Nothing Boring About Boron

Inaut

I still think borax in water is the cheapest way to get your boron....1/4 teaspoon in 1 liter of drinking water...i think that comes out to around 20mg...

also, I've been using 1 1/2 tablespoons of borax in 3 cups of water for hair washing followed by vinegar rinse for conditioning...Very happy with the results so far. Curious to see if it will encourage hair growth as well.

Glassy

I’ve just made a new batch of aqueous borax solution. It’s almost saturated at about 30g/L and took some shaking and time to dissolve it at room temp.

I stopped taking it after I ran out of my last batch as I had too many things on the go. I plan to take 2-5 ml per day which is around 6-15mg of Elemental Boron. It seems relatively safe according to anecdotal reports of people taking half a teaspoon per day and I don’t see any definitive evidence that it’s directly estrogenic. I like the reported antiinflammatory activity and reduced excretion of calcium/magnesium, the testosterone increase would be a bonus.

I agree borax seems to be an extraordinarily cheap way to supplement and no less effective. It’s what farmers use to treat soil boron deficits and enables plants to more efficiently use calcium/lime applications.

I also use borax to shift stubborn stains as well as clean the walls of mould/mildew. It’s quite a handy substance.

Mossy

I’ve heard for years about people taking Borax. It would seem that if a supplement, made for internal use/consumption, could have excipients that may cause issues, what are the odds that Borax, not produced to be consumed internally, could have excipients?

I think the obvious answer is that people have been consuming it for quite some time, with no reported issues—but, even so, is this any area of concern for anyone?

Glassy

I’ve heard for years about people taking Borax. It would seem that if a supplement, made for internal use/consumption, could have excipients that may cause issues, what are the odds that Borax, not produced to be consumed internally, could have excipients?

I think the obvious answer is that people have been consuming it for quite some time, with no reported issues—but, even so, is this any area of concern for anyone?

It’s not mined and extracted for human consumption which negates the need for excipients. Think about why cheap excipients are added to expensive supplements/medicines. It’s mainly used for natural washing powders and cleaning aids. The stuff clumps easily and will turn into a brick if moisture is allowed in. Most packs specify its 99.9% borax or higher.

Although I’m pretty sure the stuff used for cleaning is pretty unadulterated, I found a slightly more expensive source (from a health food place) that I was more comfortable consuming (says no additives). It’s marketed as a foot soak or bath soak. It’s still very very cheap (I understand it requires minimal processing once extracted and isn’t that rare).

I was more concerned over the warnings around birth defects and claims it was toxic (which I couldn’t find any evidence of). It’s toxicity is similar to table salt apparently. It still took me over 12 months to work up to actually consuming it, so I was definitely not free of reservations and concerns.

Mito

I think someone asked ray about boron and he said its not required unless there is a deficiency?!

I think supplementing is a bad idea unless you really really have a reason to...it throws off other things and causes imbalances and all sorts of other issues...

In Masterjohn’s Testing Nutritional Status document, he talks about using a Hair Mineral Analysis Test to check for boron deficiency.

Inaut

i view it much the same as baking soda...

Mossy

It’s not mined and extracted for human consumption which negates the need for excipients. Think about why cheap excipients are added to expensive supplements/medicines. It’s mainly used for natural washing powders and cleaning aids. The stuff clumps easily and will turn into a brick if moisture is allowed in. Most packs specify its 99.9% borax or higher.

Although I’m pretty sure the stuff used for cleaning is pretty unadulterated, I found a slightly more expensive source (from a health food place) that I was more comfortable consuming (says no additives). It’s marketed as a foot soak or bath soak. It’s still very very cheap (I understand it requires minimal processing once extracted and isn’t that rare).

I was more concerned over the warnings around birth defects and claims it was toxic (which I couldn’t find any evidence of). It’s toxicity is similar to table salt apparently. It still took me over 12 months to work up to actually consuming it, so I was definitely not free of reservations and concerns.
That is funny, and understandible, that it took you 12 months.

At the store today I made it a point to look at the box of Borax, and I noticed that it does have an isolated line of text that reads “Not for drug use. “. I realize the savings must be immense, but for now I think I’ll stick to the supplement version. As far as supplements go, it’s fairly cheap.

My use of the word excipients was not the most accurate, as I was wanting to point out the potential for extra contaminants or by-products of the productions process, not a vehicle or ingredient(s) purposely and knowingly added.

Mossy

Amazoniac

Vitamin D and Boron | Vitamin D Wiki

Physiological effects of boron

"Results from human studies have also shown that dietary boron may be useful in preventing osteoporosis. When 12 postmenopausal women consumed a low boron diet for 17 weeks, then took a daily supplement of 3 mg of boron for 7 more weeks, serum electrolyte concentration and steroid hormone balance both changed.[4] Within 8 days of beginning the boron supplement action, urinary calcium and urinary magnesium excretion decreased by 40% and 33%, respectively.[4] Calcium and magnesium losses were lower after taking the supplement than before the study. These findings are significant, because calcium and magnesium are necessary elements for maximum bone health.[4]

Nielsen[33] found that dietary boron had the same effect as estrogen supplementation, based on a study with 15 human subjects. Boron satiety increased serum ionized calcium, lowered serum calcitonin concentrations, and increased the serum levels of 1,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol. The effects indicated that dietary boron might benefit calcium metabolism and help prevent bone deterioration. The fact that adequate dietary levels of boron decreased serum calcitonin levels is important, because calcitonin has been shown to increase calcium loss in humans, and serum calcitonin concentrations are higher in women with postmenopausal osteoporosis.[33]

To assess if boron had an impact in premenopausal women, Volpe et al.[46] examined boron’s effect on bone mineral density in female college athletes. Twenty-eight athletic and nonathletic females took either a daily tri-boron supplement of 3 mg or a placebo for 10 months. Results indicated that dietary boron had no effect on bone mineral density. In menstruating females, boron supplementation did not increase steroid hormone concentrations, or did it stimulate bone calcification.[46] Volpe et al.[46] suggested that the dietary intake of calcium, magnesium, or vitamin D may need to be lower in order for dietary boron to benefit bone mineral density.

The mechanism by which boron acts has not yet been established. Present data give evidence that boron alters calcium levels by different mechanisms. Boron’s influence on vitamin D and magnesium metabolism (and thus calcium homeostasis) may be controlled by its influence on cell membrane activity.[9] What is known is that large amounts of dietary boron benefit calcium and vitamin D status in humans and animals.[7]"

"A number of studies have demonstrated that boron influences steroid hormone metabolism,[4,5,9,30,47] and support the hypothesis that boron is necessary for the hydroxylation step in the formation of specific steroid hormones.[47] Boron’s chemistry allows the mineral to complex with organic compounds containing hydroxyl groups, and the formation of testosterone and 17-β estradiol from precursors involves adding hydroxyl groups to a steroid ring. Both 17-β estradiol and testosterone significantly increased in postmenopausal women consuming 3 mg boron/day in the form of sodium borate for 7 weeks.[4] Boron supplementation resulted in a twofold increase in 17-β estradiol levels, a greater than twofold increase in testosterone concentrations (from 0.31 to 0.83 ng/mL) [Elephanto, 2018], and a significant increase in calcium retention in postmenopausal women.[4] Men given 10 mg boron/day in the form of sodium tetraborate for 4 weeks had significant increases in 17-β estradiol levels and tended toward increased plasma testosterone concentrations.[30]

An increase in steroid hormone levels has also been demonstrated in animals. Rats that consumed an equivalent of 2 mg boron/day in the form of boric acid had significant increases in plasma testosterone levels after 4 weeks.[47] In the same study, plasma levels of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D were also measured in order to test the specificity of the action of boron on steroid hormones;[47] dietary boron led to a marked increase in plasma 1,25- dihydroxyvitamin D concentrations. The increased levels of two unrelated steroid hormones support the hypothesis that boron enhances the hydroxylation of steroid rings.[47]

Other reports contradict boron’s effects on plasma steroid hormone concentrations in humans. Ferrando and Green28 studied the effects of boron supplementation in 19 male body builders, ages 20 to 27 years. After 7 weeks of supplementation with 2.5 mg boron/day, no significant effects of boron were observed on plasma total or free testosterone concentrations, plasma boron levels, lean body mass, or strength measurements.[28] Volpe et al.[46] assessed the effect of boron supplementation in 28 females, 18 to 24 years of age. After 10 months of consuming 3 mg boron/day in the form of tri-boron, no significant changes in plasma 17-β estradiol, progesterone, testosterone, or 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D levels were observed.[46] It is possible that boron plays a role in steroid hormone and mineral metabolism when either vitamin D, magnesium, or both are deficient in the diet.[24]"

There are parts discussing its effects on blood lipids, arthritis and brain function for those that are interested.​

The Physiological Role of Boron on Health

"Boron appears to inhibit liver damage by acting on the mitochondria. It reportedly affects the Krebs cycle, the glucose-alanine cycle, and methionine metabolism, thereby reducing oxidative stress and positively affecting the lipid profile of the liver [107]."

"Recent work showed that the animal having sufficient amount of boron were protected from the OP insecticides [59]."

"The oxidative stress induced via endotoxin also reversed by boron administration. Endotoxin affects the organs by generating free radicals, and boron may protect the organs from the oxidation by causing functional and structural changes in the proteins [146]."

"Boron administration has been thought to reduce oxidative stress by increasing the glutathione reserves that neutralize the oxidants [148]. Additionally, the administration of boron increases the levels of GSH, thereby maintaining the toxic effects of malathion [59]. In the neonatal necrotizing enterocolitis rat model, boron supplementation increased the level of antioxidant to prevent the GSH reserves deletion [149]. Boron is also thought to increase the level of antioxidant capacity by reducing the intracellular ROS and Ca+2 ion levels, ultimately averting apoptosis [53, 57]. In addition, the biochemical activity of hepatocyte injury and oxidative stress in hepatocellular carcinoma may also be reversed by boron induction [150]."

"The additional boron intake has obvious immuno-stimulant effects, comprising the enhancement of natural killer (NK) cell activity and T cells proliferation. A recent study showed that boron plays an important role in the organs of the immune system [152]. Experimental animals have shown pronounced signs of enhanced immunity following administration of boron [152, 9]."

Other than those in more details, there's a discussion on its effects on hormones, would healing, anti-inflammation and immunity, cancre treatment (reminds me of Gerson's multiple carrot-apple* juices throughout the day, also his patients were probably very deficient in vit D), interactions with other nutrients, an overview of its metabolic effects, how it's processed in the body, mechanism of action, and toxicity.

upload_2018-10-1_8-2-28.png

The Boron Miracle Ignored...and other orphan agents

Last edited:

Arrade

Vitamin D and Boron | Vitamin D Wiki

Physiological effects of boron

"Results from human studies have also shown that dietary boron may be useful in preventing osteoporosis. When 12 postmenopausal women consumed a low boron diet for 17 weeks, then took a daily supplement of 3 mg of boron for 7 more weeks, serum electrolyte concentration and steroid hormone balance both changed.[4] Within 8 days of beginning the boron supplement action, urinary calcium and urinary magnesium excretion decreased by 40% and 33%, respectively.[4] Calcium and magnesium losses were lower after taking the supplement than before the study. These findings are significant, because calcium and magnesium are necessary elements for maximum bone health.[4]

Nielsen[33] found that dietary boron had the same effect as estrogen supplementation, based on a study with 15 human subjects. Boron satiety increased serum ionized calcium, lowered serum calcitonin concentrations, and increased the serum levels of 1,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol. The effects indicated that dietary boron might benefit calcium metabolism and help prevent bone deterioration. The fact that adequate dietary levels of boron decreased serum calcitonin levels is important, because calcitonin has been shown to increase calcium loss in humans, and serum calcitonin concentrations are higher in women with postmenopausal osteoporosis.[33]

To assess if boron had an impact in premenopausal women, Volpe et al.[46] examined boron’s effect on bone mineral density in female college athletes. Twenty-eight athletic and nonathletic females took either a daily tri-boron supplement of 3 mg or a placebo for 10 months. Results indicated that dietary boron had no effect on bone mineral density. In menstruating females, boron supplementation did not increase steroid hormone concentrations, or did it stimulate bone calcification.[46] Volpe et al.[46] suggested that the dietary intake of calcium, magnesium, or vitamin D may need to be lower in order for dietary boron to benefit bone mineral density.

The mechanism by which boron acts has not yet been established. Present data give evidence that boron alters calcium levels by different mechanisms. Boron’s influence on vitamin D and magnesium metabolism (and thus calcium homeostasis) may be controlled by its influence on cell membrane activity.[9] What is known is that large amounts of dietary boron benefit calcium and vitamin D status in humans and animals.[7]"

"A number of studies have demonstrated that boron influences steroid hormone metabolism,[4,5,9,30,47] and support the hypothesis that boron is necessary for the hydroxylation step in the formation of specific steroid hormones.[47] Boron’s chemistry allows the mineral to complex with organic compounds containing hydroxyl groups, and the formation of testosterone and 17-β estradiol from precursors involves adding hydroxyl groups to a steroid ring. Both 17-β estradiol and testosterone significantly increased in postmenopausal women consuming 3 mg boron/day in the form of sodium borate for 7 weeks.[4] Boron supplementation resulted in a twofold increase in 17-β estradiol levels, a greater than twofold increase in testosterone concentrations (from 0.31 to 0.83 ng/mL) [Elephanto, 2018], and a significant increase in calcium retention in postmenopausal women.[4] Men given 10 mg boron/day in the form of sodium tetraborate for 4 weeks had significant increases in 17-β estradiol levels and tended toward increased plasma testosterone concentrations.[30]

An increase in steroid hormone levels has also been demonstrated in animals. Rats that consumed an equivalent of 2 mg boron/day in the form of boric acid had significant increases in plasma testosterone levels after 4 weeks.[47] In the same study, plasma levels of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D were also measured in order to test the specificity of the action of boron on steroid hormones;[47] dietary boron led to a marked increase in plasma 1,25- dihydroxyvitamin D concentrations. The increased levels of two unrelated steroid hormones support the hypothesis that boron enhances the hydroxylation of steroid rings.[47]

Other reports contradict boron’s effects on plasma steroid hormone concentrations in humans. Ferrando and Green28 studied the effects of boron supplementation in 19 male body builders, ages 20 to 27 years. After 7 weeks of supplementation with 2.5 mg boron/day, no significant effects of boron were observed on plasma total or free testosterone concentrations, plasma boron levels, lean body mass, or strength measurements.[28] Volpe et al.[46] assessed the effect of boron supplementation in 28 females, 18 to 24 years of age. After 10 months of consuming 3 mg boron/day in the form of tri-boron, no significant changes in plasma 17-β estradiol, progesterone, testosterone, or 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D levels were observed.[46] It is possible that boron plays a role in steroid hormone and mineral metabolism when either vitamin D, magnesium, or both are deficient in the diet.[24]"

There are parts discussing its effects on blood lipids, arthritis and brain function for those that are interested.​

The Physiological Role of Boron on Health

"Boron appears to inhibit liver damage by acting on the mitochondria. It reportedly affects the Krebs cycle, the glucose-alanine cycle, and methionine metabolism, thereby reducing oxidative stress and positively affecting the lipid profile of the liver [107]."

"Recent work showed that the animal having sufficient amount of boron were protected from the OP insecticides [59]."

"The oxidative stress induced via endotoxin also reversed by boron administration. Endotoxin affects the organs by generating free radicals, and boron may protect the organs from the oxidation by causing functional and structural changes in the proteins [146]."

"Boron administration has been thought to reduce oxidative stress by increasing the glutathione reserves that neutralize the oxidants [148]. Additionally, the administration of boron increases the levels of GSH, thereby maintaining the toxic effects of malathion [59]. In the neonatal necrotizing enterocolitis rat model, boron supplementation increased the level of antioxidant to prevent the GSH reserves deletion [149]. Boron is also thought to increase the level of antioxidant capacity by reducing the intracellular ROS and Ca+2 ion levels, ultimately averting apoptosis [53, 57]. In addition, the biochemical activity of hepatocyte injury and oxidative stress in hepatocellular carcinoma may also be reversed by boron induction [150]."

"The additional boron intake has obvious immuno-stimulant effects, comprising the enhancement of natural killer (NK) cell activity and T cells proliferation. A recent study showed that boron plays an important role in the organs of the immune system [152]. Experimental animals have shown pronounced signs of enhanced immunity following administration of boron [152, 9]."

Other than those in more details, there's a discussion on its effects on hormones, would healing, anti-inflammation and immunity, cancre treatment (reminds me of Gerson's multiple carrot-apple* juices throughout the day, also his patients were probably very deficient in vit D), interactions with other nutrients, an overview of its metabolic effects, how it's processed in the body, mechanism of action, and toxicity.

View attachment 10845

The Boron Miracle Ignored...and other orphan agents
Very nice! Interesting about the oxidative stress part

Mossy

Mossy

+1
Excellent information!
Additional thought: I’m taking 3mg boron glycinate daily, with the primary hope of raising vitamin D and estradiol. I’ll move to 6mg day if nothing bizarre happens. All the other potential advantages, as listed in @Amazoniac ‘s and @Elephanto ’s posts, will be bonus (should they occur).

My gauge of success will be purely anecdotal, based on how I feel and function.

I can note, I do feel I get blood thinning (light-headed and wobbly) from boron, which I’ve read could happen.

LeeLemonoil

The undiscriminate steroid-hydroxylation effect is concerning to me, not only in regard to estrogen. A lot of the hydroxylated DHEA-metabolites are associated with a lot of pathologies. Maybe not as a cause but an effect. But this might indicate the context-dependency of higher boron intake. If you have an impaired metabolism or in pathological conditions, boron might (!) worsen all that.

[Elephanto 2018] :)

Mossy

The undiscriminate steroid-hydroxylation effect is concerning to me, not only in regard to estrogen. A lot of the hydroxylated DHEA-metabolites are associated with a lot of pathologies. Maybe not as a cause but an effect. But this might indicate the context-dependency of higher boron intake. If you have an impaired metabolism or in pathological conditions, boron might (!) worsen all that.

[Elephanto 2018] :)
Thanks for the additional insight. I will heed this warning as I venture down Boron Road. For a total lay(lame)man like me, it’s pretty much a crap shoot. That is not to say I’m a total ignoramous. I do the best I can to attempt to parse all this detailed information, weigh the plus and minuses, establish reasonable approaches based on my deficencies and symptoms—as well as the insight and experiences of others—and draw logical conclusions. At the end of the day, I’ll have to hang my hat on anecdotal outcome: if I feel better, keep going; if I feel worse, back to the drawing board and RPF.

Mito

Comparative effects of daily and weekly boron supplementation on plasma steroid hormones and proinflammatory cytokines.
Naghii MR1, Mofid M, Asgari AR, Hedayati M, Daneshpour MS.
Author information

Abstract
Boron possesses widespread properties in biochemistry and nutrition. Acute supplementation with 11.6 mg of boron resulted in a significant increase in plasma boron concentration. Given such a fast bioavailability, the objective was to determine whether acute (hourly or daily), and weekly supplementation could have any significant biological effects on the steroid hormones and further on some inflammatory biomarkers. Eight healthy male volunteers attended the laboratory on three occasions (days 0, 1 and 7). On the first day (day 0), a blood sample collection at 8.00 A.M was followed by ingestion of placebo with the breakfast. On the next day (supplementation-day 1), similar procedure was followed by ingestion of a capsule containing 10mg of boron. On both occasions blood was collected every 2h for the next 6h. Subjects were requested to consume a capsule of 10mg boron every day with their breakfast, and on the day 7, the blood collection was carried out at 8.00 A.M, again. Boron in plasma increased significantly following hours and weekly consumption. Six hours supplementation showed a significant decrease on sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG), high sensitive CRP (hsCRP) and TNF-α level. After one week (in samples taken at 8.00 A.M, only), the mean plasma free testosterone increased and the mean plasma estradiol decreased significantly. Dihydrotestosterone, cortisol and vitamin D was elevated. Also, concentrations of all three inflammatory biomarkers decreased after supplementation. Of note, despite decreased proinflammatory cytokines, based on recent clinical data, this must be the first human study report to show an increase level of free testosterone after boron consumption.

PMID:

DOI:

10.1016/j.jtemb.2010.10.001

Mossy

Boron supplementation resulted in a twofold increase in 17-β estradiol levels,...

...plasma estradiol decreased significantly.

I’m guessing there is a difference between these two estradiols; if not, maybe a difference in factors/variables of the studies to have such contradictory results.

LeeLemonoil

17-Beta Estradiol and Estradiol are the same.
Curiously in the latter estradiol-lowering results - study Cortisol was elevated. Intriguing substance boron in that such a mundane substance so drastically changes steroid levels. It’s likely a massively hormetic substance , so efffcts of supplementing will depend on the physiological context of the individual.

olive

Raisins are a fairly good source of boron. Recommended or not?

Elephanto

Raisins are a fairly good source of boron. Recommended or not?
Dried fruits are sometimes very high in Aluminium, not sure why. They're also much higher in phytoestrogens than their fresh versions and commonly trigger Histamine reactions.

The mean concentrations of aluminum in chewing gums, dried fruits, chocolate, jellies, dried squid pieces, and candies were 36.62 mg/kg, 300.06 mg/kg, 9.1 mg/kg, 2.3 mg/kg, 7.8 mg/kg, and 24.26 mg/kg, respectively.
Investigation of aluminum content of imported candies and snack foods in Taiwan. - PubMed - NCBI