Notes Toward An "Optimal Peat Diet"

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I had to do the same thing with ice cream. Set is aside for a treat. The every night deal is a belt stretcher for me. :rolling

4peatssake

Charlie said:
I had to do the same thing with ice cream. Set is aside for a treat. The every night deal is a belt stretcher for me. :rolling

Oh boy you can say that again - and I mean please, who eats a 1/2 cup of ice cream? :crazy:

HDD

Just discovered BJ's half gallon for $9.99. Because HD is so dense, I rationalized I would only eat a small amount. Ha! I just go back for more. I need to share better with my son. :D

4peatssake

Haagendazendiane said:
Just discovered BJ's half gallon for $9.99. Because HD is so dense, I rationalized I would only eat a small amount. Ha! I just go back for more. I need to share better with my son. :D

:rofl :rolling :rollingred

You are definitely my sister!! And I love your name!

I buy extra HD pints and it is my teenagers who tell me to leave their's alone. Now THAT is very sad.

Rayser

4peatssake said:
Rayser said:
gretchen said:
^^I hope this doesn't sound stupid :----) , but can't most people, once they've decided to go Peat, figure out what optimal is? You go buy the food from the list then start counting grams of this and that, and note whatever happens next. You get in a groove, feel totally amazing (at least until the weather changes), but start gaining weight like crazy, and eventually have to go to the mall to buy a new wardrobe.

It sound real smart to me, gretchen.
Only I can wear my old wardrobe again. I have lost the Peat-pounds after a year.
At the beginning I overdid the fats.

Good grief this is me now - over doing the fats and gaining weight. pffft

Being perimenopausal doesn't help! ;) Good news at least is that I'm on to this and have banished my beloved haagen dazs to the occasion rare treat. :cry:

You know what funny, 4peatssake? My mother (74) had the same problems with weight gain after switching to now-PUFA, no vegetables e.c. as me. We used cream and coconut oil and butter and cheese with 50% fat (Ray Peat calls it "hard butter"), had ice cream every night. So it was really no wonder.

But then we did two months of the limited diet he suggested: 1 liter of fresh pressed orange juice, 2 liters 1% milk, 1 egg, 2 carrots (salad would be good but you can eat them raw) and for the "in between" some fruit (mostly water melon or mango) and cottage cheese (4 % fat). After that we had both lost about 4 to 5 kg. It was so incredibly fast I think. We started to eat the whole diet again after that and both worried a little that we might gain the weight as fast as we lost it. We did not!

4peatssake

Rayser said:
4peatssake said:
Good grief this is me now - over doing the fats and gaining weight. pffft

Being perimenopausal doesn't help! ;) Good news at least is that I'm on to this and have banished my beloved haagen dazs to the occasion rare treat. :cry:

You know what funny, 4peatssake? My mother (74) had the same problems with weight gain after switching to now-PUFA, no vegetables e.c. as me. We used cream and coconut oil and butter and cheese with 50% fat (Ray Peat calls it "hard butter"), had ice cream every night. So it was really no wonder.

But then we did two months of the limited diet he suggested: 1 liter of fresh pressed orange juice, 2 liters 1% milk, 1 egg, 2 carrots (salad would be good but you can eat them raw) and for the "in between" some fruit (mostly water melon or mango) and cottage cheese (4 % fat). After that we had both lost about 4 to 5 kg. It was so incredibly fast I think. We started to eat the whole diet again after that and both worried a little that we might gain the weight as fast as we lost it. We did not!

This is sweet music to my ears! I read your words incredulously and thought, oh please God let this happen to me too!! :pray

The limited diet you mention is pretty much where I have gone now, save for the cottage cheese (but I did pick up some ricotta to try) I'm going to add the second carrot you mention as I think it would help.

I daresay I have more than 4 to 5 kg to drop but I can do this. :woo

gretchen

4peatssake said:
Charlie said:

Oh boy you can say that again - and I mean please, who eats a 1/2 cup of ice cream? :crazy:

I will at the local Hagen Daazs this summer. OK, 2 scoops is a cup. ;)

It's just sooo much easier to keep the weight off without the ice cream.

4peatssake

gretchen said:
4peatssake said:
I mean please, who eats a 1/2 cup of ice cream? :crazy:

OK, 2 scoops is a cup. ;)

I swear too that that lil ole pint is scarcely a cup. Honest to Peat! :mrgreen:

HDD

4peatssake said:
gretchen said:
4peatssake said:

:lol: :lol: My other new diet killer is Jenn's potatoes fried in c.o. with lots of salt! Although, I must say my temperature has been hitting 99 the last couple of days !

4peatssake

Haagendazendiane said:
4peatssake said:
gretchen said:
4peatssake said:

:lol: :lol: My other new diet killer is Jenn's potatoes fried in c.o. with lots of salt! Although, I must say my temperature has been hitting 99 the last couple of days !
Oh man, if I have to give up potatoes with salt and butter, I think I'll have to :hanginground

Just when I can finally eat what I have deprived myself of for so long I gotta watch or I'll soon be the size of a house! :rolling

And the recipes on Jenn's blog? - they're killer. :mrgreen:

All kidding aside, I must say I'd rather be complaining about this than still feeling my way in the dark wondering what the hell is wrong with me.

I feel so much better and I'm not too worried (yet) that my clothes have gotten more than a little snug - uggg. So far, I trust both the process and myself to work my way through! We may be but a few travelers on this path, but others have gone before us with success!!

:tease OK, I know that smilie is completely out of context here but I wanted to use it. I think perhaps I've taken too much Progest E. :crazy:

Jenn

4peatssake said:
Charlie said:

If I could afford it, I would . I lost 5 lbs eating coffee Haagen daz every day/evening for a week, a half pint in a sitting. It has to be haagen daz, not any other brand. The guar gums in other ice creams will put on weight something fierce, for me.

It's not calories, it anything YOU body cannot digest an assimilate is a toxin and will add weight. Anything that aids the liver in its own detoxing process, helps you lose weight.

4peatssake

Jenn said:
4peatssake said:
Charlie said:

If I could afford it, I would . I lost 5 lbs eating coffee Haagen daz every day/evening for a week, a half pint in a sitting. It has to be haagen daz, not any other brand. The guar gums in other ice creams will put on weight something fierce, for me.

It's not calories, it anything YOU body cannot digest an assimilate is a toxin and will add weight. Anything that aids the liver in its own detoxing process, helps you lose weight.

This is very interesting to me Jenn. I only eat coffee Haagen dazs - I nearly consider it a staple. ;)

I'm fairly convinced my liver is a major issue and the gut. So assimilation is a big issue for me. I find it interesting too that I am mostly interested in eating potatoes, lots of potatoes with milk, butter and a ton of salt, OJ, milk, and coffee, milk, sugar and gelatin. I also eat eggs, fried in coconut oil but I think I need to ensure I drink a goodly amount of OJ and milk with them due to the drop in blood sugar.

Last night, I ate 1/2 pint of coffee haagen dazs not long after dinner - lean hamburger + baked potatoes - because I felt I needed it to to counter balance the protein. I could feel the drop in blood sugar and thought whoa, don't want to go there. I am experimenting and making my way sometimes 3 steps forward, 2 steps back - I value others' experience like yourself and I am most interested in doing all I can to correct primarily through nutrition.

I'm not opposed nor unwilling to supplement (I am going to take RP's advice and begin taking cynoplus and cynomel and aspirin) but I remain convinced that nutrition is the key.

Despite the conditions we find ourselves in regarding food supply, I still believe that it is possible to recover some semblance of an ability to eat instinctively and intuitively for well being. I strive for that - that is my goal. I'm not even sure I lost it completely especially when I look at my cravings during my first pregnancy - the strongest ones were for OJ and potatoes. I would travel clear across town for my french fries! :lol:

Appreciate you being here Jenn.

Rayser

Jenn said:
I lost 5 lbs eating coffee Haagen daz every day/evening for a week, a half pint in a sitting. It has to be haagen daz, not any other brand. The guar gums in other ice creams will put on weight something fierce, for me.

Really? You LOST weight eating ice cream? When I asked Ray Peat for advise for weight loss I listed my entire diet and the first thing he mentioned was that there were far too many calories and that I should limit the ice cream to two table spoons a day.

He did say I should eat all day so my metabolism wouldn't slow but he advised me to be careful with fat. For instance eat cottage cheese with 4% fat instead of cheese with 50% or use milk for the coffee instead of cream. And to eat about 4 table spoons of coconut oil if I use those calories - go outside every day to walk or do exercise with the dumb bells (only a few minutes at a time).

Ray Peat knows exactly how much calories he gets every day and I am getting there. I don't think you can lose weight by adding more calories than you use up.

gretchen

4peatssake said:
gretchen said:
4peatssake said:

I was up to almost 110 a few weeks ago, quelle horror! :shock: The Hagen Daazs just had to go.

I've been asking about various Peatian staples at health food stores lately and have noticed that pretty much no stores- not a food co-op, health food chain store or smaller old-school vitamin/supplement health food store- carries Great Lakes gelatin, and no oysters either, and often no liver. I have decided these must be amongst some of the least popluar/"wrong" foods in the world. (from the perspective of the health food stores, which carry all sorts of other "healthy"/trendy type foods like grass fed beef etc)

kiran

gretchen said:
I've been asking about various Peatian staples at health food stores lately and have noticed that pretty much no stores- not a food co-op, health food chain store or smaller old-school vitamin/supplement health food store- carries Great Lakes gelatin, and no oysters either, and often no liver. I have decided these must be amongst some of the least popluar/"wrong" foods in the world. (from the perspective of the health food stores, which carry all sorts of other "healthy"/trendy type foods like grass fed beef etc)

Surprisingly, Vitamin Cottage does carry great lakes gelatin, albeit more expensive than online though.

4peatssake

Rayser said:
When I asked Ray Peat for advise for weight loss I listed my entire diet and the first thing he mentioned was that there were far too many calories and that I should limit the ice cream to two table spoons a day.

Alas I think I need to banish my HD until I am healthier and the diet is working well. I am going to stick with the basic protocol that supports weight lost - even avoiding the starch and give up potatoes for awhile.

Rayser said:
He did say I should eat all day so my metabolism wouldn't slow but he advised me to be careful with fat. For instance eat cottage cheese with 4% fat instead of cheese with 50% or use milk for the coffee instead of cream. And to eat about 4 table spoons of coconut oil if I use those calories - go outside every day to walk or do exercise with the dumb bells (only a few minutes at a time).

This seems like really good advice. For sure, I need to be careful with fat. There is no question for me about that. I have lots of evidence to know this is true.

Well, back to the lab I go. ;)

4peatssake

gretchen said:
I was up to almost 110 a few weeks ago, quelle horror! :shock: The Hagen Daazs just had to go.

male22-male-cry-tears-smiley-emoticon-000064-large.gif
me 2, although sadly the scale is registering well above the 110 mark.

gretchen said:

I thought I had it bad when paleo was unfashionable and I was cruising through the health food stores. I don't even tell anyone what I am eating now. I'm sure they would lock me up and see my initial weight gain as proof that they are right and should lock me up rather than understanding I am still tweaking things and have only begun the healing process.

Jenn

I don't actually eat very much. I can't digest too much at one time. I "eat" most of my coconut oil through my skin. (Yes, it helped with weight loss too, body heat and appetite satiety.) There was a time, when I first started, a half a potatoes worth of fries would fill me up...because I would CHEW thoroughly. Your stomach is actually supposed to empty in an hour, 2 at the most. If it's still there in 3 hours, it may try to come back up...hence all the heartburn/acid reflux medicine on the market. ;)

I eat mostly sugar/potatoes and as much protein as I can digest in an hour. I am lucky if I get to 50 g....but it's a lot more than I used to get. I eat enough sugar though that I don't think I am wasting any protein by converting it to glucose.

Coffee HaagenDaz happens to be an easier to digest food for me.

Rayser

Jenn said:
I don't actually eat very much. I can't digest too much at one time. I "eat" most of my coconut oil through my skin. (Yes, it helped with weight loss too, body heat and appetite satiety.) There was a time, when I first started, a half a potatoes worth of fries would fill me up...because I would CHEW thoroughly. Your stomach is actually supposed to empty in an hour, 2 at the most. If it's still there in 3 hours, it may try to come back up...hence all the heartburn/acid reflux medicine on the market. ;)

I eat mostly sugar/potatoes and as much protein as I can digest in an hour. I am lucky if I get to 50 g....but it's a lot more than I used to get. I eat enough sugar though that I don't think I am wasting any protein by converting it to glucose.

Coffee HaagenDaz happens to be an easier to digest food for me.

Jenn, I obviously misunderstood you in another post when you said something about 24 hours "transit time" between eating and stool.
May I ask for the source of the information that the "stomach is ... supposed to empty in an hour, 2 at the most"?
I'm afraid that would put me and everybody I know in the not-so-healthy range.
But I have never had heartburn or acid reflux in my life.

I don't see the connection between "easy to digest" and "not putting on weight because of it".

Jenn

I worked with a nutritionist who understands Peat's info.

I haven't had heartburn or reflux either, but a lot of people do because they are eating food, but not actually digesting it. It need to go somewhere, so it goes up instead of down.

If you eat a meal and it still in your stomach at the end of the day (would happen to me frequently, but was not aware of it, when I ate meat/fat), you have not actually gotten any benefit from the food. I was confusing "full" with nourished. Yes, I believe a lot of people are not as healthy as they think they are.

Now, mostly in the summer when I am less stressed, I can eat meat at night (lowest stomach acid levels of the day) and actually have an empty stomach in an hour or so. It's rare still, but it does happen from time to time. Mostly I am ecstatic if I can digest meat in the AM. I still have trouble with the assimilation in the intestines after digestion. More food getting too the intestine means more work.

I never really realized how bad off I was until I started getting better. Only now can I even conceive of the possibilities. If your "standard" is already unhealthy and you are not even as healthy as they are......

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals