Not sure what happened (but probably tanked my nutrition)

Peata

I've had some problems lately. Toward the end of my period about two weeks ago, my anxiety went up.

Alcohol cravings came back.

For the last couple weeks during this, I've noticed the following:

My protein intake dropped. Instead of 80 g. per day, I'd get less, sometimes only get 50 g. for example. One day I only had 35 g.

I stopped using my B supplement that also has taurine and caffeine (it's an energy drink mix, not Peaty).

I stopped using l-theanine.

On Cronometer, I haven't been getting enough of some of the nutrients, like B vitamins. Specifically, vitamins B1, B3, B6

Potassium is on the low side. Magnesium could be better.

Ate pretty much no fruit.

I've pretty much lived on liquids. I get some solid food each day, like carrot and a little of whatever I make for dinner. Mostly I was drinking coffee and Coke. Alcohol. I just didn't seem to have the appetite for much meat or protein foods.

Alcohol cravings start early in day and continue all day and evening. Yes, I've been back on the sauce.

Besides anxiety, I had depression. I pretty much never have to deal with depression, so this was bad. Suicide ideation.
----

My calcium/phos ratio has stayed good. PUFAs still low.

I'm not sure why my appetite changed to where I wasn't eating what I used to. I didn't set out to wreck myself. It seemed to be a cycle where I didn't want much food, probably caused me to feel worse, therefore didn't want food...
----

I'm making myself drink more milk again for the last couple days.

I had the energy drink mix the last couple days in a row. (that has the B vits, taurine, caffeine, etc.)

Made my protein requirement yesterday.

Made pretty much all nutritional requirements yesterday.

Today is the first day I do not crave alcohol.

Anxiety better, depression pretty much gone. I hope it was all nutrition related. If so, I can keep that in mind and made sure I get more nutrition if things start to go bad - I can just look and see if I was slipping.

OP
Peata

Peata

Re: Not sure what happened (but probably tanked my nutrition

Looking for your thoughts on this. And I'll admit, looking for encouragement too. Thanks.

juanitacarlos

Hmmm....are alcohol cravings about sugar? Maybe it was just a hormonal ***t storm that knocked you off track? Maybe healing is a b**** sometimes? It's so hard to explain stuff sometimes, but if you are feeling better, maybe it was just a temporary phase you needed to go through. Is there some sort of external stress affecting you? Have you in the past, craved alcohol for particular reasons?

OP
Peata

Peata

ttramone said:
Hmmm....are alcohol cravings about sugar? Maybe it was just a hormonal s*** storm that knocked you off track? Maybe healing is a b**** sometimes? It's so hard to explain stuff sometimes, but if you are feeling better, maybe it was just a temporary phase you needed to go through. Is there some sort of external stress affecting you? Have you in the past, craved alcohol for particular reasons?

I'm not sure if the anxiety and cravings came because my nutrition dropped during my period, or if it was something else.

Not really external stress. There really wasn't anything outward that happened that should have fired it up.

The times I've craved it is because of feelings of anxiety, I guess. It helps knock it down. But I don't know if all that goes back to nutrition again. While the anxiety was going on, I knew I shouldn't be feeling it - that nothing was going on that I should have been reacting that way. I was craving sugary drinks and eating hard candy in place of meals.

I'm just glad I'm not craving today. It's like a switch was flipped since yesterday and I can't be interested. Hoping this really is a nutrition thing, because like I said, I can control that at least.

juanitacarlos

Well I'm glad you're feeling better. It's hard to say what happened. I just think personally getting well on every level is incredibly hard and takes a long time. There are bound to be days, weeks and sometimes months where you will feel like you've gone backwards. I honestly think it's part of the process and can't always be explained. Don't be too hard on yourself - you're doing your best trying to change things that probably took a lifetime to create. I believe in you!

OP
Peata

Peata

ttramone said:
Well I'm glad you're feeling better. It's hard to say what happened. I just think personally getting well on every level is incredibly hard and takes a long time. There are bound to be days, weeks and sometimes months where you will feel like you've gone backwards. I honestly think it's part of the process and can't always be explained. Don't be too hard on yourself - you're doing your best trying to change things that probably took a lifetime to create. I believe in you!

Thanks. Seem to be feeling better lately. I guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

4peatssake

Peata said:
I've had some problems lately. Toward the end of my period about two weeks ago, my anxiety went up.

Alcohol cravings came back.

For the last couple weeks during this, I've noticed the following:

My protein intake dropped. Instead of 80 g. per day, I'd get less, sometimes only get 50 g. for example. One day I only had 35 g.

I stopped using my B supplement that also has taurine and caffeine (it's an energy drink mix, not Peaty).

I stopped using l-theanine.

On Cronometer, I haven't been getting enough of some of the nutrients, like B vitamins. Specifically, vitamins B1, B3, B6

Potassium is on the low side. Magnesium could be better.

Ate pretty much no fruit.

I've pretty much lived on liquids. I get some solid food each day, like carrot and a little of whatever I make for dinner. Mostly I was drinking coffee and Coke. Alcohol. I just didn't seem to have the appetite for much meat or protein foods.

Alcohol cravings start early in day and continue all day and evening. Yes, I've been back on the sauce.

Besides anxiety, I had depression. I pretty much never have to deal with depression, so this was bad. Suicide ideation.
----

My calcium/phos ratio has stayed good. PUFAs still low.

I'm not sure why my appetite changed to where I wasn't eating what I used to. I didn't set out to wreck myself. It seemed to be a cycle where I didn't want much food, probably caused me to feel worse, therefore didn't want food...
----

I'm making myself drink more milk again for the last couple days.

I had the energy drink mix the last couple days in a row. (that has the B vits, taurine, caffeine, etc.)

Made my protein requirement yesterday.

Made pretty much all nutritional requirements yesterday.

Today is the first day I do not crave alcohol.

Anxiety better, depression pretty much gone. I hope it was all nutrition related. If so, I can keep that in mind and made sure I get more nutrition if things start to go bad - I can just look and see if I was slipping.

:grouphug

I think you laid out very well all that contributed to the descent. I am familiar with it and the best thing is to learn from the experience and move on.

After times like this, the best thing is to simply get back to basics and put one foot in front of the other. Don't dwell on the problem, just focus on the solution.

Think less about food and all this stuff and go have some fun - whatever that looks like to you.
Oh and have one of your famous coffee drinks! :P

Be well!

OP
Peata

Peata

Thank you, 4PS.

No cravings since I upped the nutrition again.

I will note that that during that time of daily drinking, I had much better tolerance to alcohol than I have in the past. (For the longest time, just having one or two drinks felt like several times that along with racing pulse, night waking, anxiety, etc.). Just going by "feel" rather than any lab tests of course, but the last couple weeks when I was drinking daily, it seemed like my liver was on top of its game and burning through ethanol like a champ. Maybe it's the effect of the lowered PUFAs and the fact that I hadn't drank in about 6 weeks, so it had a good rest... I would get annoying head effects though, if I didn't have enough solid food in my stomach - headache, some dizziness, etc. Also some racing pulse.

mandance

Hey Peata, sorry you had a rough patch. Glad to hear its better now though. Seems like you did identify the problems already and have fixed them. Still unpleasant that a honest slip could result in such unpleasant feelings. If you ever get depressed or anxious feel free to ping me if you want someone to chat with. Hope you continue to feel good.

OP
Peata

Peata

Thank you, Mandance.

I think sugar "withdrawal", and the caffeine (real this time) withdrawal would do this. It shouldn't last more than three days, though.