Nov 2018: Dr. Peat Talks About Cholesterol Esters Causing Aging

yourke

Lysosomal acid lipase (LAL), the enzyme which hydrolyzes lipoprotein cholesteryl esters, is under thyroid hormone regulation in experimental animals. To evaluate whether human LAL is also under thyroid regulation, we measured mononuclear leukocyte LAL activity in 31 hypothyroid, hyperthyroid, and euthyroid children under treatment. LAL activity was positively correlated with serum T3 and serum T4 levels, and was significantly higher in hyperthyroid children than in those who were hypothyroid. In another study, 5 adult euthyroid males were given 50 micrograms L-T3 every 8 h for 4 days. Their LAL activities increased significantly after treatment. The data suggest that LAL activity in man, as in experimental animals, is influenced by thyroid hormone status. Hormonal control of LAL activity may be important in the regulation of human cholesterol metabolism.
Effect of thyroid hormones on human mononuclear leukocyte lysosomal acid lipase activity. - PubMed - NCBI

In adults with myxedema, however, normal or increased ester :total cholesterol ratio occurs. The rise in serum cholesterol is greater than that of phospholipid, and the cholesterol:phospholipid ratio is increased.8 An increase of lowdensity (beta) lipoproteins, both in spontaneous and in induced myxedema, is largely in the Sf 0-12 moiety but is found also in fractions Sf 12-400; all of the abnormalities are reversed by the administration of desiccated thyroid.9' 10 The lipoprotein abnormality may be reversed with very small doses of desiccated thyroid (15 to 30 mg.)."-
https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/pdf/10.1161/01.CIR.22.3.464

yerrag

GAF

Well sometimes it perks me up and gives me stamina for sports activities.

Sometimes it doesn't. Not sure why.

I hope it helps with ester issues but I have no way to tell. In 2007 I had bypass...all arteries blocked etc

yerrag

Well sometimes it perks me up and gives me stamina for sports activities.

Sometimes it doesn't. Not sure why.

I hope it helps with ester issues but I have no way to tell. In 2007 I had bypass...all arteries blocked etc
Thanks. Glad you came through and that must have made you better in your approach towards health.

Since I have to ship overseas, it makes it harder to go with that product. I'll try a 99.9% pure beta-cyclodextrine product 100g from Amazon and see how that goes.

SOMO

I'd be wary of HPBCD, it possibly increases intracellular calcium.

Cyclodextrins as Therapeutics for Lysosomal Storage Disorders | Office of Technology Transfer, NIH
NCATS investigators found that CD (alpha-, beta- and gamma-CDs) increased intracellular Ca2+ and lysosomal exocytosis in both wild type cells and cells with Wolman disease, and reduced the size of enlarged lysosomes in six patient cell lines with LSDs.

I don't think this would be desirable.

yerrag

Some more info on how cholesteryl esters are removed my white blood cells (in this case monocyte macrophages) :

Cholesteryl esters are removed from mononuclear phagocytes only after deesterification with the production of free cholesterol which is then removed by a high density lipoprotein (HDL). Mononuclear phagocytes produce and secrete apoprotein E in the form of phospholipid disc's. It is thought that these particles, along with cholesteryl ester formed by the action of lecithin-cholesterol acyl transferase, are assembled extracellularly into a large spherical particle containing a core of cholesteryl esters and a coat containing apoprotein A-1 and E. This particle may be HDLc which transports the cholesterol to the liver, where it is metabolized.

Clinical Hematology, Wintrobe 5th Edition p. 395

Mito

I never knew anything about them. He says that the buildup of cholesterol esters is what is tied to aging and brain aging, and that even reversing this to create more free cholesterol may help the brain and the body. It is a fascinating newsletter.

I never knew anything about cholesterol esters. What do you know?

SOMO

Have you ever heard of Stephanie Seneff, Mito? She speaks a lot about adequate Sulfate in the diet, which may reduce the formation of these Cholesterol Esters as well, in addition to vasodilation and adequate blood flow seems to be one of those basic things that prevent tissue injury/aging.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals