Home > Resources, Diet, Testimonials, Logs > Ray Peat Resources & Quotes > Interviews > NPR 1996 Ray Peat Thyroid Interview

NPR 1996 Ray Peat Thyroid Interview

1. NPR 1996 Ray Peat Thyroid Interview

Special thanks to a forum member who sent this to me. :thankyou

2. Amazing interview, once again.
    Thanks to the forum member. :salute

3. Ray's been doing interviews for a looong time.
    Thanks to anon forum member.

4. Out of curiosity, what's your background getting into this s**t?

You seem like someone genuinely interested in what Ray Peat offers while having passionate preexisting opinions on your own on the matters he discusses.

5. I have a medical background.
    The internet ( with the unintentional help of an well known international event) revealed to me what i had suspected but always rationalised during my medical studies...and opened a gigantic can of worms .

And the more i keep digging, the more i discover...
    People like me do have an advantage while digging when it comes to spot what's legit...

And i have to say it's really not easy to discover Ray; practically nobody's talking about him; so thanks god for Elaine Hollingsworth and her " doctors are dangerous" website...

6. Great find and thank you for posting!
    Listening to it now.

7. Excellent interview. He gives a lot of info about melatonin.

8. At somewhere around the 45 minute mark
    Peat discusses the "age pigment," especially its deposits in the brain.
    He discusses an experiment where subjects were given vitamin E (in an ethyl alcohol solution)
    and those age pigments disappeared from the brains within weeks.
    He then went on to say that the control for this experiment
    was given just the ethyl alcohol--
    and that control group showed nearly identical age pigment removal.

Peat went on to discuss antioxidants and the brain and age pigment,
    but it was confusing to me what he concluded about that control group and the ethyl alcohol's
    seeming effectiveness....

Anybody understand that?

9. He meant exactly what you wrote; ethyl alcohol is nearly as good an antioxydant as Vit E when it comes to prevent lipid peroxydation and stop the production of lipofuschin . He then surmises there must be many others antioxydants able to achieve the same feat, without naming them.

He then stresses the most important point remains not to consume PUFAS and foods rich in iron, rather than to load up on these antioxydants.

10. Is ethyl alcohol an antioxidant?
    That was what threw me.

And either way, there wouldn't appear to be much follow up from Peat (since 1996)
    on this putative dramatic removal of age pigment from brains--
    by vitamin E in ethyl alcohol or by straight ethyl alcohol.
    Yes, I know Peat recommends vitamin E as a general PUFA fighter/controller.
    But in all the other stuff I've read by him,
    I've never heard him mention ethyl alcohol
    as a great antioxidant for quick removal of age pigments in the brain,
    nor have I even heard him say that vitamin E can have
    such dramatic, quick effect on brain deposits of lipofuscim.

Makes me think Peat changed his thinking on the experiment.

11. Alcohol reduces blood serotonin. That's probably why people self-medicate by drinking.

I wonder what else alcohol does. Does it actually increase metabolism similar to fructose?

12. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1878 ... t=Abstract

13. You have to remember these were experiments with brain cells inside a culture medium, not IN VIVO studies.

So i don't believe we know the exact conditions , or the efficiency of removal by Vit E IN VIVO ( unless there's a study mentioned by Ray), or any other antioxydant, for that matter.

Vit E by itself , according to the Shute brothers mainly, is a terrific antioxydant, protecting against infarcts, diabetes degenerative changes in blood vessels, blood clotting, atherosclerosis, and infertility ( and a whole other things i don't recall right now).

It's effects are potentiated by Vit C and selenium. Blaylock mentions it's able to protect neurons from excitotoxicity when combined to Vit C.

14. I believe i've heard Ray mention that alcohol in small dosages has antioxydant properties.

And i know for a fact people drink alcohol for it's extremely high caloric index; it gives ( temporarly) a tremendous energy boost when you need it for physical and strenous activity.

15. Re: KMUD: Weight Gain, Foamy Urine, Fats, Light Therapy, Dre

This interview shows a bit of how Peat's views changed on protein. He advised having at least 50 grams, now he advises to eat at least 80 grams of good quality protein.

16. This surprises me.
    I've heard Peat say that alcohol is estrogenic.
    Then again: seems like he refers sometimes to the yeast used to make some alcoholic beverages
    as being the estrogenic factors--maybe not the alcohol itself...?

17. Boy...sure can't say I've ever experienced that. :D

18. It might be both anti-serotonergic and estrogenic at the same time.
    This would probably be a good question to ask Peat.

19. Alcohol reduces PTH, so make sure you get your calcium!

20. OTOH Alcohol increases the activity of aromatase which converts androgens (Testosterone!) to estrogen. Aspirin anyone?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11163119
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/759822

21. Special thanks to "seventhchord " for providing the location of this interview to the community. :hattip

I was awaiting permission from him to credit his name for the find.

22. Thanks, seventhchord!

23. :thankyoublue seventhchord

24. bing.com/ news
    "Is Sobieski the New Puritans Pride"