspirin or other NSAID's was associated with a 22% increase in the risk of erectile dysfunction. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs were used regularly by 47% of the men in the study. Nearly 30% of the men regularly using NSAID drugs reported moderate to severe erectile dysfunction. Increased risk of ED was seen even after adjusting for known risk factors.
(...)
Generally erectile dysfunction is associated with cardiovascular problems, increased inflammation, and decreased circulation. Researchers believed that through the use of NSAID's and a reduction in inflammation improvements would be seen.
(...)
One theory stated that while NSAID's improve blood flow there may be other pathways that these drugs inhibit leading to increased erectile problems. In the wake of conflicting understanding of the interaction of medications and erectile dysfunction recent research has found dietary factors that can reduce the risk.
(...)[/offtopic]
This is not a serious source: They believe ... They think that ...
These people have already damaged arteries. Aspirin or not, it won't make any miracle without vitamin E, beta-carotène and vitamin K2. :twisted:
:hattip

milk_lover

LucH said:
post 111725 This is not a serious source: They believe ... They think that ...
These people have already damaged arteries. Aspirin or not, it won't make any miracle without vitamin E, beta-carotène and vitamin K2.
It's probably the only supplement from Peat world that I haven't experimented with. Am I missing a lot here?

Last edited by a moderator:

LucH

milk_lover said:
post 111727 It's probably the only supplement from Peat world that I haven't experimented with. Am I missing a lot here?

yah!
[offtopic]Thyroid function, progesterone, sodium, carbon dioxide therapies, and vitamin K also play a vital role in calcium metabolism and bone health. Cortisol, prolactin, estrogen, and serotonin have anti-bone characteristics and these factors should be minimized or offset by the substances that oppose them (like thyroid, progesterone, gelatin, DHEA, and pregnenolone).
Protect the health of your bones, kidneys, and arteries by keeping PTH low with daily digestible dietary calcium and other cofactors.
from "Calcium paradox" RP[/offtopic]

If you take vitamin D, more than 400 - 2000 Ui, you' d better reconsider the use of k2.
[offtopic]Interaction between vitamins A D K (Synergy)
Vitamin K2 is the substance that makes the vitamin A- and vitamin D-dependent proteins come to life. While vitamins A and D act as signalling molecules, telling cells to make certain proteins, vitamin K2 activates these proteins by conferring upon them the physical ability to bind calcium. In some cases these proteins directly coordinate the movement or organization of calcium themselves; in other cases the calcium acts as a glue to hold the protein in a certain shape.33 In all such cases, the proteins are only functional once they have been activated by vitamin K.
Osteocalcin, for example, is a protein responsible for organizing the deposition of calcium and phosphorus salts in bones and teeth. Cells only produce this protein in the presence of both vitamins A and D;34 it will only accumulate in the extracellular matrix and facilitate the deposition of calcium salts, however, once it has been activated by vitamin K2.35 Vitamins A and D regulate the expression of matrix Gla protein (MGP),36,37 which is responsible for mineralizing bone and protecting the arteries from calcification; like osteocalcin, however, MGP can only fulfil its function once it has been activated by vitamin K2.33 [highlight=yellow]While vitamins A and D contribute to growth by stimulating growth factors and promoting the absorption of minerals, vitamin K2 makes its own essential contribution to growth by preventing the premature calcification of the cartilaginous growth zones of bones[/highlight].38[/offtopic]
Source: “On the Trail of the Elusive X-Factor: A Sixty-Two-Year-Old Mystery Finally Solved”
http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topi ... ly-solved/ Weston Price - February 14, 2008 by Christopher Masterjohn.

OP
SarahBeara

SarahBeara

LucH said:
post 111725 http://www.naturalnews.com/032409_aspir ... ction.html
[offtopic]Researchers [highlight=yellow]believed[/highlight] that erectile dysfunction was caused by inflammation, and they had the assumption that anti-inflammatory drugs would have a beneficial effect. Kaiser researchers studied more than 80,000 men and found that daily use of aspirin or other NSAID's was associated with a 22% increase in the risk of erectile dysfunction. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs were used regularly by 47% of the men in the study. Nearly 30% of the men regularly using NSAID drugs reported moderate to severe erectile dysfunction. Increased risk of ED was seen even after adjusting for known risk factors.
(...)
Generally erectile dysfunction is associated with cardiovascular problems, increased inflammation, and decreased circulation. Researchers believed that through the use of NSAID's and a reduction in inflammation improvements would be seen.
(...)
One theory stated that while NSAID's improve blood flow there may be other pathways that these drugs inhibit leading to increased erectile problems. In the wake of conflicting understanding of the interaction of medications and erectile dysfunction recent research has found dietary factors that can reduce the risk.
(...)[/offtopic]
This is not a serious source: They believe ... They think that ...
These people have already damaged arteries. Aspirin or not, it won't make any miracle without vitamin E, beta-carotène and vitamin K2. :twisted:
:hattip

I'm still trying to track down the full study to get the particulars, but I'd presume a study of this nature controls for other items of lifestyle.

I'm not proposing aspirin is a miracle but in this case it seems to make things worse.

Why would people with damaged arteries get increased erectile dysfunction when they take aspirin? What would the mechanism be?

Hugh Johnson

"aspirin or other NSAIDS"

Aspirin has almost nothing in common with the rest of group and generally has the opposite effect as most NSAIDs.

LucH

SarahBeara said:
post 111765 Why would people with damaged arteries get increased erectile dysfunction when they take aspirin? What would the mechanism be?
Aspirin induces nitric oxide release from vascular endothelium.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1575268/

PS: People take extracts of white willow bark (or nettle leaves) to get the same potential,without side effects.

Giraffe

Aspirin for treatment of lithium-associated sexual dysfunction in men: randomized double-blind placebo-controlled study.

OBJECTIVES:
The aim of the present study was to assess the effect of aspirin on lithium-related sexual dysfunction in men with stable bipolar affective disorder (BAD).

METHODS:
In a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study, 32 men with stable BAD who had been on lithium maintenance therapy randomly received aspirin (240 mg/day) or placebo for six weeks. The International Index for Erectile Function (IIEF) was used to assess sexual symptoms at baseline, Week 3, and Week 6. Depressive and mania symptoms and plasma lithium concentrations were assessed at baseline and Week 6. Side effects were assessed using a checklist.

RESULTS:
Thirty patients (15/group) completed the study. Baseline and endpoint lithium concentrations and mania and depressive symptoms did not differ significantly between the two groups. Significant effects of time × treatment interaction were observed for total score [Greenhouse-Geisser: F(1.410,39.466) = 6.084, p = 0.010] and erectile function [Greenhouse-Geisser: F(1.629,45.602) = 7.250, p = 0.003]. By Week 6, patients in the aspirin group showed significantly greater improvement in the total (63.9% improvement from the baseline) and erectile function domain (85.4% improvement from the baseline) scores than the placebo group (14.4% and 19.7% improvement from the baseline, p-values = 0.002 and 0.001, respectively). By Week 6, 12 (80%) patients in the aspirin group and three (20%) patients in the placebo group met the criteria of minimal clinically important change [χ(2) (1) = 10.800, p = 0.001]. Other IIEF domains also showed significant improvement at the end of the trial. The frequency of side effects was similar between the two groups.

CONCLUSION:
Aspirin effectively improves lithium-related sexual dysfunction in men with stable BAD.

milk_lover

Ok I will share a story, it's probably inappropriate.

I was at an airport. The bus took us from our houses and dropped us at the airport five hours before our flight departure. It was cold outside the airport and inside. I did not sleep well the day before. My mood was in a bad mode. I ate PUFA-laden burgers, they were the only good options in a nearly shut down airport. That was at midnight.

I saw, afterwards, Dunkin' Donuts store. To offset the bad food I ate, I ordered some coffee with sugar and cinnamon. And I popped two 500mgs pills of Aspirin and took them with the coffee. I got sleepy, so I went directly to my gate and slept there to make sure I don't miss the flight, hoping people would see me and wake me up. They did.

Erection many people saw. I was not embarrassed but confused. This debunks what the link says about Aspirin.

Aspirin is supposed to be estrogen antagonist according to Ray Peat.

OP
SarahBeara

SarahBeara

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and experiences. I'm trying to help a friend come up with an alternative to clomid for ED due to clomid's estrogenic activity.

I just want to ensure my recommendation won't cause the opposite of the desired reaction.

This "study" is very poor because they lump NSAIDs together, and at this stage, I bet most people are taking other NSAIDs, not aspirin.

Also it's not a random controlled trial. It's an epidemiological study, ugh.

Anyone would realize: Very sick people take more NSAIDs and have more ED.

Of course, they attempt to get around this problem: "With adjustment for age, race/ethnicity, smoking status, diabetes mellitus, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, peripheral vascular disease, coronary artery disease and body mass index, a positive association persisted (adjusted OR 1.38)."

But what about all the other issues that sicker people have? Their nutritional problems. And how did they adjust for these chronic health problems?

This is approximately worthless as a study. The really sick people feel crappy and they swallow pills. And they have more ED.

tara

ecstatichamster said:
post 111806 Also it's not a random controlled trial. It's an epidemiological study, ugh.

Anyone would realize: Very sick people take more NSAIDs and have more ED.
That was my suspicion too.

You have to be pretty sick before you get a diagnosis.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals